Pre-tied turban like a hat?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BikramjitSingh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I used to wear a strarched turban during my school days in the 80's. Amardeep Singh probably remembers the 'robins' starch that used to be used. It was convenient because during games you could take it off and then after games you just put it on again. After I left school I stopped using the starched turban and tied one everyday.

As for tying your beard that's a personal choice. The requirement is to leave it is uncut.

GurFateh

Bikramjit

i think tyed dharis give the impression they are trimmed. to tye the dhari is hiding it from the outside world. sikhi doesnt ban it, but i think it definately doesnt encourage it. dhari tying was a trend started by maharaja duleep singh

Don't know how to tackle this question... but in offices it is expected from you to tie you dari properly... It is supposed to be your corporate attire to tie it properly... though I tie it with a Dhaga but never use any starch to keep it in place... I do it with simply wetting my thaa thaa with water and tying around my dari for 15 minutes... it stickz for almost whole day so water does the trick for me... no Starch or Fixo for me...

But when I am at home or on Sunday I usually venture out with open Dari... I love it... though some of people around look towards me surprisingly... :roll: I remember recetly I went to a shoppin mall in Chandigarh with open Dari and Tied Turban, T-Shirt and Jeanz, I was being complimented by fellow Sikhz and ordinary people alike... But doing it offices it simply just like opposing the general code of conduct... They say it doesnt look decent... my collegues also share the same feelingz...

Fateh ji

That may be the case in india but its certainly not the case over here in the UK. It is just a misconception that one should tie his/her( only kidding...lol) dhari when working in a corporate environment. I know of singhs who have been working at high positions in a company and have always had their dharis open. So its just up to the individual, if they self-conscious and think they don't look smart with open dhari, then I don't think there is anything wrong with tied dhari. I personally don't tie my dhari mainly because I don't have much of a dhari :( .

So brothers and sisters, I am relying on your prayers :wink: . Hopefully one day I will have a nice big dhara :LOL:

Fateh ji

My opinions are as follows and i would not have it any other way.

I do not starch my pagh.

I tie my dastaar everyday.

I do not tie my dhara.

Tieing your hair back like a "rockstar" as you say aswell as wearing any type of hat (as some so-called dastaar's have become) is just not on.

Should you choose to be different in your choice then so be it.

ideal paaji...the reason we ie a joora on our heads is to protect our dasam duaar...plus a singh (kaur too, but sum ppl r gonna argue) should have his head covered with a keski (regardless of wether you believe it is kakaar) therefore these pony tail style hair styles cant be accepted....

and why do you always put outside sikhs down....when do sikhs from abroad let down their hair!! if im not mistaken the famous so called 'sikh', sukhbir(indian pop star) keeps his hair down?

and wheres he from??? INDIA!!

ideal paaji...the reason we ie a joora on our heads is to protect our dasam duaar...plus a singh (kaur too, but sum ppl r gonna argue) should have his head covered with a keski (regardless of wether you believe it is kakaar) therefore these pony tail style hair styles cant be accepted....

and why do you always put outside sikhs down....when do sikhs from abroad let down their hair!! if im not mistaken the famous so called 'sikh', sukhbir(indian pop star) keeps his hair down?

and wheres he from??? INDIA!!

I am not letting down anybody... :(

Khalsa Soulja is crazy :twisted:

In the past if u were to join the british army. Your turban had to have eight layers neatly with no butt(Wrinkle) in it or you would be suspended, punished and if your beard was to be neatly tied and if it was trimmed or cut then you were put to jail.

Ok let me rephrase my question:

What is the problem if we do a pony tail of our hair... We are not violating any of Kakkrz... are we :roll: ?

And what is this mystery of dasam duaar... Why it needz protection ? Plz Enlighten ...

Hi everyone, am new to this forum, just a question ....I tie my pug every day..its a desi type...the cloth is actually made from a longer cloth which is cut in the middle and sewn together on the sides thus making it wide...my question.....its very important that the pug I tie must be nice and neat..all the rolls must be arranged nicely, however, I sometimes cant make it happen and my last roll, is sometimes messy..how do the rest of you pull your pug b4 tying it..do u fold it or do u roll it (i pull the pug diagonally and roll the sides)?Does ?anyone use this particular type of cloth? Thanking everyone in advance and keep those replies rolling in..cheers

raveender it really depends on the type of paag/dastaar u tie.. the african style ones are folded and people use thick cotton material - n the material is wide

dumalas and dastaars for me are easier to tie when the material is thin, i think its called aarkandi :? and the lar is fairly narrow

your not gonna get sacked for having a out dhari......i know adults who hav their dharis untied and do office jobs. in the interview they arent going to say "urm we will give u the job, but only if u tie up your beard" :roll:

if worst coems to worst, tie it up for ur interview then let it out free all the other time.

think about it, in gurujis time there was most need for a tied dhari.......nihung singhs with huge bushy 1s goin out into the battlefield......theres a chance it might get slashed by a blade.....and i doubt they put chakars on it lol.......so they could have tied it to make it less likely to be sliced up......but they never compromised gurus form in any way

If there any problem with hair tied backside... like a Rock star ? As being done by some of the Sikhz putting up abroad...

nahman u said as being done by singhs puttting up abroad??

there was no need 4 that mate..

i accept u didnt mean it now....but this is like a regular thing from you so insted of apologising afterwards dont make judgement at the begining.

