The Fighting Traditions And Fighting Arts Of The Traditional Sikh Warriors The Beloved of Guru Gobind Singh Ji The Akali Nihangs Edition 2 1998

Crystal

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

Dear Sangat,

(unsure if this was ever posted on here)

I have come across this book written by Nidar Singh back in the 90s, I have seen on another topic the person who posted this used this book to discredit the vidiya of Nidar Singh. This was posted on the internet four years ago..In those four years he has started training students in many other countries.

http://www.shastervidiya.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/The-Fighting-Traditions-And-Fighting-Arts-Of.pdf

I enjoyed reading this book and learnt a lot about jung vidiya, the terminology used, what certain words mean etc.

'http://www.shastervidiya.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/The-Fighting-Traditions-And-Fighting-Arts-Of.pdf''

(1) Guru Hargobinds duel with Mugls Khan as described by Kavi Santokh Singh Ji . ‘Siri Hargovind keh smukh Hoeh . ‘Bhu mreh pju nahen Kaj hoeh .’ Facing Guru Hargobind ( Mugls Khan said ) . ‘Many have died nothing has been achieved . ‘Abh mor tor ranh hev kral . Avehlokh lokh hrkeh bisal .’ Lets you and me fight a fierce battle . May the people see and be greatly happy . ‘Keh maroh-n aph keh leoh mareh . Tab hoeh har keh jeet kar .’ Either I will be killed or I will kill you . Then will be loss or victory . ‘Gur sunjhu sabhan koh dejh htaeh . Abh khareh pikeh ranh ker da-eh .’ The Guru heard and told every one ( Meaning Akalis) to back off . Now stand back and watch the skills of war . ‘Ooteh T-urk hateh nahen kavh kaleh . Eet Sikh miteh Gur bakh nalh .’ Over their the Muslims backed off fighting not . Over here hearing Gurus word the Sikhs backed off . ‘Arh preh beer donho sdir . Sabh lakeh Pata Baji soh Khan .’ Both warriors were great . Muglskha-n watched carefully the Guru’s archery . (Pta=Pats=sword / Ptkabaji = Swordmanship = Chatka Gatka = total leathal skills of war hence including archery ) . ‘Pikh Guru sang kiniseh bkhanh . Meh chaho-n Kharg koh karn jang .’ Seeing the Guru he said . ‘I wish to fight with a sword . ‘Tum teer tjuh bal adik sangh . Samta nah champ bidya mjar .’ You dispense arrows with great strength . I do not posses equal skills of archery . ‘Badeh marteh hoh prithmeh nihareh . Sunh dharm yudh kee riteh janeh .’ You see first and shoot great arrows .’ Listening to the traditions of righteous battle and understanding . ‘Gur preh utreh tajeh kikkan . Samsher gehee samh sher hath . Guru Ji got of his horse and forsook his bow . In a tiger like hand he took the tiger like sword .

‘Bhu Gurv Puladi badeh satheh . Jaeh lagt loh koh kat-h jaeh .’ Many armours did Guru Ji cut with it . Where ever it fell it cut through iron . ‘Haj narin katan kiya keh bnaeh . Sabh lipteh so-n chamk char . For cutting horse and men what can be said is made . All were adorned with gold and glistened . (The above two lines are difficult to translate even though a transliteration of the above lines can be easily made . But then again are irrelevant to our main object of study meaning Gurus Pentras . Thus when I was taught by my Ustad Ji , who taught from memory . Rather than giving me complete translations of the passages concerned he mainly concentrated on recounting only the portions of the passages actually dealing with the Pentras of battle ) . ‘Krh bamh sath geh mhd dar . Uth Muglskha-n khenchi Kirpan .’ In his left hand (Guru Ji ) held a shield . Dismounting Muglskha-n drew his sword . ‘Geh Sipar pju jabeh savdanh . Bhu lkheh daeh eet oot bchaeh .’ When taking hold of a large shield he was ready .

