Havan (Fire Ritual) Maryada

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Arsh1469 @Trimandeep Singh @dalsingh101

The below verses are from Sri Sarabloh Gurbani.

ਪਾਵਕ ਬਾਚ ।।

The Speech of Fire

ਮੇਰੀ ਅਗਨਿਤਾ ਭਈ ਸੁ ਸਫਲ ।। ਤ੍ਵ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਧਰਨੀਧਰ ਬਿਲਮ ।। ਤ੍ਵ ਸੱਤਾ ਕਰ ਜਠਰ ਨਿਵਾਸਤਿ ।। ਸਰਬ ਭੂਤ ਕੇ ਉਦਰ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸਤਿ ।।੧।।

"Oh Foundation of the Earth , My nature of Fire is only successful through your Grace! Through your power I reside in the stomachs of people, in the stomachs of all beings I flame.

ਕਾਸਟ ਮਾਂਝ ਹਉਂ ਸਦਾ ਬਸਾਮੀ ।। ਜਠਰਾਨਲ ਬੜਵਾ ਨਿਧਿ ਗ੍ਰਾਮੀ ।। ਸਰਬ ਤੇਜ ਮਮ ਰੂਪ ਜਨੇਸ੍ਵਰ ।। ਭਖ ਭਸਮ ਹਉਂ ਕਰਤੁ ਮਹੇਸ੍ਵਰ ।।੨।।

Within all wood I reside, within all stomachs, and within the submarine volcanos. Oh Master of the servants, I am the form of all illumination, I burn all the food [for digestion] Oh Great Master !"

Unquote[1]

[1] - https://www.manglacharan.com/post/the-speech-of-fire-sri-sarbloh-guru-granth-sahib

Bhul chuk maaf

5 hours ago, paapiman said:

@Arsh1469 @Trimandeep Singh @dalsingh101

The below verses are from Sri Sarabloh Gurbani.

ਪਾਵਕ ਬਾਚ ।।

The Speech of Fire

ਮੇਰੀ ਅਗਨਿਤਾ ਭਈ ਸੁ ਸਫਲ ।। ਤ੍ਵ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ਧਰਨੀਧਰ ਬਿਲਮ ।। ਤ੍ਵ ਸੱਤਾ ਕਰ ਜਠਰ ਨਿਵਾਸਤਿ ।। ਸਰਬ ਭੂਤ ਕੇ ਉਦਰ ਪ੍ਰਕਾਸਤਿ ।।੧।।

"Oh Foundation of the Earth , My nature of Fire is only successful through your Grace! Through your power I reside in the stomachs of people, in the stomachs of all beings I flame.

ਕਾਸਟ ਮਾਂਝ ਹਉਂ ਸਦਾ ਬਸਾਮੀ ।। ਜਠਰਾਨਲ ਬੜਵਾ ਨਿਧਿ ਗ੍ਰਾਮੀ ।। ਸਰਬ ਤੇਜ ਮਮ ਰੂਪ ਜਨੇਸ੍ਵਰ ।। ਭਖ ਭਸਮ ਹਉਂ ਕਰਤੁ ਮਹੇਸ੍ਵਰ ।।੨।।

Within all wood I reside, within all stomachs, and within the submarine volcanos. Oh Master of the servants, I am the form of all illumination, I burn all the food [for digestion] Oh Great Master !"

Unquote[1]

[1] - https://www.manglacharan.com/post/the-speech-of-fire-sri-sarbloh-guru-granth-sahib

Bhul chuk maaf

Underwater volcanoes miss most people's mention. The advanced scientific mindset present in Gurbani is undeniable. 

@dalsingh101 @Trimandeep Singh @Arsh1469

The below verse is from Sri Sarabloh Gurbani:

ਪੂਜਾ, ਤਿਲਕ, ਹੋਮ, ਗਾਯਤ੍ਰੀ, ਸੰਧ੍ਯਾ, ਤਰਪਨ ਧਾਰੋ ॥

Conduct worship, [adorn a] Tilak, [conduct] Havans, [recite] Gayatri [mantras], worship at the prescribed times, instill these virtues [in your heart].

Notes:

ਪੂਜਾ, ਤਿਲਕ, ਹੋਮ, ਗਾਯਤ੍ਰੀ, ਸੰਧ੍ਯਾ, ਤਰਪਨ ਧਾਰੋ ॥

Tilak has traditionally been seen a sign [nishan] of someone who does worship [bhagati] of Parmesvhar. At Takht Sri Hazur Sahib they still apply Tilaks to pilgrams. Traditionally when the Gurgaddi was passed to another Guru a Tilak was adorned as part of the ceremony. Furthermore, annoiting weapons [shastars] with blood is also seen as a form of Tilak, a practise which can be seen at Takht Sri Hazur Sahib and within the Nihung Singh groups.

Hom here refers to Havans. Havan is a traditional practise where a fire is lighted and various materials are poured into the fire. For the Khalsa, Sant Giani Inderjit Singh Ji Raqbawale explained that making langar is a form of hom, as it uses fire and provides for the poor. Furthermore, traditionally the Khalsa would lite Havans when reading Dasam Guru Granth Sahib Ji or when preparing for war. It was seen to appease Vahiguru's Shakti, Chandi. Baba Deep Singh Ji before fighting the Mughals performed a Havan as recorded in Naveen Panth Prakash [written in the 1800s], it says:

Bhul chuk maaf

• 2 years later...

Screenshot_20230730_165813_com.twitter.android.thumb.jpg.a2aed1664f756937c7276fab2c28cbda.jpg

On 6/7/2021 at 1:49 PM, Trimandeep Singh said:

True.