IDEAL Singh, ever hear of the story of Samson and Delila?

Raveender, i tie a dastaar as yourself and roll it up before tieing. The only thing i can say is take your time and dont rush. You've probably heard this many times but - practice DOES make perfect paji.

Khalsa Soulja, agreed, i have always worked in the City of London and proudly keep my dhara untied and would never have it any other way.

IDEAL Singh, ever hear of the story of Samson and Delila?

I havnt Heard about the story. Plz enlighten me...

accept u didnt mean it now....but this is like a regular thing from you so insted of apologising afterwards dont make judgement at the begining.

Why? Is there any problem with apologisng, Sir...

We are here to judge thingz according to our perspectivez... so if somebody doesnt reconcile with them... not my fault.

urg... forgive me for this everyone.......but for once, Ideal....follow the rules instead of just making your own.... someone asks you to do something, why fight back..and don't compare it to someone asking you to convert to islam.. this isn't gonna alter your life....

Ideal Singh, you seem to have a problem with all Sikhs abroad, you keep referring to them as 'rockstars', I don't see how your description does justice to the Gursikhs here as we work hard and try to do our best to follow the Rehat in sometimes difficult situations abroad. So, unless you have solid proof of NRI Sikhs being 'rockstars' please keep your derogatory remarks to a minimum :roll:

Some information from 'Gateway to Sikhism' which explains what the 'Dasam Dwaar' is in relation to Naam Simran, I hope this answers your question.

The region just behind your forehead is referred to as the Dasam Dwar (Tenth door), by Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji. It is called the the tenth door simply because it is the tenth aperture (opening) in your body - the spiritual opening. The other nine being two eyes, two ears, two nostrils, one mouth, one urinary/reproductory passage and the anus. The dasam dwar is also referred to, in other Eastern religions as the Third Eye - the spiritual eye between the two eyes.

Gurfateh

The region just behind your forehead is referred to as the Dasam Dwar (Tenth door), by Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji. It is called the the tenth door simply because it is the tenth aperture (opening) in your body - the spiritual opening. The other nine being two eyes, two ears, two nostrils, one mouth, one urinary/reproductory passage and the anus. The dasam dwar is also referred to, in other Eastern religions as the Third Eye - the spiritual eye between the two eyes.

Thanx for my improving my knowledge... I really do appreciate...

>IDEAL Cut<

Dear Everybody! Just keep this in mind that I have NO problem with Sikhz living abroad... but itz kind of a strange thing that when somebody claimz that most of Sikhz in India are trimmerz and drinkerz & the passion for Sikhi is not in India... then itz not a derogaory remark... then itz ok for you... but when somebody sayz about someone with a ponytail then some of you dont seem to like it... :roll: Do you think this is fair deal ?

You have to agree one thing that the people putting up abroad are enjoying more freedom to practice any religion even than in India. So, my point is that difficulty is being faced in India as well as Aboard...

In foreign counteries, atleast, nobody conspires against you being a Sikh... In India, you are not at all sure that the person who percieves to be a GurSikh with Rehat may actually turn out to be a RSS worker in disguise... and when suddenly he pickz up a cigrette and burns it Publicaly... we can only mock... these filthy conspiracies are hurting the mentality of Indian Sikhz and usually can do nothing about it... So bear this in mind that situation is equally difficult where ever you are in the World...

For Godz sake try to understand that I am not refering to all overseaz Sikhz but some of them who actaully do pony-tail. And as you must be aware that Sikhz like me in India blindly follow Western lifetyles... Sikhz here in India are actually adapting to this style of ponytail. I dont mean to hurt anyone but you should be strong enough to face the Criticizm/adversity. Whatz the big deal in there? I am just making a casual comment after listening to the viewz of my relativez putting up in USA...

>IDEAL Cut<

Gurfateh

Ok fair enough Ideal Singh. Just don't generalise on the basis of your relative's opinion from USA.

I do understand your point, but it's hard for both Sikhs abroad and in India, so let's leave it at that and continue with the original topic of discussion.

'Timeout!' :LOL:

Gurfateh