Many techniques did he consider moving this way and that . ‘Ranh riti firteh ch-heh karneh ka-eh . Hoeh bam dahneh karteh nerh .’ Observing the traditions of the battlefield he moved about desiring to kill . Moving left and right coming nearer . ‘Gur smukh aeh chahet so-h perh . Siri Har Govind tabh kehseh taeh-n .’ Coming face to face with the Guru he wished to fight . Siri Guru Hargobind Ji said to him . ‘Sunh Khan jitak bidhya so-h paeh . Sabh kareh dikhavneh ajh aph .’ ‘Listen oh Khan the (Martial) knowledge you have learned . All off it today you show . ( If a warrior claims to posses secret techniques of battle one of the way’s , but not necessarily the best way , to find out is to fight him so he is forced to use them . Guru Ji above first want’s to see what Pentras Muglas Khan has then play his own Pentra .) ‘Bisvas jas keh treh daph . Dal duhneh ker jodha dikhanteh .’ With confidence and gaining praise fight with pride . Soldiers of both armies are watching . ‘Sabh jeet harh as-ah tranteh . Abh prthmeh varh krh leh prharh .’ All are hoping for victory not defeat . Now the first strike you strike . ‘Avlokeh bal ketikh jujar . Sunh dhir sahet-h Gur keh so-h benh .’ Our strengths ( Skill) many warriors are watching .’ Listening patiently to the words of the Guru . ‘Tabh Muglskha-n krh smukh nenh . Chahit prharh nahen davh paeh .’

Then Mugls Khan focused his eyes . He desired to strike but could not see a opening for a technique . ‘Jeh hthohn Kharg tanh leh bchaeh . Krh agar daleh adho kreh .’ If I strike with sword he will save himself . He will put shield in front and block the blow . (Mugls Khan is thinking to himself ) . ‘Hoeh nefil var kush nahen sreheh . Gur savdhan hoeh choferh .’ The technique will be wasted nothing will be gained . The Guru is alert and moving all around . ‘Samsher hath samh shere hereh . Tkh rehoh bhut-h nahen davh paeh .’ Sword in hand like a hunter he (Guru) is stalking . He (Mugls Khan ) is watching for a opening but he can find none . ‘Tabh parhju aneh Aseh koh uthaeh . Oopar jnaeh trh koh parharh .’ Then attacking (Mugls Khan is trying to create an opening for attack ) raises his sword high . Feigning attack too above he delivers a low blow . ‘Gur gaeh koodh ga shoosh var . Pun Kharg sees kee dish chlaee .’ Guru Ji leapt and evaded the blow . Then (Mugls Khan) struck at the Gurus body . ‘Gur Sipar shigar hee krh bchaeh . Teh rokh oopereh hath leeneh .’ Guru Ji with speed blocked the blow on his shield . Taking the blow on it . ‘Geh Kharg aphno var kineh . Pujkeh tareh so-h tehen lagj jaeh .’ Grasping his sword (Guru Ji ) struck his blow . It struck below his arm ( Mughals Khans sword arm .) ‘Bal seht-h bheju es-h bidh sfaeh . Sabh Shashter baster phereh jeh ang .’ With power thus did the sword deal a clean blow . All weapons and clothes on the body . ‘Kat gaeh sakal ekh bar sang . Gan pasreeneh sabh kat deeneh .’ All were cut at once . All the ribs were cut . ‘Jug khand hoeh dahr prneh keen . Sir bhuja seht-h pah ekh khand .’ Cut in two the body fell . Head with arms lay one side . ‘Jug charn jukt duteoh prchand . Imh bheju Kharg sabh kat dareh .’ Legs and feet lay the other side . Thus was the sword wielded all did it cut . Sabooneh teh jimh tarh pareh . Reh gaee akh pasree besal .’ Like wire through soap it cut . His (Mugls Khans ) eyes and ribs lay open . End .

Note ~there are many spelling mistakes in the book

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ke fateh

' My Ustad Ji never told me his name nor did I ask him I referred to him as Baba Ji . He use to say ; ‘All you need to know is that in the Akali Nihang tradition their is only one true Gatka Ustad meaning Gatka Master his name is Akali Nihang Baba Ktapa Singh .’

If their is any one else out there among the Khalsa Kom (Race) with the authentic Platha of Chatkabaji . Then by all means please contact me . In my life time I am obliged by tradition to teach at least five people this complete Chatka Vidiya . Once this is done I can go Gupt(Hidden) if I wish . Plathabaji traditionally is divided into these six categories . (1) Fulthabaji (2) Guthm Gutha (3) Geh Gich (4) Hath Bath (5) Gfm Gfee (6) Paeh Gehneh

At present lacking in Plthabaji some Jahir Gatka Baj have tried to compensate by learning foreign unarmed skills and incorporating them with their Gatka . This in the long run only serves to undermine Sikh martial tradition . Some Jahir Gatkai have gone a different path . With the Chatka Gatka language I have introduced into circulation they are latching onto this and incorporating with their Jahir art . What they will find in the long run as introduce more and more Chatka Gatka into their Jahir Gatka is that Chatka will negate there Jahir art .

