A survey taken on Guru Arjan Dev Ji's shaheedi purb

chatanga1

• chatanga1 changed the title to A survey taken on Guru Arjan Dev Ji's shaheedi purb
3 hours ago, Mooorakh said:

Probably they have Intentionally not included those who have answered correctly... how's this possible that NOT ONE person knows about the real history? 

I guess it could probably be his intention to point out the lack of Sikhi knowledge by many Sikhs today hence he omitted the ones that answered correctly. Just my 0.2.

5 hours ago, Jageera said:

I guess it could probably be his intention to point out the lack of Sikhi knowledge by many Sikhs today hence he omitted the ones that answered correctly. Just my 0.2.

Yeah thas wat...  Otherwise it can't be this bad.  

1 hour ago, Soulfinder said:

Just shows how people don't know anything nowdays even though we live in a modern tech era as well makes it more sad not knowing our history culture religion etc.

I think for some time now, the pagh dhara has just become some sort of regional dress for the majority of wearers in Panjab. It's not really an indication of any sort of connection to Sikhi. 

That's what happens when you put more emphasis on external features than internal ones. 

27 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

I think for some time now, the pagh dhara has just become some sort of regional dress for the majority of wearers in Panjab. It's not really an indication of any sort of connection to Sikhi. 

That's what happens when you put more emphasis on external features than internal ones. 

You are 100% right veer ji. All that i see is just people doing lip service when even reading bani as well.

But you are right veer ji as wearing the turban paag is now a culture tradition cos i have seen a few videos on youtube with sikhs having full bread and turban converted into christan religion which was shocking to see.

11 hours ago, Soulfinder said:

You are 100% right veer ji. All that i see is just people doing lip service when even reading bani as well.

But you are right veer ji as wearing the turban paag is now a culture tradition cos i have seen a few videos on youtube with sikhs having full bread and turban converted into christan religion which was shocking to see.

Why do you think they haven't cut their kesh? I noticed a few female converts in London also keep their Sikh names too?

On 6/13/2019 at 10:33 AM, Mooorakh said:

Probably they have Intentionally not included those who have answered correctly... how's this possible that NOT ONE person knows about the real history? 

Yes I would agree with that. I think the purpose of the video was to show how some Sikhs are ignorant of such an important event in the shaping of the Sikh Panth.

1 minute ago, chatanga1 said:

Yes I would agree with that. I think the purpose of the video was to show how some Sikhs are ignorant of such an important event in the shaping of the Sikh Panth.

I am genuinely surprised at this level of ignorance. I thought the SGPC would've done a better job at imparting knowledge about key historical events like this?

But maybe it's the people who are indifferent? 

Could be. I think that also with the loss of Gurdwara Dehra Sahib in 1947, the great benefit of having a visual aid in teaching had gone as well. I remember when I was recording some videos of partition memories, a lady born and brought up in Panjab, told me that they had only ever heard the name of Nankana Sahib. other than that, they had no clue.

When families go to historic gurdwaras they learn about the history of it eg Kesgarh Sahib, Chamkaur Sahib. But since 47, I would say that not even 1% of the Panth has been to Gurdwara Dehra Sahib.

39 minutes ago, dalsingh101 said:

Why do you think they haven't cut their kesh? I noticed a few female converts in London also keep their Sikh names too?

True veer ji its hard to understand why they keep their kesh and sikh names after converting.

Maybe it could be to decieve other fellow sikhs as they usually say apperances can be decieveing.

5 hours ago, Soulfinder said:

True veer ji its hard to understand why they keep their kesh and sikh names after converting.

Maybe it could be to decieve other fellow sikhs as they usually say apperances can be decieveing.

Yes, also as we mentioned before, the link between the roop and the dharam is weak in these people so they don't really see/feel a strong connection between the two, but they are uninclined to change their physical look, that they have probably had since childhood. 

6 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

Could be. I think that also with the loss of Gurdwara Dehra Sahib in 1947, the great benefit of having a visual aid in teaching had gone as well. I remember when I was recording some videos of partition memories, a lady born and brought up in Panjab, told me that they had only ever heard the name of Nankana Sahib. other than that, they had no clue.

When families go to historic gurdwaras they learn about the history of it eg Kesgarh Sahib, Chamkaur Sahib. But since 47, I would say that not even 1% of the Panth has been to Gurdwara Dehra Sahib.

Yeah, but to excuse away basic level understanding of your ithihaas seems strange. But people like us here are probably a small minority anyway - in that we have a real abiding interest in these things - more than just surface level. I mean we seek and ponder over these things. Most people just seem to want a kathavaak to pump information in their head (and trust them blindly) and not worry about the sources or integrity of the information.  

On 6/14/2019 at 12:26 PM, Soulfinder said:

I have heard that they are told to keep sikh appearance/names so they are more accessible to Sikhs after they have converted.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:27 PM, dalsingh101 said:

Yeah, but to excuse away basic level understanding of your ithihaas seems strange. But people like us here are probably a small minority anyway - in that we have a real abiding interest in these things - more than just surface level. I mean we seek and ponder over these things. Most people just seem to want a kathavaak to pump information in their head (and trust them blindly) and not worry about the sources or integrity of the information.  

I think we are in danger of becoming "groupies", just accepting anything someone says because they look the part  and we want to be in their fan club. Sometimes i think even kathawachaks don't even know the source of their info. The recent trend of people like Thakur Singh just coming out with wild tales or dhadrianwale just saying anything and everything about what he thinks gurmat is and his massive following just accepting it, without even thinking about about what he is telling them, is a dangerous path.

3 minutes ago, chatanga1 said:

I think we are in danger of becoming "groupies", just accepting anything someone says because they look the part  and we want to be in their fan club. Sometimes i think even kathawachaks don't even know the source of their info. The recent trend of people like Thakur Singh just coming out with wild tales or dhadrianwale just saying anything and everything about what he thinks gurmat is and his massive following just accepting it, without even thinking about about what he is telling them, is a dangerous path.

I don't think this is anything new. Apnay do this a lot. 

14 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

I have heard that they are told to keep sikh appearance/names so they are more accessible to Sikhs after they have converted.

That does make more sense veer ji as they are using the sikh outside apperance to hunt more newer converts especially these 2 images i saw online made me lost for words.

CMwMX0SVAAApyVi.jpg

jesus-2.jpg