Durga Kavach

Mandeep2020

6 hours ago, jaikaara said:

Veer i have tried different websites , i think i need to dig more, i have read somewhere..but now i cannot recollect

Veer ji if you could download and look at this app of Sri Sarbolh Granth Sahib Ji it could help a lot as this is the full sampooran granth. I would have looked at myself but i can't since i can't read or write in gurmukhi punjabi.

Screenshot_20190602-121506_Google Play Store.jpg

12 minutes ago, Soulfinder said:

Veer ji if you could download and look at this app of Sri Sarbolh Granth Sahib Ji it could help a lot as this is the full sampooran granth. I would have looked at myself but i can't since i can't read or write in gurmukhi punjabi.

thanks bro , i did that on friday however this is a scanned copy so cant search 

32 minutes ago, jaikaara said:

thanks bro , i did that on friday however this is a scanned copy so cant search 

I am glad to share veer ji. I didn't know that it was a scanned copy. Here are a few other links i have found including one with a purtaan ladivar saroop avilable as a pdf.

https://archive.org/details/SunpuranSteekSriSarblohGranthSahibJi/page/n21

http://www.gurmatveechar.com/literature

12 minutes ago, Mandeep2020 said:

Thank you Veer ji 🙏🏼

4 hours ago, Soulfinder said:

Thanks @Soulfinder and @jaikaara 

Got the link to Durga Kavach

• 3 years later...
4 hours ago, Inderpal1994 said:

This seems like an interesting post.

I am familiar with Ram Kavach, Bhram Kavach, and Sarabloh Kavach. However, I know nothing of Durga Kavach. 

Can anyone share the gyan behind this bani?

We posted a few quotes in another very recent thread. Gurbani says Durga earned the right to worship through her own devotion to Akal. She is also classified as Aad Shakti, which is fairly similar to Ruach in Hebrew, and part of the triune Godhead to them. 

13 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

We posted a few quotes in another very recent thread. Gurbani says Durga earned the right to worship through her own devotion to Akal. She is also classified as Aad Shakti, which is fairly similar to Ruach in Hebrew, and part of the triune Godhead to them. 

I've been coming on here for a while now, just reading stuff mainly. But I felt I should atleast answer what's written here. Durga hasn't earned the right to be worshipped, People associated her with the Adi Shakti but she's Adi Shakti in the same way we're all also manifestations of Akaal Purakh Ji. Durga is spawned by Akaal Purakh Ji when he needs someone to handle something, when it comes to War even she nearly lost and had to flee the battlefield at one point. She's also incapable of granting Mukhti and Bhagat Naamdev Ji says this, Guru Granth Sahib Ji even stated that there's countless Durgas who massage (serve) at Akaal Purakkh Ji's feet. That's why some Vidhvans also translate her name in Chandi Di Vaar a different way. In Chandi Di Vaar She's called DurgShah, they translate Durg to mean fort but rather than using Shah as the arabic/persian word but shah as "Shahe" meaning shade, as in The one who resides in the shade (refuge) of the Durg (the fort of Waheguru Ji).

In Uggardanti Bani Guru Sahib is talking about a formless form of Akaal Purakh Ji's Shakti. The Sargun Saroop of that Shakti is the sword, the Kharag and so on. Just like Guru Sahib talks about the Nirgun Parmatma and the Sargun Saroop of that is Guru Sahib himself. That's why the Bani calls her Krishan, Parasram etc too, because where Paramatma is, his power is also vested there. The tukhs regarding "Har Har Japanti" is to illustrate to Sikhs that even Akaal Purakh Ji's Shakti will one day meld into him, its dependant on him entirely. Since Guru Sahib describes it as the sword lets use that Analogy. A Warrior carries the sword, but without the warrior the sword can't do anything. The warrior is its master and forger. Dasam Focuses on that "Shaster" of Akaal Purakh Ji and its power. That's why this primal power prays to Akaal Purakh Ji. This was to link back to Bhakti because from Bhakti comes Shakti, The most powerful force outside of God would then naturally meditate on God too. The warrior can easily make a new sword but can the sword make a new warrior? When Mahaparloh comes, Even Shakti will be subsumed into Akaal Purakh Ji. Only he will remain.