I must warn them Chatka is a lethal fighting art . Practised without due attention or experienced supervision can be extremely dangerous . One lad from Manchester on seeing myself and Parmjit demonstrate and give talk on Chatka Gatka . Went away and copying a technique of Chatka Gatka ripped open another young mans arm whilst sparing with him . Thus I recommend caution for any Jahir Gatka Baj who is thinking of incorporating Chatka Gatka technique with his or her Jahir Vidiya .

(2) Bishwa Yudha - Dagger and Knife fighting . Particularly those Daggers and Knives which are held with the tip downward . Bishwa literally means Scorpion .

(3) Fent Yudha - Also Dagger and knife fighting . But particularly those Daggers and Knives which are held like Sword with tip forward at stomach level . Fent literally means stomach .

(4) Augar Shastr Yudha - Combat with various forms of heavy wooden clubs and metal maces .

(5) Ugar Shastr Yudh - Combat with various form of Battle Axes and Sickle type weapons .

(6) Asu Yudh - Fighting with various forms of Short , long , Single hand and Double hand Swords and various forms of Shields .

(7) Pala Yudh - Fighting with various forms of Spears and Lances .

(8) Kapt Hthyar Yudh - Combat with various forms of concealed deceptive weapons such Panther Claws Bagh Nakhe etc.

( 9) Chaptn dee Kiriya - Practice of disarming armed assailants .

(10 ) Dima Dee Lraee - Stone Fighting .

(11) Jtha Yudh - Group Fighting .

(12) Rsal Vidya - Horsemanship .

(13) Nejabaji - Lance and horsemanship .

(14) Dhnu Vidiya - Archery . (

15) Bndook Andaji - Marksmanship with firearms .

(16) Dai Phat Dee Lraee - Study Of Battle strategy .

(17) Tangia Da Gian - Skill of Keeping watch and scouting .

(18) Terna - Swimming .

(19) Mlagiri - Knowledge of Boats . The skill of crossing rivers during the Missal period was very crucial . This is where Mlagiri came into the Chatka Gatka equation . Guru Gobind Singh Ji was nown to keep several boats . On which he would sail down the river and hunt game as it came to drink . The most popular way of crossing a river during the missal period was ; inflating the water carrying goat pouches (Mashka) with air and using there buoyancy to swim across the river . This though not technically a boat but because of connection with crossing rivers was considered part of Mlagiri .

(20) Brin Vidya - Knowledge of healing wounds .

(21) Prachin Sikh Dharmk Te Itehas Da Adyan - Study of ancient Sikh Religious and Historical writings .

(22) Jangi Akali Nihang Prampra Da Adyan - Study of the Martial Traditions of Sikhism ie.the Akali Nihang traditions .

(23) Jangi Bole Da Adyan - Study of ancient battle chants .

(24) Trk Vidya - Art of deriving at the truth through rational reasoning

(25) Malsh Teh Muthi Chapi - Art of Massaging the body . Where as western massage is designed to relax the body . Punjabi massage is designed to flex and limber up the body well as relieve soreness of muscles and limbs . Traditionally it is done applying various oil’s , such as Bdam Rogan (Almond Oil ) , to the body before and after training . Unlike other Martial arts which employ various stretching exercises to flex the body . In Desi (Punjabi) martial arts only Malsh and Muthi Chapi cater for this . Whilst Malsh is being done the Malshi ( One who massages ) whilst rubbing and kneading the body proceeds to twists and turns the joint’s and limb’s thus flexing the whole body .

(26) Shikar - Hunting . This without doubt was one of the most important aspects of Chatka Gatka training . It was the only time you could do regular Chatka with out going onto the battle field . Through hunting animals like deer cunning , stealth , snaring and trapping skills were developed . To develop and test courage the warrior taking a single shot musket in hand or taking a sword and shield in hand went into the densest of jungles to hunt a tiger . A tiger is a animal of great intelligence and cunning himself . With the ability to pounce from thirty feet and slay a man with a single swat of his paw . A hunter who failed to kill the tiger with a single shot from his musket or single blow from his sword . Became tiger lunch . Mounting on horses with lances in hand and chasing down the powerful wild boar who ran twisting and turning . Trying a horse mans horse skills to the limits . The hunter knowing the boar could quickly turn about at any opportune time and knock down the horse and rider . Then with it’s powerful tusks rip open the hunter . Was the best way of training with horse and lance . Shooting wild fowl taught the Singhs to hit moving targets . Shedding and seeing blood and taking life prepared the Khalsa warrior Nihang for the bloody deeds of the battle field . In Gurbilas Dasmi Bhai Sukha Singh Ji writes regards Guru Gobind Singhs Chatka Gatka training thus ; ‘Then went hunting the life of the world (Meaning Guru Gobind Singh Ji ) with many warriors of many types (Meaning warriors armed with different sorts of weapons ) . Against Singhs Guru Ji pitted warriors armed with swords and shields . Some practised with Kartars by themselves they who were warriors of varied skill . One taking a musket with fear in heart he sought out a tiger . (Meaning the fear in the Singhs heart is because of respect of the tiger he hunts ) . The compassionate charitable one (Guru Gobind Jj ) thus in the jungle set up this Yudh Akhara (training place for battle) .’