Worshipping idols, bowing towards a specific direction, bowing in front of Qabars (coffins), Rakhi (rakhri), are all symbolism which are rejected by Sikhism even though we can learn from them. 

From Idol worship, we should worship Vaheguru. From Bowing in front of Qabars, we should respect Sants and mahapurush. From Rakhi, we should protect anyone in need.

Trimandeep Singh 

Worship Vahe Guru is the key word the word VaHe GuRu is the most powerful as the Gurbani explains. The definition of VaHe GuRu is very clear in the Gurbani. A true Sikh will respect the words of our final Guru without interpreting it to suit their own agenda. 

Screenshot_20230730_165813_com.twitter.android.jpg

On 12/12/2017 at 8:49 PM, MrDoaba said:

Bro do you think Sikhs had Havan at the time of Anand Kaaraj in the past, i.e. do you think they walked around the holy fire instead of SGGS?

Yes, because the SGGS was not around then and Sikh ideology was in the process. Hindu rituals would still happen with many Punjabis as they were Hindu. It would have been when the SGGS was finalised and the eldest Sons of Hindu families took on the 5 ks and it expanded further after that, maybe then it changed. Even still over time as Hindu rituals were very much common even then. Gurbani embraces this and proudly explains the connection. It clearly captures everything. Guru Gobind Singh himself performed Havan of which Mata Durga offered him his sword. His sword has Mata Durga engraved on it. I never insult our Hindu brothers because our Gurbani embraces it. People cause hatred and Division and twist meanings that are pretty clear in the first place, in our scriptures. Our final Guru is the truth and needs to be read because alot of opinions on here are based on individual beliefs rather than reflected on our SGGS. 

On 5/31/2021 at 9:06 PM, Trimandeep Singh said:

Not to offend anyone but I found these verses in Sri Gyan Parbodh by Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj.

ਅਧੋ ਸੁ ਧੂਮ ਧੂਮਹੀ॥
Many with faces upside down light the fire
ਅਘੂਰ ਨੇਤ੍ਰ ਘੂਮਹੀ॥
Many ascetics roam forsaking their sleep.
ਸੁ ਪੰਚ ਅਗਨ ਸਾਧੀਯੰ॥
Many perform austerity of five fires

ਨ ਤਾਮ ਪਾਰ ਲਾਧੀਯੰ॥੧੦॥੮੮॥
Even they have not been able to know thy limits.

ਅਨੰਤ ਜਗ੍ਯ ਕਰਮਣੰ ॥
(ਭਾਵੇਾਂ ਕੋਈ) ਅਨੰਤ ਯੱਗ ਅਤੇ ਕਰਮ (ਕਰਦਾ ਫਿਰੇ)
The performance of innumerable acts of sacrifices

ਗਜਾਦਿ ਆਦਿ ਧਰਮਣੰ ॥
The performance of the religious act of giving elephants etc. in charity
ਅਨੇਕ ਦੇਸ ਭਰਮਣੰ ॥
Wandering in many countries
ਨ ਏਕ ਨਾਮ ਕੇ ਸਮੰ ॥੧੨॥੯੦॥
All these acts do not equal the merit of the remembrance of the Name of One Lord.

ਕਰੋਰ ਕੋਟ ਦਾਨਕੰ॥
One may perform millions of types of charities
ਅਨੇਕ ਜਗ੍ਯ ਕ੍ਰਤਬਿਯੰ॥
(ਅਨੇਕ ਤਰ੍ਰਹਾ ਦੇ ਯੱਗ ਕਰਦਾ ਫਿਰੇ)
He may perform many types of sacrifices and actions.

ਸਨ੍ਯਾਸ ਆਦਿ ਧਰਮਣੰ ॥
One may adopt the religious garb of mendicant
ਉਦਾਸ ਨਾਮ ਕਰਮਣੰ ॥੧੫॥੯੩॥
He may perform many rituals of a hermit. 

ਜਗਾਦਿ ਆਦਿ ਧਰਮਣੰ ॥
(ਭਾਵੇਾਂ ਕੋਈ) ਯੱਗ ਆਦਿ ਧਰਮਾ ਦਾ ਪਾਲਨ ਕਰੇ,
One may perform the religious acts of the ancient ages

ਬੈਰਾਗ ਆਦਿ ਕਰਮਣੰ ॥
He may perform the ascetic and monastic works.
ਦਯਾਦਿ ਆਦਿ ਕਾਮਣੰ ॥
He may perform the works of mercy etc., and magic
ਅਨਾਦ ਸੰਜਮੰ ਬ੍ਰਿਦੰ ॥੧੭॥੯੫॥
They are all wworks of great restraint, prevalent from times immemorial.

I don't think any type of Sikh Havan or Hindu Havan has been mentioned. If guru sahib has rejected something, doesn't mean we produce a 'Sikh' version of it and justify it by reading certain banis.

There's no need of doing Havan. If it would have been, it must be mentioned in Gurbani. 

Gurmukhs like Baba Harnaam Singh Ji, Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh Ji, Sant Attar Singh Ji and probably Nanaksar waale Mahapurakhs also never engaged in these rituals.

It's better to spend your time reading and understanding bani than to discover new ways to attain Mukti. As long as you follow Rehat and do abhyaas, no-one can stop you.

And even if Havan was in line with Sikhi, we don't find any hukam for this anywhere. So if it's true, still it is not a Paap if you don't do it. This is MY logic for jhatka, sukha etc. We can't find any HUKAMS related to them. But we should just respect those people who do these and focus on ourselves.

Bhul chuk maaf

Trimandeep Singh 

Correct. No place for fire rituals