Sri Charitropakhyan Sahib jee Series - Charitar #105

chatanga1

This chariter is highly significant. 

We have reference to paedophilia and grooming by a member of the ruling classes. 

Notice how the nonce Taas Beg is thwarted by his bullied aide. 

Notice how such people are described:

ਮਾਨੁਖ ਹੁਤੋ ਜੋਨਿ ਪਸੁ ਪਰਿਯੋ ॥੫॥

Although human being, he had embraced the life of an animal.(5)

This Charitar is one of the main ones that missionaries like to (mis)quote saying that it promotes homosexuality.

There is more than one angle to this charitar. The one that comes straight to mind is that a young man is in love with another young man. Or possibly child as it refers to the person in question as a "ਬੱਚਾ".

Other things that stand out is Ali "Mardan" which means "manly man."  In farsi "ਮਰਦ " just means man but in Panjabi terms we look at it as a complete man. Very masculine etc. But. His son Taas Beg has feelins or desires towards another male. Now if we look at the other male, we are told its a child. So being told that its a child, are we being told of its innocence towards these matters? Also with it being a "jeweller" we know it to be of an inferior social standing. In Indic terms jewellers are seen are undependable and untrustworthy. So is it an attraction or infatuation involving someone stronger with someone more weaker and vulnerable? It seems that way to me.

Now to me the above just seems like an intro to the charitar. It doesn't feel like Guru Sahib wants us to dwell on this introduction. Soon the charitar develops into a battle of wits between the Taas Beg and his servant. His servant ditufully acted out his duties in trying to arrange a meeting between his master and Mohan Rai. But with Mohan Rai not interested, the responsibility of ailure fell on the servants shoulders. He was beaten by Taas Beg for this from which he felt aggrieved. The rest of the story is how the servant used alcohol as a way of getting revenge on his master but also as a way of placating his master's desires. Every time the Taas Beg is in a drunken stupor, he is woken to be told that Mohan Rai has enjoyed his company and left. This feels more like the essence of the charitar to me.

17 minutes ago, chatanga1 said:

This Charitar is one of the main ones that missionaries like to (mis)quote saying that it promotes homosexuality.

There is more than one angle to this charitar. The one that comes straight to mind is that a young man is in love with another young man. Or possibly child as it refers to the person in question as a "ਬੱਚਾ".

Other things that stand out is Ali "Mardan" which means "manly man."  In farsi "ਮਰਦ " just means man but in Panjabi terms we look at it as a complete man. Very masculine etc. But. His son Taas Beg has feelins or desires towards another male. Now if we look at the other male, we are told its a child. So being told that its a child, are we being told of its innocence towards these matters? Also with it being a "jeweller" we know it to be of an inferior social standing. In Indic terms jewellers are seen are undependable and untrustworthy. So is it an attraction or infatuation involving someone stronger with someone more weaker and vulnerable? It seems that way to me.

Now to me the above just seems like an intro to the charitar. It doesn't feel like Guru Sahib wants us to dwell on this introduction. Soon the charitar develops into a battle of wits between the Taas Beg and his servant. His servant ditufully acted out his duties in trying to arrange a meeting between his master and Mohan Rai. But with Mohan Rai not interested, the responsibility of ailure fell on the servants shoulders. He was beaten by Taas Beg for this from which he felt aggrieved. The rest of the story is how the servant used alcohol as a way of getting revenge on his master but also as a way of placating his master's desires. Every time the Taas Beg is in a drunken stupor, he is woken to be told that Mohan Rai has enjoyed his company and left. This feels more like the essence of the charitar to me.

I'd agree with most of that. Notice the use of the egg by the advisor, subtly indicating that Taas Beg's motives towards the jeweller's child were sexual. Also, the violent way in which Taas Beg reacts when the advisor first informs him of Mohan Rai refusing to go along with things gives an insight into his character. That he feels it is okay to violently abuse the messenger just because his lust is thwarted gives a deep insight into Beg's character. I notice the names Ali Mardan and Taas Beg sound Muslim as well. 

The way the advisor makes a fool of Beg is also empowering (given the power differentials)  and suggests that such people being thwarted is a good thing.  

That point is so ridiculous that it doesn't merit any further consideration. 

• 2 years later...