Statue of Sikh Soldier in Wolverhampton

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-55265286

The clay model of the statueimage copyrightWolverhampton Council
image captionThe sculpture is due to be unveiled in Wednesfield on the 124th anniversary of the battle on 12 September 2021

The final design of a statue to 19th Century Sikh soldiers has been unveiled as the last stage of work begins.

The 3m-high (10ft) sculpture, by artist Luke Perry, is due to be erected in Wednesfield, Wolverhampton, in September.

The clay model will be painted in wax before being cast in bronze.

It commemorates the Battle of Saragarhi. Although little-known, it is considered by some military historians as one of history's great last-stands.

During the battle on 12 September 1897, 21 Sikhs died defending a British army post from 10,000 Afghan tribesmen.

The clay model of the statueimage copyrightWolverhampton Council
image captionOnce complete, the statue will stand 10ft (3m) tall

Sikhs make up almost 10% of Wolverhampton's population - almost 23,000 people - and it has been an ambition of councillor Bhupinder Gakhal to share the story for decades.

He said he was "thrilled" by the "wonderful memorial" and hoped it would encourage others to learn more about Saragarhi.

It is due to be unveiled in Well Lane, near the Guru Nanak Gurdwara, on 12 September 2021, the anniversary of the battle.

That sculpture has been displayed in neighbouring Smethwick since 2018.

"With artworks like Saragarhi I want to create sculptures that are a visible marker of the under represented but vital, real people in our communities," Mr Perry said.

"Because when you represent people you empower them."

I don't know what you brothers feel about this but I'm very angry myself. On the one hand we are getting a 10ft statue of a Sikh in Wolverhampton to commemorate the Sikhs soldiers of the World Wars. The same World Wars the Sikhs gave their lives for, whilst being slaves of the British. The same British that 1 year after WW1 shot down over a thousand mainly Sikh crowd in Jallianwala Bagh. The same British that took the crown lands of Maharajah Dalip Singh by deceit and handed them over to the muslims and hindus of Lahore and Delhi.

Right now, when we need the help of the British Government, to get justice in Jagtar Singh Johal's case, the British govt are doing nothing but lip service. Compare this to the recent case of Roman Protasevic, who was arrested by the Belarus Govt. In the House of Commons, Matt Hancock has announced that Belarus airlines are now banned from UK, and has warned Belarus Govt about torturing Roman, and Prime Minister Boris has warned Belarus of the consequences of their actions.

No fighting words for Jagtar though, even after 80,000 of us lay down our lives for these people.

2 hours ago, chatanga1 said:

I don't know what you brothers feel about this but I'm very angry myself. On the one hand we are getting a 10ft statue of a Sikh in Wolverhampton to commemorate the Sikhs soldiers of the World Wars. The same World Wars the Sikhs gave their lives for, whilst being slaves of the British. The same British that 1 year after WW1 shot down over a thousand mainly Sikh crowd in Jallianwala Bagh. The same British that took the crown lands of Maharajah Dalip Singh by deceit and handed them over to the muslims and hindus of Lahore and Delhi.

Right now, when we need the help of the British Government, to get justice in Jagtar Singh Johal's case, the British govt are doing nothing but lip service. Compare this to the recent case of Roman Protasevic, who was arrested by the Belarus Govt. In the House of Commons, Matt Hancock has announced that Belarus airlines are now banned from UK, and has warned Belarus Govt about torturing Roman, and Prime Minister Boris has warned Belarus of the consequences of their actions.

No fighting words for Jagtar though, even after 80,000 of us lay down our lives for these people.

You've said it all. The issue is with lumpen sections of the quom  having no ability to see through flattering words/propaganda, and seeing how we are being treated in comparison to others. And it's Juts mainly who struggle with this. 

It's on record that these brits think that most apnay are docile simpletons, and this is how they act in accordance to this.  The question is how quickly can we snap our people out of their dream world and wake them up to socio-political ground realities? This has already started I think. 

But until certain realities permeate throughout the consciousness of the panth, this type of pandering to colonialism with continue - but it has been severely knocked.