Gurpurab of Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji

seattlesingh

I had assumed that the gurpurab of guru Nanak dev ji has always been on and celebrated on Kattak di Puranmashi ( the day of the full moon in the month of kattak). As tomorrow is Sangrand of Kattak month (which lasts from October 17- November 15), the full moon during this month occurs on October 31st. But all calendars I've seen have the gurpurab placed on the 30th of November which is the full moon of Maghar. 

Hoping the sangat has any insights to the matter 

Bhul chuk maaf karni 

11 hours ago, seattlesingh said:

I had assumed that the gurpurab of guru Nanak dev ji has always been on and celebrated on Kattak di Puranmashi ( the day of the full moon in the month of kattak). As tomorrow is Sangrand of Kattak month (which lasts from October 17- November 15), the full moon during this month occurs on October 31st. But all calendars I've seen have the gurpurab placed on the 30th of November which is the full moon of Maghar. 

Hoping the sangat has any insights to the matter 

Bhul chuk maaf karni 

Thats a good observation. I have same question.logically, it should be oct 31st . Even Nanaksar calendar has gurpurab on nov 30th. I am not really sure about the reason. My guess is it has something to do with having 2 full moons in one month of oct, which is quite rare. Thats where the phrase once in a blue moon comes from. Maybe someone else can provide some insight into this ?