Other Avtars had to do alot to appease Durga because they all worshiped her for power and strength But unlike the other avtars, Guru Sahib is Akaal Roop himself. The Power was always there in their presence.

1 hour ago, KaalSevak said:

because from Bhakti comes Shakti

Does Shakti really come from Bhakti?

One can be a bhagat, but it doesn't mean they posses shakti (unless we are speaking of ridh sidh)

One can be a practioner of Shakti, and not be inclined towards Bhakti. 

Isn't it more of a need of two of these separate energy's that one can practice dharma. 

I've been coming on here for a while now, just reading stuff mainly. But I felt I should atleast answer what's written here. Durga hasn't earned the right to be worshipped, People associated her with the Adi Shakti but she's Adi Shakti in the same way we're all also manifestations of Akaal Purakh Ji. Durga is spawned by Akaal Purakh Ji when he needs someone to handle something, when it comes to War even she nearly lost and had to flee the battlefield at one point. She's also incapable of granting Mukhti and Bhagat Naamdev Ji says this, Guru Granth Sahib Ji even stated that there's countless Durgas who massage (serve) at Akaal Purakkh Ji's feet. That's why some Vidhvans also translate her name in Chandi Di Vaar a different way. In Chandi Di Vaar She's called DurgShah, they translate Durg to mean fort but rather than using Shah as the arabic/persian word but shah as "Shahe" meaning shade, as in The one who resides in the shade (refuge) of the Durg (the fort of Waheguru Ji).

In Uggardanti Bani Guru Sahib is talking about a formless form of Akaal Purakh Ji's Shakti. The Sargun Saroop of that Shakti is the sword, the Kharag and so on. Just like Guru Sahib talks about the Nirgun Parmatma and the Sargun Saroop of that is Guru Sahib himself. That's why the Bani calls her Krishan, Parasram etc too, because where Paramatma is, his power is also vested there. The tukhs regarding "Har Har Japanti" is to illustrate to Sikhs that even Akaal Purakh Ji's Shakti will one day meld into him, its dependant on him entirely. Since Guru Sahib describes it as the sword lets use that Analogy. A Warrior carries the sword, but without the warrior the sword can't do anything. The warrior is its master and forger. Dasam Focuses on that "Shaster" of Akaal Purakh Ji and its power. That's why this primal power prays to Akaal Purakh Ji. This was to link back to Bhakti because from Bhakti comes Shakti, The most powerful force outside of God would then naturally meditate on God too. The warrior can easily make a new sword but can the sword make a new warrior? When Mahaparloh comes, Even Shakti will be subsumed into Akaal Purakh Ji. Only he will remain.

Other Avtars had to do alot to appease Durga because they all worshiped her for power and strength But unlike the other avtars, Guru Sahib is Akaal Roop himself. The Power was always there in their presence.

I largely agree bro. But Vaaran clearly stated how Durga earned the right to be worshipped. Not saying I do. But thems the facts. 

You have any Gurbani for this?

Just now, Inderpal1994 said:

One can be a bhagat, but it doesn't mean they posses shakti (unless we are speaking of ridh sidh)

Isn't it more of a need of two of these separate energy's that one can practice dharma. 

They're linked. Not saying you can't focus on one or the other. I'd be careful chasing Shakti without Bhakti. 

Durga hasn't earned the right to be worshipped

ਚੋਪਈ ॥

chopiee ||

Stanza of short rhyming pairs

ਖਟ ਛੰਦ ਭਗਵਤੀ ਮਹਾਂ ਪੁਨੀਤੇ ॥

khaT chha(n)dh bhagavatee mahaa(n) puneete ||

These six stanzas of supreme power Bhagwati are very auspicious.

ਤਿਸ ਪਠਵਤ ਉਪਜਤ ਪਰਤੀਤੇ ॥

tis pattavat aupajat parateete ||

Their daily recitation promotes firm belief in the devotee.

