Advice for expanding Sikh knowledge:

PhunkeyPhish

Hi everyone, 

I am relatively new to Sikhi faith and have been studying/practicing off and on for the past few years now. Prior to Sikhi I practiced Buddhism for the better part of 15 years and before that was raised Christian and "dabbled" in Judaism before being introduced to Indian philosophy and religion. Lately I have been learning more about Hinduism, specifically Advaita Vedanta. At the moment I kind of consider myself to be a Vedanta-Nanakpanthi. I see a lot of overlap between Advaita Vedanta and Sikhi and for me Vedanta helps me with the philosophical and knowledge while Sikhi helps me more with the devotional side of my spirituality.

My question for the forum is recommendations to further my study and practice of Sikhi. I have read several books on the life and teachings of Guru Nanak, along with books summarizing all the Gurus and history of the Sikhs, as well. I have also read some of the Guru Granth Sahib. In addition to these readings, I read the Bhagavad Gita and Upanishads as part of my spiritual practice, as well. Any recommendations for other Sikh readings, or other suggestions to further my knowledge and experience of Sikhi? 

Thanks everyone, 

Om shanti shanti shanti. 

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh. 

Sat Sri Akal

Great to know you have found Sikhi after going on various spiritual, philosophical quests, I too learnt some vedanta, upanishads, Bhagvad Gita and arrived back to my own roots.

So my personal advice is learn from the Guru Granth Sahib as the primary source, there are many youtube videos that give a more deeper explanations than many translations. Also previously I could not read Punjabi so I fixed that and learnt it, it helps a lot and isn't as hard if one is trying to read Guru Granth Sahib and transliteration is given below.

Some youtube videos/playlists in english I will suggest, there is always Basics of Sikhi(for Sakhis, some history)

You will enjoy this as you have vedanta background, but there are many differences as well. Sikhism itself has the spiritual knowledge, philosophy and devotional all itself.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/panentheism/ sikhism IMHO is at least this.

Most important part Sikhi gives is practical meditation techniques but the channels and videos I know are in Punjabi, you can listen to some Kirtan on youtube, there are submissions for that here.

Other recommendation is obviously Dasam Granth which is by Guru Gobind Singh Ji.

I've not read it but there's a book called Warrior Saints, you can find similar books on Sikh Empire etc

In Sikhism Sangat(congreation, gathering) is given a lot of importance, so go to some Gurudwara, talk to some Sikhs there for guidance.
Also we do not consider Guru Granth Sahib Ji to be just another book(it got the Jot and is a full Guru) so please take appropriate precautions like covering head etc when reading it, and don't just go by normal translations, try to see the deeper meanings etc.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa 
Waheguru ji ki fateh

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/13/2020 at 2:44 AM, PhunkeyPhish said:

Hi everyone, 

I am relatively new to Sikhi faith and have been studying/practicing off and on for the past few years now. Prior to Sikhi I practiced Buddhism for the better part of 15 years and before that was raised Christian and "dabbled" in Judaism before being introduced to Indian philosophy and religion. Lately I have been learning more about Hinduism, specifically Advaita Vedanta. At the moment I kind of consider myself to be a Vedanta-Nanakpanthi. I see a lot of overlap between Advaita Vedanta and Sikhi and for me Vedanta helps me with the philosophical and knowledge while Sikhi helps me more with the devotional side of my spirituality.

My question for the forum is recommendations to further my study and practice of Sikhi. I have read several books on the life and teachings of Guru Nanak, along with books summarizing all the Gurus and history of the Sikhs, as well. I have also read some of the Guru Granth Sahib. In addition to these readings, I read the Bhagavad Gita and Upanishads as part of my spiritual practice, as well. Any recommendations for other Sikh readings, or other suggestions to further my knowledge and experience of Sikhi? 

Thanks everyone, 

Om shanti shanti shanti. 

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh. 

Hi, try reading Guru Granth Sahib Ji in its entirety. And apply the gyan taught in it to your everyday life. Remember the gyan throughout the day, and when maya comes, react in Truth, not in BS. 

• 2 weeks later...

Veer ji here is a list that dass would recommend as these books which have helped me to gain more understanding of Gurmat as they are in English so i will make a list as they are very good reading material.

Divine Mystic Reflections on Gurmat Book 1 & 2  & The Miracle of Ardaas these books are amazing and they changed my life a lot.

Se Kinehiya By Baba Sewa Singh. This book is amazing journey of Baba Harnam Singh Ji a very good book full of pratical experinces.

In search of the true guru. by Bhai Rama Singh Ji i have read bits of online as i don't have a copy. This is a eye opener of one's journey to Sikhi from Hinduism searching for answers.

Bhai Sahib Raghbir Singh Bir Ji is another good choice as i want to buy their books.

Andhitee Duniya by Bhai Randhir Singh Ji (although i have not read all of it it has very distrubing truths of death and the soul ghosts etc according to gurmat and personal experinces)

Anhad Shabad Dasam duaar by Bhai Randhir Singh ji a detalied glimpse of the stages of simran. Although i have read bits not full.

Jail Chittiaan and Autobiogrphy of Bhai Sahib Randhir Singh. I don't have this book but i read online bits of it it is really good. I have heard how peoples life got changed by reading this book is amazing of how Bhai Randhir SIngh Ji was a Gursikh and his journey from college to jail is a masterpiece.

I hope this list helps anyone who is reading this post or topic.