Why does Guru Ji repeat themselves.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Ji Ke Fateh.

Before I begin I just wish to let sangat know (I'm guessing you already do) but I am ignorant of Gurbani. My knowledge is below limited, so hence why my question may sound remedial.

Whenever I read a hukamnama or a random ang of Satguru Granth Sahib Ji, I always see that Maharaj repeats themselves again and again (praising parmatma, advising us to jaap naam, follow the guru etc).

I'm just curious on why Maharaj repeats themselves so many times.

I'm hoping if a gursikh could help me with this, or if anyone has any bachan's from a bhramgyani or mahapurakh that can help me with this curious thought.

Thank you

Inderpal

On 6/25/2019 at 3:17 PM, chatanga1 said:

You are right. gurbani is highly repetitive. Majority of Gurbani is highly repetitive after Mool Mantar. I like to think of Gurbani replicating life. Everyday we repeat the same things, usually in the same order. Gurbani is repetitive like this.

I understand where you're coming from, but we recite Gurbani (nitnem) everyday, and we are technically reciting the same bani everyday. Wouldn't that be enough?

Also, would the Guru not have expanded further on their shabads.

On 6/25/2019 at 6:27 PM, dalsingh101 said:

I think it is like this because it is used to recondition the munh.

Repetition in various different ways can achieve that. It's like when you are trying to teach someone something (who isn't that sharp). You have to keep repeating stuff over time using different examples until it becomes imbibed. 

This is something that has crossed my mind. Yes, I agree that our mind has been conditioned with so much filth, that we would be needing to recondition it with something pure. 

But like I've mentioned to chatanga that we recite our nitnem everyday...isn't that enough.

On 6/26/2019 at 11:16 AM, Mooorakh said:

Yeah he says it in every possible way n we Still don't 👂hear. 

Every thing around us is in cycle.  Round.  I have heard in a katha of Pinderpal ji that a wheel keeps on  repeating its rounds again and again and thus covers long distances.  Repetition of Gurumantra can thus take us to heights of spirituality.  

In childhood mom used to instruct the same things again n again.  ..  So if only one of those several panktis finds root in our hearts❤💞.  We will be blessed.  (Kinka aek jis jee basaave) 

I agree there. Maharaj has spoken to us the same things in many different ways. I believe it's more effective to show us the different aspects or perspectives of life and dharma.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 12:47 PM, dalsingh101 said:

Outside of nitnem, isn't the rest of Gurbani an expansion/elaboration of this? I think because we are used to certain styles of written communication in English, we may sort of expect similar styles in Gurbani, but it doesn't appear to work like that from what I can gather. It's very subtle, it's not like a lot of Abrahamic stuff that appears to be direct. Because we are dealing with the subconscious and deeply concealed aspects of the munh, it has to be approached differently. Diverting and dealing with the munh (which any of us who have tried to practice simran can see clearly has a mind of it's own), isn't an easy task. So Gurbani goes beyond overtly conscious thought and tries to tap into more deeply rooted, hidden aspects of our psychology. I don't think we can reach those parts with overt, explicit directives like other faiths try to do. My personal experiences has been that it soothes and calms the psyche - I might be wrong but it seems like a device to help prep the mind for better naam-simran? We have elaboration by Bhai Gurdas which elucidates things in layman's terms. I think the archaic use of the word 'sublime' may help explain the way Gurbani interacts with the practitioner. And because we are all at different stages (probably due to karma), it wouldn't make sense to create a sort of explicit manual for this. This is what makes it so different to Abrahamic thinking. It tries to elicit something subtle but powerful already within that we are alienated from, rather than pour something inside of us. It's not a simple thing from what I can gather, on a human front we are dealing with higher cognitive functioning here, but then trying go beyond that. 

I don't claim to know it all, because it is sooooo deep. So please feel free to disagree. This is just how it seems to me right now. And I say this knowing full well, that I'm full of my own augunhs too, and struggle with them. 

I actually agree and understand what you are saying. Definitely satisfied.

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I was just thinking about this the other day. Repetition is the mother of all skill. Repetition is meditation. And you know who's on repeat forever about the same Truths we don't get? Our parents.  

Yes, I have contemplated on this. Repetition and recite bani which is said in many different ways can ingrain itself in to our subconscious. But, to be honest, I have never read nor studies GGS enough to make any call or judgement. 

Just now, Inderpal1994 said:

Yes, I have contemplated on this. Repetition and recite bani which is said in many different ways can ingrain itself in to our subconscious. But, to be honest, I have never read nor studies GGS enough to make any call or judgement. 

Just start a casual SehajPath on your phone. And then when done read Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Ji once bro. 

2 minutes ago, Inderpal1994 said:

Yes, I'm thinking of reciting one ang per day (or whenever I can) but to also recite it correctly. 

Awesome bro.  Whatever enages you so you enjoy doing it. If the honing of skill is inspiration, awesome, if it's just reading it casually for joy? Awesome. It shouldn't be a chore it should be a respite.