ਇਉਂ ਨਿਸਬਾਸਰ ਦੁਰਗੇ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਯੰ ॥

eiau(n) nisabaasar dhurage gun gaaya(n) ||

By daily chanting prayer of mother Durga,

ਤਹਿ ਸਹਜੇ ਅਟੱਲ ਅਮਰ ਪਦ ਪਾਯੰ ॥

teh sahaje aTa'l amar padh paaya(n) ||

Eternal salvation is readily achieved.

ਯਹਿ ਖਸਟਕ ਛੰਦ ਸੰਪੂਰਨ ਭਯੋ ॥

yeh khasaTak chha(n)dh sa(n)pooran bhayo ||

The sixth Bhagwati stanza has come to an end.

ਤਿਸ ਉਚਰਤ ਸਗਲਾ ਭਰਮ ਗਯੋ ॥

tis aucharat sagalaa bharam gayo ||

Reciting it has eliminated all doubts.

ਹਰਿ ਅਲਖ ਈਸਰੀ ਭਈ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲੰ ॥

har alakh ieesaree bhiee kirapaala(n) ||

When the incomprehensible Godly Power conferred her blessings,

ਤਿਨ ਦਾਸ ਆਪਨਾ ਕੀਓ ਨਿਹਾਲੰ ॥

tin dhaas aapanaa keeo nihaala(n) ||

She exalted Her slave.

ਦੂਖ ਰੋਗ ਸੋਗ ਭੈ ਮਿਟੇ ਕਲੇਸਾ ॥

dhookh rog sog bhai miTe kalesaa ||

Sufferings, illness, sorrow, fear and torment all vanished.

ਬਹੁ ਸੁਖ ਉਪਜੈ ਅਨਦ ਪ੍ਰਵੇਸਾ ॥

bahu sukh aupajai anadh pravesaa ||

Abundance of blissfulness and harmony prevailed.

ਇਤ ਬਿਧਿ ਦੁਰਗੇ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਧਾਰੀ ॥

eit bidh dhurage kirapaa dhaaree ||

This is how (Mother) Durga blessed,

ਤਿਹ ਆਪਨ ਦਾਸ ਕਉ ਲੀਆ ਉਬਾਰੀ ॥

teh aapan dhaas kau leeaa aubaaree ||

and shielded her slave.

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਇਤਿ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸਿੰਘ ਵਿਰਚਿਤੇ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਭਗਵਤੀ ਛੰਦ ਖਸਟਮੰ ਸਮਾਪਤੰਮ ਸਤ ਸੁਭਮ ਸਤ ॥੬॥

sree it gobi(n)dh si(n)gh virachite sree bhagavatee chha(n)dh khasaTama(n) samaapata(n)m sat subham sat ||6||

Sri (Guru) Gobind Singh (Ji) accomplished auspiciously the six Bhagwati stanzas.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji 

19 minutes ago, GurjantGnostic said:

They're linked. Not saying you can't focus on one or the other. I'd be careful chasing Shakti without Bhakti. 

I wouldn't say they are necessarily linked. Yes in the pursuit of Dharma, having both helps accomplish the individual to seek liberation and to install liberation in this world.

8 minutes ago, Inderpal1994 said:

I wouldn't say they are necessarily linked. Yes in the pursuit of Dharma, having both helps accomplish the individual to seek liberation and to install liberation in this world.

Hmmm...I guess what's hitting me is I know I can't do one without the other, and if I were to try and chase one I'd be afraid instead of Shakti I'd get some other energy. Because many people do harness types of energy that are similar to but not Shakti. 

So where we get Shakti?

Naam, Gurbani, Shastar Vidya done with the right heart. 

Great example. Look at what happens when you study weapons with no Dharam. 

