is it wrong to LAUGH IN THE GURDWARA?? (?lol?)

lil_princess

once i was at this youth group meeting, i forget the topic now, but once this uncle said something and i thought it was HILARIOUS (i think it was because he was trying to use some sort of slang with his desifided accent) well i have a big laughing problem ( i am trying to control this problem ) and i started to laugh, well giggle, then since laughing is very contagious i started to make my cousin and friend laugh, then the whole little group started laughing and everyone was starring at us. MY cousin said we were not suppose to laugh at the gurdwara, is it true?? i mean isn't it good to laugh? well anyways im just curious( i say this a lot in this site lol <see there i go again with the loling>) well CAN WE LAUGH?? :LOL:

I think you should try to show best respects when you're in the Gurdwara, and there's probably no rule that you can't laugh in the Gurdwara, just try your best not to laugh in the Gurdwara or at least try to conceal yourself the best possible way! I myself along with my cousin have on the odd occassion in Gurdwara burst into uncontrollable laughter... :D , finding it very difficult to control ourselves!

Sat Sri Akal:

Laughing at the wrong time (during Kirtan or serious katha or reading of the hukamnama) is kinda disrespectful. But sometimes Kathakaris (like Baba Maan Singh) even crack a joke in their Katha and the Sangat goes 'a chuckling.

Kinda use your common sense as to when to laugh and not. Otherwise, Sikhs are very chardi-kalaa people...

if uve ever listened to a diwan of sant baba hardev singh lulo wale.. u will be bound to crack up... he is very comincal, but the things he says are so true and poeple have a chuckle at how bad we have become

the whole idea behind being in the satsangat is to learn from satguru, if ur amused by anything thats said dont worry about laughing, the nanaksar gurdwara in capehill, the baba there is toooo funny he always has people laughing but theres always a serious message behind it... no gurdwaras have not become def jam comedy clubs :twisted: :P

but to have ur own lil conversation (like some bibis at the gurdwara) in the presence of guru ji thats wrong.... singin / laughing / chanting along with any program at the gurdwara is fine.. as long as ur not rolling about on the floor screamin ur head off then i guess no one will mind :)

Gurfateh

A friend once said to me 'Why don't amritdharis smile?' - not entirely true, but some mindsets seem to make certain people more emotionless zombie-like than others, hehe.

There has to be a balance. If you're remembering death 24/7 and you can still laugh at it then even better. It's always good to laugh at both maya and yourself. Taking yourself too seriously is your haumai/duality.

We are made of dirt, we'll become dirt. Always helpful to remember that! Great Sewapanthi saints of the past were almost comical in their self-deprecation and humility (I'm thinking Bhai Jagta here). I was reading Hakim Sanai's Hadiqat this week and he was calling me everything under the sun, 'son of a donkey' 'tavern-crawling wretch', etc. I was laughing my head off, because this bloke had clocked what I am like nearly a 1000 years ago! Great stuff.

While we're on the laughing topic why don't we also discuss talking in the gurdwara aswell because this is the same thing to me. I'll put my hands right up and say yes i've laughed before par i do not sit and talk til my face goes blows like tooooo many people do nowadays.

Makes me mad. Why come to the Gurdwara if you are not going to listen to Kirtan, Katha, Dhadhi and are just there to disturb others.