MEDIA SUPPORTS MALE ATHLETES!!!

lil_princess

SSA!

Hello!

I just thought i make a post about WOMEN in sports. When is the last time you watched women sports?? Media and society seems to support men through sport activities. If you just flip to TSN all you see is men playing football, soccer, tennis, hockey, basketball, golf... I think the only thing that women are watched for in sports is iether golf or tennis and sometimes basketball. I don't know it seems unfair to me. I think society should support women in sports. Men get more paid then women too. I am no feminist but i do think that next time you watch your sports on tv you think about whos playing, men. Have you ever seen women play hockey, football?? I know a lot of girls who are better in sports then their male peers! Anyways i just thought i will voice my opinion? What do you peepz think? Is it soceity or media to blame??

valid point, but the problem is that many women themselvs wouldn't support womens' sports.

in Canada, CTV launched the WTSN, Womens The Sports Network, as a sister station to The Sports Network.

Due to lack of support from female viewers or male viewers for that matter, the channel has been discontinued. This is in Canada, so i'm not sure about the U.S or anything.

i agree that WTSN had not a lot of viewers, i watched it once in a while, but the main reason that it didn't succeed was because there wasn't enough businesses willing to advertise there, therefore no money from ads and stuff! and this is beacuse of not a lot of viewers, and plus WHY does a station have to say WOMEN TELEVISION SPORTS NETWORK?? why can't women be seen playing sports on TELEVSION SPORTS NETWORK? are women too bad to be seen on these stations? Its sad!!!!

are women too bad to be seen on these stations?

not at all..it's simply a question of finances and business sense. It had been tried before. The only womens' sport that is marketable is Women's Tennis because of sexualtiy, and lo and behold... TSN does it.. I don't think whether it's women or men has anything to do with TSN's programming. They're a business, and if Womens Hockey made more money and attracted more viewrs than Mens Hockey, then there would definitely be more women's hockey.

i agree that WTSN had not a lot of viewers, i watched it once in a while, but the main reason that it didn't succeed was because there wasn't enough businesses willing to advertise there

again, it's all about business. Companies won't advertise if ther's no benefit for them. Because Women's Sport just doesn't make many viewers, those companies won't see their ads, and theregore they won't advertise, sending the channel who doesn't get any viewers into bankruptcy.. it's all business, and it's all a vicious circle. That's why it may seem that Women's sports isn't being supported. It's all business.

i agree its all business and stuff, its just how society is and how we grew up to be! Maybe if ya waz a girl it wud hit ya a lot harder! or maybe im juz overreacting! but im happy i live in CANADA, where girlz actually can play in high level athletics! i mean whens the last time you heard of a girls indian soccer team? i haven't !!!

• 2 months later...

Tennis also is at the level where the women playing it are performing at a high level that makes it very interesting to watch. The sexuality is certainly not a drawback, but if that's all that was needed to attract an audience, then there would be women's aerobics televised in prime time on ESPN.

I think women's sports are suffering from a lack of stars. I don't mean the media making people a star...but true standout players.

I think sports fans like to see a good duel, a good rivalry, a good contest! If Annika Sorenstam was regularly battling it out between 4 other standout golfers, I think the LPGA would have more fans than it does now. Perhaps the WNBA would too.