2 hours ago, Inderpal1994 said:

Yes, you can ask any Vidhvan they'll say the same thing. Sant Jarnail Singh Ji did alot of Bhakti before embarking on the Dharamyudh morcha, Baba Deep Singh Ji Maharaj also did alot of Bhakti, there isnt a Mahapurakh who hasn't done Bhakti. You don't gain power without doing Bhakti, that's exactly what Guru Sahib was pointing out in his banis. The Daints do Bhakti to gain Shakti to overthrow the Devtas, when they gain raj they stop and start doing paap, while the Devtas do their Bhakti to gain their powers back or appeal to someone higher up for help.

2 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I largely agree bro. But Vaaran clearly stated how Durga earned the right to be worshipped. Not saying I do. But thems the facts. 

You have any Gurbani for this?

No it's not "the facts" You're reading translations, tell me when Guru Sahib says I worship Ram, who's talking about? The all pervasive Lord or Ram Chandar Ji the avtar of Vishnu? You're fixating yourself on the body and the chand you again quoted, they translated Durga to mean Durga Devi, another arth of Durga is Durg meaning fort and Durga then meaning the unconquerable one (the unconquerable fort). Here's the bani from Guru Granth Sahib Ji. 

ਤੂ ਕਹੀਅਤ ਹੀ ਆਦਿ ਭਵਾਨੀ ॥
तू कहीअत ही आदि भवानी ॥
Ŧū kahī▫aṯ hī āḏ bẖavānī.
You are called the Primal Goddess.

ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕੀ ਬਰੀਆ ਕਹਾ ਛਪਾਨੀ ॥੪॥
मुकति की बरीआ कहा छपानी ॥४॥
Mukaṯ kī barī▫ā kahā cẖẖapānī. ||4||
At the time of liberation, where will you hide then? ||4||

Why would Guru Sahib tell his sikhs to focus on someone who can't even granth liberation? Here it is again.

ਦੁਰਗਾ ਕੋਟਿ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਮਰਦਨੁ ਕਰੈ ॥
दुरगा कोटि जा कै मरदनु करै ॥
Ḏurgā kot jā kai marḏan karai.
Millions of Durga goddesses massage His Feet.

ਜਉ ਜਾਚਉ ਤਉ ਕੇਵਲ ਰਾਮ ॥
जउ जाचउ तउ केवल राम ॥
Ja▫o jācẖa▫o ṯa▫o keval rām.
When I beg, I beg only from the Lord.

ਆਨ ਦੇਵ ਸਿਉ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਾਮ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
आन देव सिउ नाही काम ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Ān ḏev si▫o nāhī kām. ||1|| rahā▫o.
I have nothing to do with any other deities. ||1||Pause||

She's still considered a Devi, their strongest one by far. But she's still a lehar of Akaal Purakh's Shakti. If you want proof of this then again read Chandi Di Vaar. The first tukh is after Guru Sahib's eulogy is  ਖੰਡਾ ਪ੍ਰਥਮਿ ਮਨਾਇਕੈ ਜਿਨ ਸਭ ਸੈਸਾਰ ਉਪਾਇਆ ॥ then in the same verse later on Guru Sahib says ਤੈ ਹੀ ਦੁਰਗਾ ਸਾਜਿ ਕੈ ਦੈਤਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਸ ਕਰਾਇਆ ॥ The FIRST thing that Akaal established is his Primal Power/Maya/Kaal etc and then he created the rest, Durga included. You can read more about this in Baba Teja Singh Mehron Wale Ji's teeka on Dasam Bani. The final Charitar 405 will shed light on it. Durga is considered a wave in the infinite majesty of Akaal Shakti, but Akaal Shakti's Sargun Saroop is always his Sword. Your doing the exact same tactics that missionary etc too. They read the word and attach it to the Devta, they do it with Chandi Charitar too. 

She hasn't "earned" the right to be worshipped, if she's incapable of granting Mukhti then why would any Sikh want anything to do with her? The only person who "earned" the right to be worshipped was Vishnu Bhagwan. He did the proper aradhana and then begged Akaal Purakh Ji to allow people to woship him as God. Akaal Purakh Ji granted it. Even then Guru Sahib told his sikhs not to worship him 

Here's katha by Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji 

The poster was kind enough to shorten specific sections at the start but you can listen to the full one on here.

