Jump to content

SOUTHALL: Havelock Road name change to Guru Nanak Dev Ji Road consultation seems to have resulted in approval #SikhLivesMatter #BlackLivesMatter


Recommended Posts

Just heard this on Panjab Radio this morning in the UK.
There was a consultation on changing the name for Havelock Road, Southall - this is also where the famous Singh Sabha Gurdwara is situated (which you will sometimes see in media and some British TV movies and documentaries), there is also another popular Singh Sabha Gurdwara on Park Avenue in Southall - just explaining to avoid confusion.
Here is an article from 2002 to show context with regards to Major-General Sir Henry Havelock and issues with the name of the street. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2003119.stm
So anyway the radio station was congratulating everyone as it seems the name change has been approved! Just found some Singh Sabha Gurdwara facebook posts regarding this now:
 
 
 
A few days ago in Bristol, a slaver trader's statue was toppled by the protestors.
 
Yesterday, Robert Milligan was taken off plinth in London by the Tower Hamlets Council in East London.
It looks like these protests about #BlackLivesMatter which erupted due to the shooting in USA are also useful for sikhs. This is already helping in pushing the case for Havelock's name to be removed from the street in Southall, whereas before no progress was made.
The uk will now be looking at colonial statues and memorabilia to see what can be removed. This is important as many of the colonial related people affected sikhs in negative ways!
NOTE: I know protests are going on, but as it is COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic, please be safe and observe social distancing. There is too much crowding at these protests, and could lead to increases in cases for the virus!
Edited by ipledgeblue
added havelock bbc article
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2020 at 11:42 AM, ipledgeblue said:
Just heard this on Panjab Radio this morning in the UK.
There was a consultation on changing the name for Havelock Road, Southall - this is also where the famous Singh Sabha Gurdwara is situated (which you will sometimes see in media and some British TV movies and documentaries), there is also another popular Singh Sabha Gurdwara on Park Avenue in Southall - just explaining to avoid confusion.
Here is an article from 2002 to show context with regards to Major-General Sir Henry Havelock and issues with the name of the street. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2003119.stm
So anyway the radio station was congratulating everyone as it seems the name change has been approved! Just found some Singh Sabha Gurdwara facebook posts regarding this now:
 
 
 
A few days ago in Bristol, a slaver trader's statue was toppled by the protestors.
 
Yesterday, Robert Milligan was taken off plinth in London by the Tower Hamlets Council in East London.
It looks like these protests about #BlackLivesMatter which erupted due to the shooting in USA are also useful for sikhs. This is already helping in pushing the case for Havelock's name to be removed from the street in Southall, whereas before no progress was made.
The uk will now be looking at colonial statues and memorabilia to see what can be removed. This is important as many of the colonial related people affected sikhs in negative ways!
NOTE: I know protests are going on, but as it is COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic, please be safe and observe social distancing. There is too much crowding at these protests, and could lead to increases in cases for the virus!

I disagree. You cannot rewrite history. Where will it stop? 
 

how many people think about the name of the road ‘havelock’ and cared until recently about this ‘BLM’ movement 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2020 at 10:43 AM, Premi said:

I disagree. You cannot rewrite history. Where will it stop? 
 

how many people think about the name of the road ‘havelock’ and cared until recently about this ‘BLM’ movement 

This isn't about rewriting history, it's about acknowledging the truth about certain evil characters and recognising them for what they were, instead of glorifying them as some sort of icons.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I should add:

I have heard from certain black people I know, that they feel some resentment that the frontlining they have done in confronting racism, benefits others who don't make the sacrifices they make. 

 

Also cultural appropriation is an issue. Like we have BLM and others jump on the wagon after it gets a successful profile with their own copycat slogans like SLM. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2020 at 4:42 PM, dalsingh101 said:

I should add:

I have heard from certain black people I know, that they feel some resentment that the frontlining they have done in confronting racism, benefits others who don't make the sacrifices they make. 

 

Also cultural appropriation is an issue. Like we have BLM and others jump on the wagon after it gets a successful profile with their own copycat slogans like SLM. 

that resentment shouldn't be there, the sacrifices should benefit everyone. Just as sikhs sacrificed in the past.

 

The copycat slogans make them more recognisable. I remember muslims used to use #FreePalestine and we could easily use something like #FreePunjab

Although we could come up with our own like #sikhs4justuce or #sikhs1984

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ipledgeblue said:

that resentment shouldn't be there, the sacrifices should benefit everyone. Just as sikhs sacrificed in the past.

Well, they say that others often benefit from their sacrifices more than they do. There is some justification of African-Americans saying that some other nonwhite communities stay silent about the disproportionate focus white racists give blacks, and quietly continue to benefit in the white establishment, and only ever jump on the bandwagon when they themselves feel threatened. 

What sacrifices do you think Sikhs made in the past that everyone else benefited from? Taking down the Moghuls?  

Quote

The copycat slogans make them more recognisable.

Yeah, but they can also serve to distract from the specific issues black people are trying to bring in focus, that specifically affect their own community more than others.

 

How's Cali btw? Plus, I've been wanting to ask - have you ever seen a tarantula in the wild out there? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2020 at 12:15 PM, dalsingh101 said:

How's Cali btw? Plus, I've been wanting to ask - have you ever seen a tarantula in the wild out there? 

I'm not in Cali, I'm a Londoner 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ipledgeblue said:

I'm not in Cali, I'm a Londoner 🤣

Don't know why I thought you was from cali? lol

 

Which side of London? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 4:01 PM, dalsingh101 said:

Don't know why I thought you was from cali? lol

 

Which side of London? 

the west sides, just outside the desi areas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2020 at 5:11 PM, ipledgeblue said:

the west sides, just outside the desi areas.

Cool. Hope you're well and safe. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...