What can we do for Sikhs in India

Guest BikramjitSingh

Guest BikramjitSingh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I am not sure whether this topic has been discussed before but I would like the views of fellow members on what we the Sikhs in the west who are fortunate to be well off financially can do to help Sikhs in India.

We all know that it is now common to see Sikh youth in Punjab with cut hair. In some districts such as Ludhiana and Jullundur it is a major problem, in Amritsar, and the Malwa minus Ludhiana it is not such a major problem. Having visited Punjab a number of times since 1988 I have noticed the trend. In 1988 even the Hindus used to wear a turban in fear of Sikh militants. This is of course wrong as they should not have had to be afraid to practise their own religion. The josh in the youth was strong. Most of the youth in my village talked of joining the Kharkus to fight the Indian government. I remember that at that time even the Hindu patwari who we met in connection with a court case was of the view that Khalistan was only a matter of time. This situation remained the same in 1989 when I visited India again. In fact it was stronger. By 1995 after Beant Singh's congress tyranny the josh as well as the commitment to Sikhi started to wane. The situation is now no different.

So my question is how can we Sikhs in the west help our fellow Sikhs regain their josh and commitment to Sikhi. I know that many will think that Sikhi Parchar is the business of the SGPC and we should leave them to it. What I am looking are suggestions of what we can aim to do and how we can do it.

GurFateh

Bikramjit

Here are the points.

1. Send money and have someone organize Gurmat Camps.

2. Start giving "Dasvandh" for Sikh history literature and stop giving donation for new building of Gurdwaras.

3. Start free computer centers in villages of Punjab.

4. Start encouraging rural population of Punjab for education.

5. Publish all the good books related to Sikhism for free via internet.

6. Stop calling yourself so and so but only Sikh of Guru

7. Say "NO" to all the organizations, Deras of Neo saints.

8. Start free tour of Gurdwaras of Punjab for everyone on monthly bases.

9 Start free health Gyms and encourage youth to participate and it will stop drugs usage.

10. Start orgnizing "gatka" or Shastar Vidya competitions in Punjab.

11. Produce movies like "Ucha Dar Babe Nanak Da" with keeping Gurmat theme.

12. Shabad Gurbani, katha CDs should be given for free.

Last but not least, we need to build image of Guru ka Sikh who has no hate for anyone and raise his voice for injustice. One who helps everyone without any discrimination of caste, religion or race. We need to follow all the guidelines Gurus used to bring awareness.

Guest Punjabi Nationalist

What truthsingh is suggesting would take an awful amount of time, planning, and money. Especially the 'free computer centres in villages of Punjab' and 'free health gyms'.

These are all great ideas, dont get me wrong, but a more realistic approach would be encouraging youth to stay in education and attend Gurdwara at least once a week.

The rest is upto them i guess...

• 2 weeks later...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I am not sure whether this topic has been discussed before but I would like the views of fellow members on what we the Sikhs in the west who are fortunate to be well off financially can do to help Sikhs in India.

We all know that it is now common to see Sikh youth in Punjab with cut hair. In some districts such as Ludhiana and Jullundur it is a major problem, in Amritsar, and the Malwa minus Ludhiana it is not such a major problem. Having visited Punjab a number of times since 1988 I have noticed the trend. In 1988 even the Hindus used to wear a turban in fear of Sikh militants. This is of course wrong as they should not have had to be afraid to practise their own religion. The josh in the youth was strong. Most of the youth in my village talked of joining the Kharkus to fight the Indian government. I remember that at that time even the Hindu patwari who we met in connection with a court case was of the view that Khalistan was only a matter of time. This situation remained the same in 1989 when I visited India again. In fact it was stronger. By 1995 after Beant Singh's congress tyranny the josh as well as the commitment to Sikhi started to wane. The situation is now no different.

So my question is how can we Sikhs in the west help our fellow Sikhs regain their josh and commitment to Sikhi. I know that many will think that Sikhi Parchar is the business of the SGPC and we should leave them to it. What I am looking are suggestions of what we can aim to do and how we can do it.

GurFateh

Bikramjit

Khyal nek hein. but tell me one thing .. what excatly u meant by help. What type of Josh you are talking about???? Josh for becomming militant??? Huh!! If this is the case, please be there where you are.. nobody wants this type of help. Do you guys think that sikhs in India are less commited to the religion then you.???? How many of you, who live OUTSIDE, didn't cut their hair?? Just because you can post your views on Internet doen't make you MORE RELIGIOUS veere!!!

I am sorry if i have taken the wrong meaning out of your words... but i wrote according to the first impression of your post..

Having said this, I appriciate the list of Truth Singh, since it talks about for benefit of people... (however the word Free, is hurting sometime..).

Yes, and I agree that "free" hurts sometimes but when we are living in reality then we know how the situation is in India for sikhs. I'm not sure about cities but in villages a simple sikh is living under the poverty line and in that case if we will have fees I don't think there is any way for them to get back to their religion. All they need financial support which NRI sikhs can provide very easily but they don't and my list was based on reality.

Why so many were converted to sikhism in the times of Gurus? Simple, they were doing the exact whatever they were preaching. They served free langars and went to houses of their followers to show them support.

I have read news that one community didn't allow another community to eat langar at the same place, just because they were lower than them. I have read one community didn't allow cremation to another community just because they treat them lower than them. I have read that in most of the Gurdwaras of Punjab, you get selected on bases of your caste and approach not on your qualification? And at the end they all are sikhs.

Khyal nek hein. but tell me one thing .. what excatly u meant by help. What type of Josh you are talking about???? Josh for becomming militant??? Huh!! If this is the case, please be there where you are.. nobody wants this type of help. Do you guys think that sikhs in India are less commited to the religion then you.???? How many of you, who live OUTSIDE, didn't cut their hair?? Just because you can post your views on Internet doen't make you MORE RELIGIOUS veere!!!

I am sorry if i have taken the wrong meaning out of your words... but i wrote according to the first impression of your post..

Having said this, I appriciate the list of Truth Singh, since it talks about for benefit of people... (however the word Free, is hurting sometime..).

I agree with Sardu, thatz xactly what we are discussing in another thread in this forum...

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...opic.php?t=1759

I hope that addz to this very important discussion...

Humbly

Yes, and I agree that "free" hurts sometimes but when we are living in reality then we know how the situation is in India for sikhs. I'm not sure about cities but in villages a simple sikh is living under the poverty line and in that case if we will have fees I don't think there is any way for them to get back to their religion. All they need financial support which NRI sikhs can provide very easily but they don't and my list was based on reality.

Why so many were converted to sikhism in the times of Gurus? Simple, they were doing the exact whatever they were preaching. They served free langars and went to houses of their followers to show them support.

I have read news that one community didn't allow another community to eat langar at the same place, just because they were lower than them. I have read one community didn't allow cremation to another community just because they treat them lower than them. I have read that in most of the Gurdwaras of Punjab, you get selected on bases of your caste and approach not on your qualification? And at the end they all are sikhs.

Agree with you... I Wrote the last line with more emotions than logic.. actually it hurt me, thinking that i m the one who is living in the same country so its more of my duty...