Sant Jarnail Singh Ji's katha too. I can post more katha too. 

34 minutes ago, KaalSevak said:

Yes, you can ask any Vidhvan they'll say the same thing. Sant Jarnail Singh Ji did alot of Bhakti before embarking on the Dharamyudh morcha, Baba Deep Singh Ji Maharaj also did alot of Bhakti, there isnt a Mahapurakh who hasn't done Bhakti. You don't gain power without doing Bhakti, that's exactly what Guru Sahib was pointing out in his banis. The Daints do Bhakti to gain Shakti to overthrow the Devtas, when they gain raj they stop and start doing paap, while the Devtas do their Bhakti to gain their powers back or appeal to someone higher up for help.

At no point weren't Singhs not training hardcore as a norm as well as doing their bhagti. A whole culture (that has since diminished) was built around it. Shastarnaam-mala and even extant hukamnamas from dasmesh pita's time clearly point at that. Guru ji specifically said Sikhs who come for darshan armed (and by implication ready to fight) were to be especially blessed.  Giani Gian Singh who lived through the Sikh raj into the colonial period directly refers to a widespread Sikh martial norm. 

35 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

At no point weren't Singhs not training hardcore as a norm as well as doing their bhagti. A whole culture (that has since diminished) was built around it. Shastarnaam-mala and even extant hukamnamas from dasmesh pita's time clearly point at that. Guru ji specifically said Sikhs who come for darshan armed (and by implication ready to fight) were to be especially blessed.  Giani Gian Singh who lived through the Sikh raj into the colonial period directly refers to a widespread Sikh martial norm. 

At no point did I say a Sikh should sit on his ass, eating and getting fat while phering a mala. Nor did I say a Sikh shouldn't be training in Martial arts. Sant Ji also trained, as did every other Mahapurakh. What I meant was by Bhakti was that you need to be strong in spirit and appease Akaal so that your task (which requires Shakti) will also be fulfilled, you can't do anything without power and that power for us comes from Gurbani (ergo Bhakti). That's why Singhs did Jaaps of Dasam bani before going into war, that's why we do Ardaas before embarking on any task. doing Jaap of Dasam bani is a form of Bhakti. That's why Nihangs even say Bani first then Bana. Apologises if that wasnt clear enough on my part, english isn't my first language. 

2 hours ago, KaalSevak said:

No it's not "the facts" You're reading translations, tell me when Guru Sahib says I worship Ram, who's talking about? The all pervasive Lord or Ram Chandar Ji the avtar of Vishnu? You're fixating yourself on the body and the chand you again quoted, they translated Durga to mean Durga Devi, another arth of Durga is Durg meaning fort and Durga then meaning the unconquerable one (the unconquerable fort). Here's the bani from Guru Granth Sahib Ji. 

ਤੂ ਕਹੀਅਤ ਹੀ ਆਦਿ ਭਵਾਨੀ ॥
तू कहीअत ही आदि भवानी ॥
Ŧū kahī25ab.pngaṯ hī āḏ bẖavānī.
You are called the Primal Goddess.

ਮੁਕਤਿ ਕੀ ਬਰੀਆ ਕਹਾ ਛਪਾਨੀ ॥੪॥
मुकति की बरीआ कहा छपानी ॥४॥
Mukaṯ kī barī25ab.pngā kahā cẖẖapānī. ||4||
At the time of liberation, where will you hide then? ||4||

Why would Guru Sahib tell his sikhs to focus on someone who can't even granth liberation? Here it is again.

ਦੁਰਗਾ ਕੋਟਿ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਮਰਦਨੁ ਕਰੈ ॥
दुरगा कोटि जा कै मरदनु करै ॥
Ḏurgā kot jā kai marḏan karai.
Millions of Durga goddesses massage His Feet.

