Wearing of helmet as part of occupation

Sikh - wearing helmet allowed or not as part of mandatory work requirement. Would like to know opinion based on Nanaksar Maryada. 

Also, like to know opinion on work environment which involves selling non-veg and other bad products as we know how it is in the west. For example someone working in a grocery store where you have a lot of anti-maryada products. 

On 3/21/2021 at 2:25 PM, sevak said:

Sikh - wearing helmet allowed or not as part of mandatory work requirement. Would like to know opinion based on Nanaksar Maryada. 

You can wear a helmet, if it is a mandatory safety requirement at your workplace. Wear a Patka, then the helmet should likely fit on top.

Bhul chuk maaf

Also, like to know opinion on work environment which involves selling non-veg and other bad products as we know how it is in the west. For example someone working in a grocery store where you have a lot of anti-maryada products. 

A Sikh must avoid touching products containing tobacco, as much as possible.

Bhul chuk maaf

Bro, please do have a look at the link below too.

Effect of Income/Occupation on Spiritual life - Gurbani | Gurmat | Spiritual Poetry and Discussions - SikhAwareness Forum

Bhul chuk maaf

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 9:25 PM, sevak said:

The Maryada of a Sikh is what Guru Gobind Singh blessed us with. Period. He did not give any dera any option to amend it.  So please be careful in your choice of words. 

Sikhs in the UK have fought and won the war to wear turbans instead of helmets at work. I don't know where you stay, but remember the Sikhs fought both World Wars with turbans, not helmets.

Finally, deriving income from alcohol or tobacco will impact your kamayee and your spiritual advancement.

11 hours ago, hsingh6 said:

The Maryada of a Sikh is what Guru Gobind Singh blessed us with. Period. He did not give any dera any option to amend it.  So please be careful in your choice of words. 

Sikhs in the UK have fought and won the war to wear turbans instead of helmets at work. I don't know where you stay, but remember the Sikhs fought both World Wars with turbans, not helmets.

Finally, deriving income from alcohol or tobacco will impact your kamayee and your spiritual advancement.

1) Correct about the Maryada of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. I don't know what you mean by "dera", however I would trust the words of a pooran brahmgyani over the words of some scholar who studied history books and decided that "this" is the maryada of Guru Gobind Singh ji. You should be careful when you say "dera". 

2) Sikhs in Armies over the world during special operation do wear helmets, for example you can see several pics of Harjit Sajjan who is the defence minister of Canada and you can see pictures of UK soldiers too wearing helmets. 

3) Agreed with you on the income of tobacco and alcohol - I am not involved in this at all, but it was a question as some sikhs do here -- they are owners of motels, convience stores that sell these products a lot. 

Best of Luck  !

On 4/1/2021 at 11:08 PM, sevak said:

1) Correct about the Maryada of Guru Gobind Singh Ji. I don't know what you mean by "dera", however I would trust the words of a pooran brahmgyani over the words of some scholar who studied history books and decided that "this" is the maryada of Guru Gobind Singh ji. You should be careful when you say "dera". 

2) Sikhs in Armies over the world during special operation do wear helmets, for example you can see several pics of Harjit Sajjan who is the defence minister of Canada and you can see pictures of UK soldiers too wearing helmets. 

3) Agreed with you on the income of tobacco and alcohol - I am not involved in this at all, but it was a question as some sikhs do here -- they are owners of motels, convience stores that sell these products a lot. 

Best of Luck  !

Well understood. Thanks

I hope you are aware that the pooran Bhramgyani never built a structure wherever he did bandgi, in fact he destroyed the hut where he stayed before moving on to another location. His "followers" built all these structures and this maryada that you referred to. 

Also do remember that a Brahmgyani does not have the power to make another person a Brahmgyani - that is only with Vahiguru and Guru Granth Sahib our guru...so while all sadhus with kamayee are to be respected our connect should only be with our Guru not with a sadhu.

• 1 month later...

Sir, when you do not agree with the other side, it is disrespectful to restate your argument. Shouting your point by writing in Caps makes it worse.

My position is unchanged and you are welcome to yours.

Over six decades of my life, I have always wondered where these deras came up from? In the 70s and 80s when I was growing up, all these deras were non existent or at the periphery of thought and no one paid attention to them...the universal pyaar for Sikhee subsumed all these so called differences in observations which later started being talked about as different "maryadas' to give them a veneer of respectability. Post Bluestar, through state patronage and otherwise, they have mushroomed to break Sikhs from Bani and tangle them up in their maryadas.

The only purpose of these deras, as I see them,  is to misguide the people and give them such an injection, that love for Sikhee and love for humanity is secondary to love for "their" maryada and their "babajee" who travels in an SUV with a guard of twenty well built people...using sangats money....the sadhus and sants I have grown up with, never built any deras, some didn't even build a hut for themselves ...yet they could change you inside out when you met them..

Bhai Vir Singh, an ordinary Sikh with no dera and no guards influenced more people into Sikhee than any of these derawadis put together. He did not set any maryada. Don't take my word for it, hear how he changed Prof Puran Singh from being a bhagvaa Sadhu to taking Khande De Pahul...how he changed katar Arya Samajis into Sikhs just by speaking to them...by watching the series below. The fragrance of Sikhee is that of a rose which  does not announce, much less shout about its presence,...but we all love the smell when we are around it.

If you still disagree, I respect your views but don't agree with them...

Please listen to Sukhmani Sahib paath on Guru Sahib bachans regarding the position of Brahmgyani / Sadhus / Sants.

Nanaksar Structures were built based on Baba Ji prophecy & bachan. Please do an honest study of Nanaksar history.

Not sure what deras you refer too. Im not involved with any. Im just responding to your previous comment on Nanaksar. I felt there is a need to clarify.