Everything which is underlined and bold I have seen with my own eyes when I visited Nidar Singhs Akhara many years ago.

However ;;;Joojaroo Vidya ( Science of warriors ) does anyone have any more information on this?

Chatka Vidiya is composed of the following three ele-ments

(shown in order of importance and priority):

1. Bbeck-abbeck dee katha - The paradoxical philosophy

which grants mokhsh (salvation).

2. Ithaasak shatria maryada - Historical martial traditions

which harness martial spirit and give the context to battle

(before fighting it is important to know what to fight for).

3. Dao pech - Traditional Sikh martial techniques com-prising

both platha-baji (unarmed combat) and ayudh

vidiya (hand-to-hand weapon combat).

3 hours ago, Crystal said:

I must warn them Chatka is a lethal fighting art

WJKK WJKF - wow. After trying many dojos - for tae kwon do to karate to jits jitsu to muay thai - I was always fascinated and intrigued by the Chinese philosophic. 

If you know of any locations females can train in london - a basic level as I dont see myself going hunting - its a certain mindset needed to kill. It would be awesome to map these over to Sikh Philosophies and of course keep fit in the process (as eating prashad everyday).... Note I have tried a few Gatka schools in west london and these do not compare to the Dojos in london or canada.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

I would recommend the shastar vidiya akhara on a tuesday in shepards bush. However there is something called the 'art of elusive fighting', I have seen videos of them sparing but have never been to the class...However I read on their facebook it is a mix of old and new martial arts so assuming he has incorporated certain things from shastar vidiya with other elements, you can contact them through their facebook page. 

http://www.shastarvidiya.org/teaching/sava_rakhsha_women.html

Talking about such cuts Bhai Ratan Singh Bhangu in Prachin Panth Prkash says ; ‘Cham mas Shashter lgeh toh Singh maneh nahen . Hadh lgeh tbh bal ghteh tbh Singh kshuk thkaeh-n .’ If weapons hit skin and flesh Singhs ignore them . Only when weapons cut down to bones then are they weakened and they feel some tiredness .

Although Kacheh Hath are initially on whole harmless but in time they can fester up and prove fatal . This was one reason , to suppress the niggling discomfort of such Katcheh Haths that the Guru’s and Nihang Sikhs of old took Sukha and other drugs . Again it must be pointed out in a fight many times an opportunity for Chatka best presents it self only when the opponent is engaged in delivering a Katch Hath or when he is engegaded in a Paka Hath wich you then cancel out with your Pentra . For when you are in hitting range it is also then that you are also within the range of getting hit your self . Thus when a Chatkabaj fights many times he can only open up a opponent by offering up his body or part of it as bait to the opponent

The hallmark of a true warrior is he who recognises Katcha and Paka (Chatka) Hath . Meaning the Katcheh Gatkabaj by not appreciating Katch Paka . Go for strikes which are Katcheh and thus stand a good chance getting themselves killed . By not appreciating Katch and Paka they can not properly anticipate (Tar) correctly an opponents intentions . Thus they become defensively weak . Both the warriors know the duel can only end in one of their deaths . Chatka Gatka can only be done with the mind fully focused on Kal meaning death meaning Chatka meaning Nishchet Jeet meaning a complete victory . Thus unlike in Jahir Kach Gatka in Chatkabaji when indulging in challenges (Mukablas ) , Chatka Gatka can not be play fully shown . It can only be done

The reason why I am saturating this chapter in traditional Chatka Gatka terminology is to show Jahir Gatkabaj how rich is their traditional true fighting system . Jahir Gatkabaj being a impostor Sikh fighting art has no such richness of martial terminology , technique , traditions or Pentra .