ਜਉ ਜਾਚਉ ਤਉ ਕੇਵਲ ਰਾਮ ॥
जउ जाचउ तउ केवल राम ॥
Ja25ab.pngo jācẖa25ab.pngo ṯa25ab.pngo keval rām.
When I beg, I beg only from the Lord.

ਆਨ ਦੇਵ ਸਿਉ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਾਮ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
आन देव सिउ नाही काम ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Ān ḏev si25ab.pngo nāhī kām. ||1|| rahā25ab.pngo.
I have nothing to do with any other deities. ||1||Pause||

She's still considered a Devi, their strongest one by far. But she's still a lehar of Akaal Purakh's Shakti. If you want proof of this then again read Chandi Di Vaar. The first tukh is after Guru Sahib's eulogy is  ਖੰਡਾ ਪ੍ਰਥਮਿ ਮਨਾਇਕੈ ਜਿਨ ਸਭ ਸੈਸਾਰ ਉਪਾਇਆ ॥ then in the same verse later on Guru Sahib says ਤੈ ਹੀ ਦੁਰਗਾ ਸਾਜਿ ਕੈ ਦੈਤਾ ਦਾ ਨਾਸ ਕਰਾਇਆ ॥ The FIRST thing that Akaal established is his Primal Power/Maya/Kaal etc and then he created the rest, Durga included. You can read more about this in Baba Teja Singh Mehron Wale Ji's teeka on Dasam Bani. The final Charitar 405 will shed light on it. Durga is considered a wave in the infinite majesty of Akaal Shakti, but Akaal Shakti's Sargun Saroop is always his Sword. Your doing the exact same tactics that missionary etc too. They read the word and attach it to the Devta, they do it with Chandi Charitar too. 

She hasn't "earned" the right to be worshipped, if she's incapable of granting Mukhti then why would any Sikh want anything to do with her? The only person who "earned" the right to be worshipped was Vishnu Bhagwan. He did the proper aradhana and then begged Akaal Purakh Ji to allow people to woship him as God. Akaal Purakh Ji granted it. Even then Guru Sahib told his sikhs not to worship him 

Here's katha by Sant Gurbachan Singh Ji 

The poster was kind enough to shorten specific sections at the start but you can listen to the full one on here.

Sant Jarnail Singh Ji's katha too. I can post more katha too. 

ਇਉਂ ਨਿਸਬਾਸਰ ਦੁਰਗੇ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਯੰ ॥

eiau(n) nisabaasar dhurage gun gaaya(n) ||

By daily chanting prayer of mother Durga,

ਤਹਿ ਸਹਜੇ ਅਟੱਲ ਅਮਰ ਪਦ ਪਾਯੰ ॥

teh sahaje aTa'l amar padh paaya(n) ||

Eternal salvation is readily achieved 

Next:

ਤੁਹੀਦੇਵਦੁਰਗੇਨਿਰੰਜਨਪਰਸਤੀ॥

tuhee dhev dhurage nira(n)jan parasatee ||

You are the magnificent Goddess Durga who is in constant touch with the Lord God

ਤੁਹੀਹਰਿਸਿਮਰਿਕਰਭਈਜੋਗਧਯਾਣੀ॥

tuhee har simar kar bhiee jog dhayaanee ||

You have yourself become a symbol of worship because of your contemplation on the Lord Almighty 

I really have no ponies in this race. It's just as odd to me too. 

At no point did I say a Sikh should sit on his ass, eating and getting fat while phering a mala. Nor did I say a Sikh shouldn't be training in Martial arts. Sant Ji also trained, as did every other Mahapurakh. What I meant was by Bhakti was that you need to be strong in spirit and appease Akaal so that your task (which requires Shakti) will also be fulfilled, you can't do anything without power and that power for us comes from Gurbani (ergo Bhakti). That's why Singhs did Jaaps of Dasam bani before going into war, that's why we do Ardaas before embarking on any task. doing Jaap of Dasam bani is a form of Bhakti. That's why Nihangs even say Bani first then Bana. Apologises if that wasnt clear enough on my part, english isn't my first language. 

Doing great with english bro.