Pre-tied turban like a hat?

Taken from another forum...

Today I was on a commercial airline flight from Calgary,

Alberta (Canada) to San Jose, California. There was

another turbaned man on board. When I saw him,

I thought to myself, "It's nice to have a Sardar aboard."

After the flight was in progress, he wanted to take a nap.

So he took off what appeared to be a starched and

pre-tied turban (like a hat), and he placed the turban-hat

in the overhead storage compartment on the plane.

This revealed his Patka, in which he took his snooze

aboard the plane. After the pilot informed the passengers

via the public address system on the plane that we would

soon land, the Sardar returned his turban-hat to his

head.

This whole episode blew me away. This Sardar must

have been in his mid-50s or early 60s--certainly not a

young boy to be seen in a Patka only.

I know that the whole practice of turban wearing is

a personal thing, but was the behavior that I witnessed

good "Sikh etiquette" or not?

I'm sure I'll be enlightened by the folks on this e-mail

list. Thanks in advance for your input!

Please remain in Chardhi Kalaa.

Gur Fateh

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, i never wear a starched turban however it can come in handy in places like that. After getting stranded on Ashkabad airport for 7 hours in december 02, my pugh was all going the rong way :P ( didn't know how to tie it properly then ) . So i had to go to the toilet and retie it. Even though

the floor was clean, i held the rest of the pugh between my knees while trying to wrap it around my head. :wink: u can't trust the floor of anotha man's toilet.

Took a proper effort so a Starched turban wud have come in handy. But i still wouldn't use it , cos now i can tie a proper dastar wich can last atleast 2 - 3 days without loosing shape or grip :)

starch paghs not only look incredibly stupid....but are against sikhi! why dont you just wear a hat?

WJKK WJKF,

What about tying a starched dastaar that is tied everyday?

My dad has a starched Pagh as thats the way he was bought up ( born and bred in Kenya). Saying that a starched Pagh looks stupid is offensive.

Theres nothing about a starched Pagh that is tied everyday that is against Sikhi.

For anyone that may want to know 'why a starched Pagh', its because my grandad used to work in construction and a starched Pagh was better in the conditions he had to work in, and my grandad passed on this style to his son (my dad).

WJKK WJKF

I'm teeling you guys that the "jats" tie the best triangle turbans I have ever seen. They are so perfect with all the folds and all!!!! What a gift

Triangle Turbanz :shock: ? How come ?

Turban Styles such as those, of Afriki/Desi style,

http://www.sikhcybermuseum.org/Gallery/WWI...pages/e4670.htm

came about during the pre and WW, when the Sikhs who where recruited into the British Army, in order to be conformist the sikhs where told to tye folded turbans,tye up their beards/wear the same kirpans etc this later spread for convicence sake, when the sikh beards would get caught in the guns the commanding officers would order his soldiers to tye their beards up and smarten their turbans on parades/exhibitions in front of the queen.

http://www.sikhcybermuseum.org/Gallery/WWI...ges/na22803.htm

This then had a knock on affect when the "War turban"ie Bunga was no longer required

http://www.sikhcybermuseum.org/Gallery/Mut...es/02280049.htm

Look at the picture this was a clipping taken from the London News in 1800's when the paid kings,and service men came into play felt resistance from the old singhs, technically nihungs (let's not go into it :LOL: )

pretied turbans are silly. why dont u buy a pretied turban in a shop....

for older ppl maybe its ok, so soz if ive offended ny1, for them its ok, but for ur average singh it is definately NOT ok....those WW2 "singhs" looks silly with their dhari crushed against their face lol

what looks funniest is those big straps that ppl put round their chin.....again no offence 2 any strapwearers here :D

I think its a matter of personal choice, did Guru Gobind singh ji say that Dastar shouldn't be starched?

I tie my darhi thats personal choice, its better to tie it that cut it but then others wud disagree. I say let other people follow sikhi the way they are trying to and not judge anyone, cos we shouldn't be judging.

i think allot of kids nowadays wear those folded style paags because they look neat ... and they dont wanna wear the massive punjabi style paags..

but dastaar/dumalla/bunga rule :yo:

some people have a lil shaster at the top... or a small chakar tucked in at the top - they look cool :D

yo amandeep singh......soz if i offended u.......dnt woz ur dhari looks ok......personally i just leave mine alone maybe thats y its a bit messy lol......i was just dissin peeps who wrap funny things under their chin....aite?

trust a dumalla can look REALLY neat if u have the right material and practise.......punjabi phugs i dnt really like so i just do a neat or gangstah looking dumalla depending on the occassion

i think allot of kids nowadays wear those folded style paags because they look neat ... and they dont wanna wear the massive punjabi style paags..

but dastaar/dumalla/bunga rule :yo:

some people have a lil shaster at the top... or a small chakar tucked in at the top - they look cool :D

true say. i wear a dastaar at highschool, i wanna come walk in with full bana, covered in shastars, and a big nihung style khanda on my dastaar 8)

dat would be pimping...

Turban tying is a art of which I am Proud off... I just love tying it everyday... though initially when I was learning to tie Turban, I also used to do same i.e wear pre-tied Turbanz. But now I just love doing it daily...

It makes me feel distinguished from the rest of the bunch...

I dont agree with pre-tied turbans. Either one should tie a full dastaar or you can tie that round turban... i dont knwo if it is called patka.. but just tyei the saropa of Maharaaj over your head. I usually tie a round turban and over it I tie my big cone-turban.. but sometimes I just tie the round turban and go outside. If u r travelling long journey's in planes then you can tie the round-turban its alright. Tieng a dari is not against the rehat.. that would be to fanatic if you say tieng dari is against the rehat.

I DOnt really see anythin wrong with a tied daari..

coz that is smooth and looks nice

not that open daari doesn't..

but personally think theres nuthin wrong with tying it

now tying a starched Paagh doesn't seem to be really nice..using paagh as a hat.

BUT i mean

if that is a "majbori"..and u can't do n e tihn else

Its better than not having 1 at all!