Whats everyone watching during lockdown?

Jageera

Just now, Premi said:

@GurjantGnostic what do you think of The Karate Kid ?

Karate Kid GIF - Karate Kid GIFs

It's a great movie. Not because the choreography is great, but because it touched on some fundamental principles of Budo in a way easily received by the west. Concepts like discipline, protection, mentorship, cleaning is training, it's about changing who you are through the art, things like this. There were real principles in all the movies.  I look forward to seeing that new show. 

18 hours ago, Premi said:

Anyone watched this ?

Yeah I did, it's long, you might have to break the sitting up, but good. Although I must say I doubt Frank Sheeran's account. 

20 hours ago, HSD said:

Give the book a go once you’ve watched the show. 

I think I will. Just started season 2. Finding it really interesting. 

On 2/16/2022 at 3:15 PM, HSD said:

A word of warning: the show loses a producer after every season so there is a drop in quality. I think the show writers felt it cut too close to the bone making this show in Trump’s America so it comes to an abrupt and jarring end in season 4. 

That black haired nazi's (John Smith?) acting is top notch! The one with the 'disabled' son.  

5 hours ago, Premi said:

there’s a Panjabi version…

image.jpeg.ef9536f21d087733bf608f3a711918ea.jpeg
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky_Mental

I'll definitely avoid that one like the plague.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 6:59 PM, dalsingh101 said:

I'm a few episodes into season 4. What makes you think it dropped in quality. Seems consistently good to me? 

Even though the show does drop off as it went on, I would still rate it as one of the best. It’s one of the only ones I’ve bothered to watch twice. 

The first season is very good as it takes a lot of what is in the book and translates it well to screen. The scene between Hitler and his assassin mirrors a very clever part of the book that is highly thought provoking. That season also draws parallels to other’s colonial history that is relatable. 

The second season I think is when Ridley Scott left, or one of the other producers did. Frank Frink goes from being a symbol of American cultural reawakening like he is in the book to some weird freedom fighter more at home in a Red Dawn movie. There is no real explanation for the weird disparity in strength between Japan and Germany. Nor would Japan rely on Texan oil, it’s a very unrealistic attempt at world building. 

The third season is good but the fourth season again goes off in a weird tangent. Chinese communists spent most of WW2 hiding in mountains and would have been a spent force as they relied on Soviet help. The black communists themselves were organised and supplied by Japan before WW2 so why they would have been so good at resisting is another weird storyline. It felt like the show writers were simply doing that American thing of striving for a happy ending no matter how outlandish. 

The thing is the book offers a clean snapshot of this other world with no obvious beginning or proper ending. It does predict the course of the Cold War which is surprising for a book written in the 60s. The Nazi Germans brag about their scientific achievements with a manned mission to Venus and claim to have full social cohesion. The Imperial Japanese on the other hand are fighting a pointless war in the jungles of Brazil and have major issues in most parts of their territories. By the end of the book it is revealed the Nazi space programme is just a cover for a weapons deployment and most of its population are fed up of poverty. Japan on the other hand at least gives people a type of freedom and opportunity they won’t get elsewhere. The parallels with what happened in the real Cold War are unusually prescient. The same won’t be said of the tv show with black communists and white racists coming together to reunite the US. Or lost ones travelling from other worlds as if from a successful ghostdance.