Ratan Singh Bhangu in Prachin Panth Prkash talking of battle stratagem Dhai Phat says , ‘ The wise old men have said . Their are two and half strikes in battle . To find opponents weakness and engage the enemy and do maximum damage . Then disengage when the enemy is getting upper hand . Both is a strike each of battle . To kill and be killed is only half a strike of battle .’

The second law of stratagem according to Kavi Budh was ; ‘ Second recognise ones own ability . Then set your goals .’

My Ustasd taught me ; ‘To go on a battle field without a stratagem . Is like cutting ones own throat with a knife .’

When all cowered before the savage Afghans the Khalsa Akali Nihang Dals alone stood against them . They could not defeat them in a single engagement thus they employed the stratagem of , ‘Dai Phat’ . Ratan Singh describes the Akali attacks on Ahamed Shahs forces thus , ‘ By dealing great blows to Ahmed Shah did the Khalsa create great difficulties for him . One Missal got up early morning and went to battle . Another went at mid day . One returned from the fight then second went and took it’s place . Second returned then third went . The Singh Akalis never gave up . If some one died amongst them they say he has been successful . If enemy became to strong they disengaged . But when pursuing enemy turned back the Akalis could be seen returning behind them . Afghans tried hard to engage the Nihangs . Eyes wide open they stood to face the Khalsa . Covered in armour did they and there horses stand . They desired to cut and fight with swords . But Singhs from a distance with muskets dropped them dead . Thus did they annoy Ahmad Shah . With great difficulty did he reach Kabul .’

Kazi Noor Muhamed who accompanied Ahamed Shah a number of times , in 1764 wrote his Jang Nama . In it he describes the Akali Nihang Khalsa Dals battle stratagem . ‘ Oh my Balauch brothers heed my words . Some times fighting they (Singhs) whilst engaging in battle suddenly flee from the fight . Beware do not consider they run away because they are defeated thi is but a war stratagem of theirs . Some times being duped by them some warriors thinking they have won give chase after them . When they (Nihangs) know they have sufficiently separated their pursuers from their main force and no help can come to them from the main force . They suddenly regrouping all at once turn back and attack their pursuers employing their sword in such a deadly manner that the pursuers can not stand before them .’ Summing up the Akali Nihang Singhs stratagem of war Kazi Noor Muhamad wrote , ‘To face the enemy with courage . Then leave the battle field safely .’

14 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

Some good stuff there Crystal. Are you involvde with this "Art of elusive fighting2?

No I am not, I just want to promote a chatka vidiya, mainly shastar vidiya.

However, from the above book Nidar Singh writes his mind on those who incorporate chatka vidiya with western/other martial arts. 

Only reason I posted elusive fighting is because I would rather sangat learn how to fight properly thn waste their time with  exhibitionist gatka. 

End of the day we are a group who needs to stick together all this infighting of my pentra is better than yours, my dhari is bigger than yours, my tulwar is bigger than yours etc etc is not doing anyone favours.

We need to focus on training young ones on how to defend themselves. Too many of our young lads are scared to stand up for themselves/or dont know how to. 

khalsa panth is not a vulnerable panth! quite the opposite!

On 11/8/2016 at 4:19 PM, Crystal said:

Waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

I would recommend the shastar vidiya akhara on a tuesday in shepards bush. However there is something called the 'art of elusive fighting', I have seen videos of them sparing but have never been to the class...However I read on their facebook it is a mix of old and new martial arts so assuming he has incorporated certain things from shastar vidiya with other elements, you can contact them through their facebook page. 

http://www.shastarvidiya.org/teaching/sava_rakhsha_women.html

Thanks Veerji. I went to the mentioned in west london Elusive on drop in visits a year or so ago. It did not gel, the days I did turn up the Sensi was away so training was a bit free- form which frustrated me - as in a Dojo I was used t o discipline. I will try the Shepherds Bush one on google and possibly pop back to springfield road near Sira on a day that the Sensi is actually taking the class. WJKK WJKF

Just now, Tina Kaur Bains said:

Thanks Veerji. I went to the mentioned in west london Elusive on drop in visits a year or so ago. It did not gel, the days I did turn up the Sensi was away so training was a bit free- form which frustrated me - as in a Dojo I was used t o discipline. I will try the Shepherds Bush one on google and possibly pop back to springfield road near Sira on a day that the Sensi is actually taking the class. WJKK WJKF

Tuesday
Central Gurdwara (Khalsa Jatha) London
62 Queensdale Road
London
W11 4SG
18:00 - 20:30

for the shastar vidiya akhara

• 3 years later...