Farm bills: Farmers hold protests in Punjab

kdsingh80

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chandigarh/farm-bills-farmers-hold-protests-in-punjab/articleshow/78150259.cms

Farmers of Punjab are protesting heaving against 3 farm bills introduced by Modi Government. According to this bill private players can setup mandi's and procure farm produce. Farmers are afraid that this will lead to dismantling of minimum support price.

Harsimrat Badal resigned as minister from modi government over differences on this bill .

6 hours ago, kidsama said:

I am not sure about the inner workings of the gov or this bill, but on paper it sounds great. Farmers can freely sell their crops to whoever. They are no longer bound. 
I don't understand what's the problem with this. 

Farmers are afraid that this bill will lead to ending minimum support price.Punjab and Haryana are biggest beneficiary of MSP. Also this bill is threat to existing mandi system which is working well for Punjab farmers. The corporates may set up new mandi's and give 50-100 rupees more for few years and then suddenly reduce price by the time when existing mandi's no longer function.

3 hours ago, kdsingh80 said:

Farmers are afraid that this bill will lead to ending minimum support price.Punjab and Haryana are biggest beneficiary of MSP. Also this bill is threat to existing mandi system which is working well for Punjab farmers. The corporates may set up new mandi's and give 50-100 rupees more for few years and then suddenly reduce price by the time when existing mandi's no longer function.

I don't really understand, but I still think this bill is good for some reason. All the people that I dislike are also speaking against this, so that's a warning sign for me, lol. 

On 9/21/2020 at 2:40 AM, kidsama said:

I don't really understand, but I still think this bill is good for some reason. All the people that I dislike are also speaking against this, so that's a warning sign for me, lol. 

Its like this ... the fear is that the MSP (minimum support price) farmers get for their crop is demolished thus something that they would get minimum of £1000 per tonne regardless now means that they have the opportunity to sell themselves .... without the the MSP they may now only get £500 per tonne which means its not viable to grow crops which means the loans they have cannot be repaid which means they live in debt...... the cycle.... i saw a quote a few days a go "in the last 10 years there have been over 16000 farmer suicides - 86% of them due to debt". concerning quote wouldn't you say. 

Another issue is a farmer with little land will not be able to sell his crop to corporations at higher rates. It stands to reason - supply and demand. The more supply ( bigger farm) the higher the price you can demand. if you are a farmer with 5 acres how could you get the same rates for your crop as someone with 50 acres without the MCP.