Training after 40 - experiences and tips

dalsingh101

19 minutes ago, sevak said:

The best way to explain this would be as follows:

Person A: Resting Heart Rate is 50bpm

Person B: Resting Heart Rate is 70bpm

If both ppl are made to run 10k at the same speed. Person A, will expend less energy. His heart rate will be lower versus person B. His heart will be working efficiently. 

When you practice LHR (Low Heart Rate training) you are increasing the efficiency of your heart by doing the relaxed pace more & more efficiently. If you are working out at HIIT, you are already maxed out.

Based on Maffetone method: 180-Age should be your max heart rate while training. 
This applies to running, cycling. May not apply to Akido, as Im not familiar.

I will later post dangers of HIIT. There are many victims in the community. Atrial Fibrillation is most common. Google “HIIT and Atrial fibrillation.”

I understand bro. What you don't seem to realize is one can do the low heart rate, and intervals, and the intervals can mantain the heart rate. 

Take a fat guy. His optimal heart rate is what? So he starts running for four seconds until it climbs then he's gonna have to slow down, then speed back up, then slow down. And his knees are going to be weak so he has to walk sometimes. As he continues the optimal heart rate changes, he runs faster and longer. But for him to start, to improve and to maintain heart rate fat boy is going to have to do intervals. 

Anyone who wants to keep proper speed must also run intervals. You can't sprint five miles at optimal heart rate. 

You can do intervals changing speed and stride, and maintain heart rate. Heart rate and intervals are not mutually exclusive. And in fact related for everyone who can't run five miles at an optimal heart rate. 

11 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Or here. Try this. Apply maffetone to sprinting. What's it look?

Maffetone is for endurance athletes -Long distance running and Cycling.

For sprinting u will need 80% Maffetone in the beginning to build ur base, then slight 20% HIIT to build pace.

14 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Define intervals to you? Because I'm willing to bet high exertion and high heart rate are part of your definition.

Running / Cycling at high heart rates like 170Bpm or higher. Keep ur heart rate high for long duration. Eg. Running full speed on treadmill 30-45 minutes.

Just now, sevak said:

Maffetone is for endurance athletes -Long distance running and Cycling.

For sprinting u will need 80% Maffetone in the beginning to build ur base, then slight 20% HIIT to build pace.

So an 80 20 interval. Endurance is fine for exercise and good in life. But everyone needs to work speed too. Unless they intend to never run from or at anything. 

5 minutes ago, sevak said:

I have Given up exercise besides moderate walking.

Yeah because you long distance ran too much like a robot. Off road intervals dude. With your walks. You'll be running again. Joyfully. Short intervals in no time. 

Walking is the best, but you want to be able to emergency run right? Or play with a kid some day?

If I'm allowed to fully heal from the years of alcohol, tobacco and kaam I hope to be in the best shape of my life at 50. Gurbani says we aquire new strength up until this point. It's considered the top class in cycling and things like Aikido. 

You have ten more years of growth before going into maintenance mode Hanji. And that can last beyond your seventies. Look at Jack Lalanne. 

20 hours ago, sevak said:

Over 40 now. No interest LoL

No bhai ji, please.

Our ancestors trained hard for war regular. They were known for their shocking endurance and speed in long distance marches.  

1 hour ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Right. Babba Deep Singh Ji Shaheed. How old? 70 plus?

Maybe even older? A lot of other greats weren't teenagers either, Akali Phoola Singh (shaheed age 62), Hari Singh Nalwa (shaheed at 46), Sham Singh Attari was well into his 50s when he charged the wasps. 

37 minutes ago, sevak said:

That is Roohani Power- comes from Gurbani.

No, bhai ji, it also came from training, which Guru sahib had his Sikhs doing (hunting, martial arts, wrestling and probably a bunch of other stuff we've forgotten about now. Look at Hola Mohalla.

Do yourself a favour brother, don't give up on physical activity. I have close associates who are the same age as me, who gave up on training a while ago. They aren't in good shape when it comes to mobility. That's not to say that people who train don't get issues as well, but then that's about training smarter I guess. 

This is even more important if your job has you sedentary at a desk for most of the day. 

26 minutes ago, sevak said:

This is from Bhagti. Not Training. Alakh Niranjan ! 

0BBBAEB3-1B58-4495-AA37-5C601205B1F5.jpeg

Bhai ji, you can make excuses, but keeping yourself physically fit is important. The role of diet and exercise in this is well known. 

Do yourself a favour and don't let your munh trick you into sloth. No one is saying that bhagti and exercise are mutually exclusive.