Can you speak Punjabi without adding words from another language.

Sajjan_Thug

Well, I don't think ANY language from a culture that has interacted with other cultures is immune from taking in 'loan words' from other languages. There are some Persian and even Arabic sourced words in the Panjabi lexicon for example. 

What I've found (over the last decade or so)  is that Panjabi does have quite a sophisticated vocabulary, but the vast majority of Panjabis never use most of this vocabulary in their everyday talk. They've sort of wilfully dumbed themselves down en masse by the looks of it? I'd say the average pendu background Panjabi uses a vocab range that is even lower than the one that the typical uneducated, The Sun (tabloid) reader uses. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 11:16 AM, Sajjan_Thug said:

Can you speak punjabi without adding English words.

Mostly. Depends on what you're talking about. Growing food, yes. Technology, no.

Do you find that there is some concepts that don't have a punjabi word so you have to insert a English word.

Yes, and that's fine, because English itself, has many germanic, latin, french and even sanskrit words in it.

What part of punjabi you think is under developed. 

The Panjabis themsleves lol. No-one in Panjab says "Pita Ji" any more more, they say "Father Sahib."