Ganges River

SinghMunda:

I think it is pretty much obvious to most people how high in regard Hindus hold the River Ganges (stampedes and all!), but I have also heard that it can be holy water for Sikhs too. Is this in any way true?

No, Ganga Jal has no significance to a Sikh of Satguru Nanak Dev.Have you ever seen the Ganga in the lowlands, it's so dirty.Higher up it's crsytal clear in the Himalaya, lovely scenery up there.

Here is full shabad and Guru ji mentioned ganga river. I'm posting full shabad.

SGGS 1021

Maaroo, First Mehl:

He Himself is the earth, the mythical bull which supports it and the Akaashic ethers.

The True Lord Himself reveals His Glorious Virtues.

He Himself is celibate, chaste and contented; He Himself is the Doer of deeds. ||1||

He who created the creation, beholds what He has created.

No one can erase the Inscription of the True Lord.

He Himself is the Doer, the Cause of causes; He Himself is the One who bestows glorious greatness. ||2||

The five thieves cause the fickle consciousness to waver.

It looks into the homes of others, but does not search its own home.

The body-village crumbles into dust; without the Word of the Shabad, one's honor is lost. ||3||

One who realizes the Lord through the Guru, comprehends the three worlds.

He subdues his desires, and struggles with his mind.

Those who serve You, become just like You; O Fearless Lord, You are their best friend from infancy. ||4||

You Yourself are the heavenly realms, this world and the nether regions of the underworld.

You Yourself are the embodiment of light, forever young.

With matted hair, and a horrible, dreadful form, still, You have no form or feature. ||5||

The Vedas and the Bible do not know the mystery of God.

He has no mother, father, child or brother.

He created all the mountains, and levels them again; the Unseen Lord cannot be seen. ||6||

I have grown weary of making so many friends.

No one can rid me of my sins and mistakes.

God is the Supreme Lord and Master of all the angels and mortal beings; blessed with His Love, their fear is dispelled. ||7||

He puts back on the Path those who have wandered and strayed.

You Yourself make them stray, and You teach them again.

I cannot see anything except the Name. Through the Name comes salvation and merit. ||8||

The Ganges, the Jamunaa where Krishna played, Kaydar Naat'h,

Benares, Kanchivaram, Puri, Dwaarkaa,

Ganga Saagar where the Ganges empties into the ocean, Trivaynee where the three rivers come together, and the sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage, are all merged in the Lord's Being. ||9||

He Himself is the Siddha, the seeker, in meditative contemplation.

He Himself is the King and the Council.

God Himself, the wise Judge, sits on the throne; He takes away doubt, duality and fear. ||10||

He Himself is the Qazi; He Himself is the Mullah.

He Himself is infallible; He never makes mistakes.

He Himself is the Giver of Grace, compassion and honor; He is no one's enemy. ||11||

Whoever He forgives, He blesses with glorious greatness.

He is the Giver of all; He does not have even an iota of greed.

The Immaculate Lord is all pervading, permeating everywhere, both hidden and manifest. ||12||

How can I praise the inaccessible, infinite Lord?

The True Creator Lord is the Enemy of ego.

He unites those whom He blesses with His Grace; uniting them in His Union, they are united. ||13||

Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva stand at His Door;

they serve the unseen, infinite Lord.

Millions of others can be seen crying at His door; I cannot even estimate their numbers. ||14||

True is the Kirtan of His Praise, and True is the Word of His Bani.

I can see no other in the Vedas and the Puraanas.

Truth is my capital; I sing the Glorious Praises of the True Lord. I have no other support at all. ||15||

In each and every age, the True Lord is, and shall always be.

Who has not died? Who shall not die?

Nanak the lowly offers this prayer; see Him within your own self, and lovingly focus on the Lord. ||16||2||

For Gurmukhi translation please visit this link @ http://www.sikhitothemax.com/Page.asp?Sour...D=3737&Format=2

Guest Javanmard

IN the NIrmala ardas the Ganges is mentioned alongside the Sarasvati, the Yamuna and the Godavari. They are tiraths not because they are such in Hinduism but because our Guru defeated brahmanism.

I went to Haridvar to take a bath at Hari ki Pauri. All these purohits asking me to let them perform puja for me for a few hundred rupies. Guess what I did:

not only did I tell them to go away but when I bathed I threw Ganges water in the opposite direction like Guru Nanak did. After 500 years these guys still don't like that. Mind you I would be a liar if I said that there is nothing special about the Ganga but then again it's only up north where it's clean and pure.

maybe the ganges does hold something special for the sikhs...

SHALOK, THIRD MEHL:

He does not understand himself; he believes the Lord God to be far away. He forgets to serve the Guru; how can his mind remain in the Lord's Presence? The self-willed manmukh wastes away his life in worthless greed and falsehood. O Nanak, the Lord forgives, and blends them with Himself; through the True Word of the Shabad, He is ever-present. || 1 || THIRD MEHL: True is the Praise of the Lord God; the Gurmukh chants the Name of the Lord of the Universe. Praising the Naam night and day, and meditating on the Lord, the mind becomes blissful. By great good fortune, I have found the Lord, the perfect embodiment of supreme bliss. Servant Nanak praises the Naam; his mind and body shall never again be shattered. || 2 || PAUREE: If someone slanders the True Guru, and then comes seeking the Guru's Protection, the True Guru forgives him for his past sins, and unites him with the Saints' Congregation. When the rain falls, the water in the streams, rivers and ponds flows into the Ganges; flowing into the Ganges, it is made sacred and pure. Such is the glorious greatness of the True Guru, who has no vengeance; meeting with Him, thirst and hunger are quenched, and instantly, one attains celestial peace. O Nanak, behold this wonder of the Lord, my True King! Everyone is pleased with one who obeys and believes in the True Guru. || 13 || 1 || SUDH ||

SGGS Page: 854

Any thoughts on the above verse??

not only did I tell them to go away but when I bathed I threw Ganges water in the opposite direction like Guru Nanak did. After 500 years these guys still don't like that. Mind you I would be a liar if I said that there is nothing special about the Ganga but then again it's only up north where it's clean and pure.

Guru ji did that to prove that empty rituals don't hold any weight. I don't think your example related to this thread.