Khalsa Rule

sukhsingh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest BikramjitSingh

KHALSA Litteraly means the "pure ones"...right?

Raj karega Khalsa

the Pure ones will rule

not nessecerely the Sikhs ..erm right :? ?

Hey why don't we take everything back to it's original meaning ?

Sikh means student and not necessarily the Sikhs of Guru Nanak - Guru Gobind Singh. So this means that all the teachings in the Guru Granth Sahib are just for 'students'. Since I'm not a student anymore this means that I don't need to follow the teachings of the Guru Granth Sahib, right ?.

Guru means teacher right ?. So Does this mean that my old school teacher could have liberated me and given me mukti ?

Mr Singh your logic is faultless :)

Hey why don't we take everything back to it's original meaning ?

Sikh means student and not necessarily the Sikhs of Guru Nanak - Guru Gobind Singh. So this means that all the teachings in the Guru Granth Sahib are just for 'students'. Since I'm not a student anymore this means that I don't need to follow the teachings of the Guru Granth Sahib, right ?.

Guru means teacher right ?. So Does this mean that my old school teacher could have liberated me and given me mukti ?

I know...isn't it :shock:

no but seriously

well Sikh means student right...

well followers of the Sikh religion arn't only Sikhs

I've hear in kathats were they say

every one is a student.. :shock:

So this means that all the teachings in the Guru Granth Sahib are just for 'students'

you mean the teachings in SGGS are only for the followers of the Sikh religion :shock: no1 else ay follow the teaches of SGGS :o?

Since I'm not a student anymore this means that I don't need to follow the teachings of the Guru Granth Sahib, right ?.

Says who?

ur still a student..learner...disciple ....

May'be ur not a student in whatever Uni..but ur stilla Stundet....somethin u can't deny :shock:

No comments :P

Guest BikramjitSingh

you mean the teachings in SGGS are only for the followers of the Sikh religion :shock: no1 else ay follow the teaches of SGGS :o??

If you follow the teachings of the Guru Granth Sahib then you are a Sikh, or am I wrong ?

Just trying to point out that we need to understand what terms meant in the context that the Gurus used them.

If Khalsa meant just 'pure' then why create the Khalsa in the first place ?. Surely Khalsa means a collective of Singhs who follow the Rehat or does it just mean 'pure', so any non-Sikh who is pure of heart can claim to be the Khalsa ??

If Khalsa meant just 'pure' then why create the Khalsa in the first place ?. Surely Khalsa means a collective of Singhs who follow the Rehat or does it just mean 'pure', so any non-Sikh who is pure of heart can claim to be the Khalsa ??

Sikh - a student of God... it is said that Sikhs do not discriminate... Sikhs believe in equality... Sikhs promote Universal Brotherlyhood... this is the reason that Sikhs do not propogate conversions... but then, by defining that Khalsa 'only pure ones' as being the only Sikhs, are we not restricting the scope of Sikhism...?

Sikhs are already discriminating between the Khalsa and non-Khalsa... then how can we claim what we propogate that whole humanity is equal... if we do not consider a person being a Sikh, who has not yet embraced Khalsaism ie. who is not following the rehat...? Dont you think that the term Sikh is a wider term in Sikhism and Khalsaism being the pinnacle in Sikhism... I think everybody is a Sikh, who is trying to follow the basic footsteps laid down in SGGS... Khalsa is an advanced stage for a Sikh... but by following the rehat can that person be called a Khalsa if he/her deedz do not reflect upon it...

By claiming that only Khlasa 'the pure ones' are the Sikhs, are we not condeming the persons who have not yet reached the mental stage of becoming a Khalsa... but are trying to be the pure ones ? Are we not in a sense discriminating and restricting the scope of Sikhism as being a universal Religion... ?

Although, I personally defend that only the Khalsa should have the rights to manage the affairs of the Sikhs and Sikhs trying to become a Khalsa...

BCM...

Regards

Gur Fateh,

From my personal understanding (and I welcome the forum to correct me where I maybe mistaken) 'Khalsa' meaning 'pure' is a recent translation of the term (say 150 years).

Gurdev Pita, Guru Gobind Singh in his Shabd 'Jagat Jyot..' uses the words 'Khalsa' and 'Nakhalas' as follows:

'Khalsa tahin Nakhalas Jano'.

'Then and only then will Khalsa be considered pure'.

[shabd, Dasam Granth]

What is interesting to note here is that the word 'nakhalas' means pure.

So, did Guruji mean 'pure' when using the word 'khalsa'.

The 'pure' translation of Khalsa came into being during the Raj, when the British, concerned at the possibility Sikh soldiers and Sikh masses regrouping against them, asked some Sikh leaders loyal to them, (Arjan Singh Bagarian et al) to explain the underpinnings of the Khalsa.

Arjan Bagarian is said to have coined the 'pure' translation in order to ease British fears such that to be a Khalsa is to be spiritually pure contrary to the usual understanding of being subordinated to none (other than Akaal). [see Parasaraprashna by Sardar Kapur Singh for details of this meaning].

Forgive any errors in the foregoing,

GUR BAR AKAAAAAL!

Guest BikramjitSingh

The pure translation according to what I have read has been emphasised after 1947. Kapur Singh writes that the words 'Raj Karega Khalsa' haunted both the Hindus and the Muslims in 1947 as they believed that the Sikhs were about to take back their Raj in Punjab.

After 1947 the tendency from British times to downplay what the Khalsa actually meant has continued due to the desire not to antagonise the Hindus and hence the 'Pure' translation that Mr Singh brought up

The pure translation according to what I have read has been emphasised after 1947. Kapur Singh writes that the words 'Raj Karega Khalsa' haunted both the Hindus and the Muslims in 1947 as they believed that the Sikhs were about to take back their Raj in Punjab.

After 1947 the tendency from British times to downplay what the Khalsa actually meant has continued due to the desire not to antagonise the Hindus and hence the 'Pure' translation that Mr Singh brought up

I am a simple Moorakh

Forgive me If I have offended anyone :(

Guest BikramjitSingh

Arjan Bagarian is said to have coined the 'pure' translation in order to ease British fears such that to be a Khalsa is to be spiritually pure contrary to the usual understanding of being subordinated to none (other than Akaal). [see Parasaraprashna by Sardar Kapur Singh for details of this meaning].

Forgive any errors in the foregoing,

GUR BAR AKAAAAAL!

Niranjana

Can I request that you do not refer to people like Bhai Arjan Singh Bagrian in such a manner as you did. His proper name is Bhai Arjan Singh, even Arjan Singh would do but don't deny him his Sikh identity and refer to him as you did

Gur Fateh!

Bikramjit Singh, sorry to have offended you in my post, as you will note however in the paragraph before the one you quote, I have referred to him as Arjan 'Singh' Bagrian, however I acknowledge that this was missing the second time around -not intentionally mind you, just a quick something I wrote out in my lunch break ...but as I did request from the outset, always welcome feedback and corrections were applicable, so 'Thank You' ;)

All is noted!

GUR BAR AKAAAAL!

Can I request that you do not refer to people like Bhai Arjan Singh Bagrian in such a manner as you did. His proper name is Bhai Arjan Singh, even Arjan Singh would do but don't deny him his Sikh identity and refer to him as you did