5 kakkar for women

for both men and women kesh is the kakaar, not keski. However, right from the beginning there was hukam to keep the head covered for both genders. This is passed down orally from that time to now, and is seen in all different lineages of teachers that came from that time. It is also written in various rahitnamas written by contemporaries of Guruji

13 hours ago, Tina Kaur Bains said:

WJKK WJKF

Please can guru da roop sadh sangat help me with what the 5 kakkars for a female are and where this originated from (as 1699 vaishaki 5 pyare where men)

5 known kakaars

1. kesh
  2. kanga
  3. kara
  4. keeshra
  5. kirpan

I dont see any where keski, or keeping head covered - ie for women with a chunni or scarf.

Bhul chuk maaf.

Sister, Keski is not a Kakkar, but covering head is a must in Sikhism for both men and women. Women can wear a Keski or a Turban to cover their head, but it is not mandatory.

The five Kakkars are the same for males and females.

Bhul chuk maaf

I think there is a great deal of Identity crisis in the world. You want to cover your head you look like a Muslim woman or a Hindu Woman. Your chuni can be mistaken for a Hijab. Hindu women wear same chuni. You could be considered as a Hindu Woman. Sikh Women wears Distar because it is our Identity. There is not argument here. If you say that Kes we did not cut from the beginning but we Guru Nanak's Followers always covered their head. Guru Gobind Singh jee Stamped that Sikhs shall be called Khalsa but Keeping Hair as always existed but with his hand Guru Jee presented 5 Kakars. If Keski, Khanga, Kirpan, Khechera, and Kara. Guru Jee did not put hair on every individual or did he? Long Kes has been represented as wisdom even Christ, Scientist, Philosophers had long Kes. Keski is our crown that Guru Jee gave us. We are equally Kings, Queens or Prince or Princess. A kheski prevents lice, Kheski does not fall off while doing kirtan or in the Guru Jee's Darbar.

15 hours ago, Xylitol said:

for both men and women kesh is the kakaar, not keski. However, right from the beginning there was hukam to keep the head covered for both genders. This is passed down orally from that time to now, and is seen in all different lineages of teachers that came from that time. It is also written in various rahitnamas written by contemporaries of Guruji

Hanji - exactly Kesh. Keeping the Kesh which Sikhs, Native Indians, Native Aborginals and many more tribes around the world who are spirituality connected believe the hair is an extension of the nervous system. Hence the sensitvity and radar like connection with hair. Covering heads for Sikhs and many non sikh religions also exists - is this covering of the head any correlation with Dasama Darbar (Crown Chakra) being covered ? As sometimes, I cover my head wearing a scarf loosely around my neck other times I do not. Hence Im trying to go with the flow of a feeling then a strict set of intellectual rules of guidelines - as guidelines and rules are easy to interpret intellectually and become more of doctrine like Islamic Wahbbism. Leaving the essence of core experience far de-attached. Sikhi is more a way of life then a religion indoctrinated .....Im trying to feel and understand, please do not be offended. Bhul Chuk Maaf Karna

14 hours ago, JasperS said:

Turban is also mentioned in Guru Gobind Singh Ji's 52 Hukams, with no gender specified.

There is also a hukamnama sent by him to Kabul (though admittedly many think it is fake) where he listed the kakaars and no gender was specified. 

Ah ! Thank you . I never knew this. The hukamnaama that dhan dhan guru gobind singh jee sent was this from SGGS ji, Dasma granth, Sarlobh granth ?(please note Im still on SGGS ji and larivaar is yet to complete).

9 hours ago, paapiman said:

Sister, Keski is not a Kakkar, but covering head is a must in Sikhism for both men and women. Women can wear a Keski or a Turban to cover their head, but it is not mandatory.

The five Kakkars are the same for males and females.

Bhul chuk maaf

Veer ji - thank you. Kesh is before covering of head. Was covering of head to protect the head or dasma darbar and for cleanliness of hair ? Reason I ask, is I actually love covering my head with a chunni/scarf when I meditate simran, yoga or jap. I love going inward and hiding from the world - a bit like a hermit. My family often worry about me day dreaming (always have since I was a child) - having a covering I know I would go inwardly completely and de-attach from the world. Yet, please correct me if Im wrong here, Gurbani teaches us to Live in this world, attached yet detached (paradox) ?

Bhul Chuk maaf karna

9 hours ago, paapiman said:

@Tina Kaur Bains

The below is from a Rehatnama (code of conduct).

Those who walk outside, eat or distribute food without their head covered will be punished severely.

Unquote[1] 

[1] - http://www.sikhitothemax.com/Rehat.asp?ID=56

Bhul chuk maaf

Thank you jee!  Sharing Sikhi to Max I often go to that site- before continuinng on Rehat Nama - (as Im still ast stage of SGGS ji and larivaar)... The meaning of Rehat and Naama ? Rehat is Character ? and Naama (Naam). Hence a RehatNama is the similar to a islamic haddith or sunnah ?

Surely, Rehat focuses on character. Especially when I hear Guru gobind singh jees words "Rehat Pyari, Sikh Neyhi Pyara" - resonates in terms of character more than appearance (as inward is far more difficult than outward)....."Jeeahu maile baarahu niramal, baahrahu nirmal jeehau ta maile tinee janam jooaai haaria"....

Same way Guru Gobind Singh Jee wanted to distinguish Sikhs as a Vaakri Comm, hence the identity. Yet as women covering  head borders very closely with islam (whabbi sect)... where the haadiths outline for covering women not quran. Just like in SGGS ji no mention of head covering or is there ? Please correct me here... Yet nuns who are out of gristi are different since they are truly de-attached. 

Hence you see why I try to keep my mind shut and feel more - as the feeling will lead , "man neeva maath oochi, e man chanchalaa chatuaree ee kinaa na paaeia"

Bhul Chuk Maaf Karna

1 hour ago, Guest XYZ said:

I think there is a great deal of Identity crisis in the world. You want to cover your head you look like a Muslim woman or a Hindu Woman. Your chuni can be mistaken for a Hijab. Hindu women wear same chuni. You could be considered as a Hindu Woman. Sikh Women wears Distar because it is our Identity. There is not argument here. If you say that Kes we did not cut from the beginning but we Guru Nanak's Followers always covered their head. Guru Gobind Singh jee Stamped that Sikhs shall be called Khalsa but Keeping Hair as always existed but with his hand Guru Jee presented 5 Kakars. If Keski, Khanga, Kirpan, Khechera, and Kara. Guru Jee did not put hair on every individual or did he? Long Kes has been represented as wisdom even Christ, Scientist, Philosophers had long Kes. Keski is our crown that Guru Jee gave us. We are equally Kings, Queens or Prince or Princess. A kheski prevents lice, Kheski does not fall off while doing kirtan or in the Guru Jee's Darbar.

precisely, identity borders and is s form of  ego. Yet one of the main principle of Sikhi - is to let  surrender to the ego. Paradox.  Please correct here if otherwise.

I do deeply love this "Mera muj me kuch neyhi, jo kush ha so tera, teri tujh ko soumph ke kaya laga mera "