Following All Rehatname

7 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

Here (from the same bani) both kirpaan and kard are mentioned:

ਤੁਹੀ ਸੂਲ ਸੈਥੀ ਤਬਰ ਤੂ ਨਿਖੰਗ ਅਰੁ ਬਾਨ ॥

ਤੁਹੀ ਕਟਾਰੀ ਸੇਲ ਸਭ ਤੁਮ ਹੀ ਕਰਦ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਨ ॥੬॥

In the katha of Sri Shastar naam Mala Saab, Gyani Thakur Singh jee mentioned that the following four Shastars (in the verse below) all refer to the KATAAR. They are probably referring to different versions (see one below in the link) of the KATAAR. Similarly, it is possible that Karad, Chhuri, Khanjar and Kirpan, all refer to different versions of a Knife/Dagger.

ਜਮਧਰ ਜਮਦਾੜਾ ਜਬਰ ਜੋਧਾਂਤਕ ਜਿਹ ਨਾਇ ॥

Jamdhar Katari - Wikipedia

Bhul chuk maaf

8 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

@paapiman

Veer ji, I've been casually going through some older rahits lately (because of this thread) and I don't think it is possible to follow them all like suggested in the OP. 

Please do share some injunctions bro, especially the ones who think are not very commonly known among the Sikhs.

Bhul chuk maaf

On 7/8/2021 at 5:45 PM, dalsingh101 said:

Veer ji, I've been casually going through some older rahits lately (because of this thread) and I don't think it is possible to follow them all like suggested in the OP

You are saying that in a way that they are difficult (like Dietary Bibek) or are contradictory? 

On 7/8/2021 at 12:32 PM, paapiman said:

Do AKJ Singhs follow the below Rehat strictly?

It's useless for both of us to talk about someone else's Rehat.

And I am repeating this again a person should sincerely strive to follow all Rehat if not able to follow a hukam due to forced circumstances. This includes ardaas, doing sangat and doing more Paath to gain strength.

Trimandeep Singh 

15 hours ago, paapiman said:

Daas asked you a question. If you don't know the answer, just say that you don't know.

Further, we are not talking about one particular individual. We are talking about a Jathebandi, which probably claims to follow the Full Rehat.

Bhul chuk maaf

I don't need to hide my inability to answer that question. Puratan AKJ singhs probably follow this but not Singhs abroad.  

Also, I had cleared this point before.

Taksaal too claims of having the most authentic Rehat sources and same is with the Nihangs, yet they have minor disputes. 

You are going so much into differences which either creates a negative impression of yours or the jathebandi. 

You should have a problem with AKJ if they don't respect the opinions of other jathebandis and label them as qurehtia. They practice their Rehat (which is accepted in the Panth) within their own smagams and for your information, other jathebandis have been involved in this stuff of defaming other jathebandis.

Few years back, the Jagowale were spreading a serious anti-AKJ propaganda on Social media when they did bhog of a Samagam at Mundawni despite knowing that it is optional to do bhog at Ragmaala. So who's doing all this stuff? 

I am not at all anti-Jagowaala but your opinions on other jathebandis are surely not cooperative. 

Some practices of the Nihangs are not followed by Taksaal because they think it is Manmat but they keep it within their own jatha and refrain from touching these topics to maintain their pyaar and satkaar for other sampradas. All these differences in Rehat and interpretations is a khed of Vaheguru and only he knows how this will benefit the Panth.

We all should have this attitude of Taksaal than trying our best to find faults in someone else's Rehat.

Bhul chuk maaf

Trimandeep Singh 

22 hours ago, Trimandeep Singh said:

Few years back, the Jagowale were spreading a serious anti-AKJ propaganda on Social media when they did bhog of a Samagam at Mundawni despite knowing that it is optional to do bhog at Ragmaala. So who's doing all this stuff? 

The above is not a very big issue as AKJ were following the so-called Panthic Rehat Maryada.

Defaming anyone is completely against Gurmat.

Bhul chuk maaf

23 hours ago, Trimandeep Singh said:

We all should have this attitude of Taksaal than trying our best to find faults in someone else's Rehat.

But, you do agree (after this discussion) that the Gurmat Bibeki Singhs do not follow the Full Rehat right?

There is no doubt that they follow a lot of Rehats, which includes the difficult Rehats of Sarabloh and Bibek.

Bhul chuk maaf

On 7/8/2021 at 8:15 AM, dalsingh101 said:

@paapiman

Veer ji, I've been casually going through some older rahits lately (because of this thread) and I don't think it is possible to follow them all like suggested in the OP. 

@Trimandeep Singh - Hope you read the above post brother.

Dal Singh jee has been a member of this Forum for a very long time and has plenty of knowledge of Sikh historical texts. His opinion on this topic carries a lot of weight.

Bhul chuk maaf

• 3 weeks later...

ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਮੇਲ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦ ਸੋ, ਕਛ ਕੇਸਨ ਸਦ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ।

[Always] stay with your Weapons [shastar] and the Guru's Word [Shabad], always have love for your Kachera [undergarment] and Kes [uncut hair].

ਕਰਦ ਰਾਖਨੀ ਪੰਚ ਏ, ਤਜੈ ਨ ਕਬ ਹੀ ਨੇਮ ।

Keeping a Karad [small dagger] is the fifth [commandment/rehat], do not abandon these in your daily discipline.

Unquote[1]

[1] - The Five Rehats - Gurbilas Patshahi 10 (manglacharan.com)

Bhul chuk maaf

55 minutes ago, paapiman said:

ਸ਼ਸਤ੍ਰ ਮੇਲ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦ ਸੋ, ਕਛ ਕੇਸਨ ਸਦ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ।

[Always] stay with your Weapons [shastar] and the Guru's Word [Shabad], always have love for your Kachera [undergarment] and Kes [uncut hair].

ਕਰਦ ਰਾਖਨੀ ਪੰਚ ਏ, ਤਜੈ ਨ ਕਬ ਹੀ ਨੇਮ ।

Keeping a Karad [small dagger] is the fifth [commandment/rehat], do not abandon these in your daily discipline.

Unquote[1]

[1] - The Five Rehats - Gurbilas Patshahi 10 (manglacharan.com)

Bhul chuk maaf

@dalsingh101 - Please have a look at the above verses bro.

Notice that Shastars (weapons) are mentioned as a separate Rehat, as to keeping a Karad (small dagger).

Maybe Shastars are a reference to the Panj Hatheyaar?

Your thoughts?

Thanks

@Trimandeep Singh

Bhul chuk maaf

18 hours ago, paapiman said:

Notice that Shastars (weapons) are mentioned as a separate Rehat, as to keeping a Karad (small dagger).

Your thoughts?

Thanks

@Trimandeep Singh

Bhul chuk maaf

@dalsingh101 @Trimandeep Singh

There is a reference to the Panj Shastar in Bhai Daya Singh Rehatnama. It is a separate Rehat, to keeping a Kirpan.

2111504098_panjshastar.thumb.jpg.9fccb26bb3c910377ee4cc54b10bc559.jpg

Bhul chuk maaf

18 hours ago, paapiman said:

Your thoughts?

The impression you get (from extant hukamnamas from Guru ji) is that overall the idea was for Sikhs to be well armed. In some hukams they use the 'panj hathiars' phrase and in some a more plain wording that just says to come with 'hathiars' is used. I don't think it was as super rigid a prescription as you seem to be thinking, with an exact specification of weapons. That's probably why you see little variations in between rehats.   

The 'kirpaan gatray rakh' might not be a separate rehat, but just specifying how to carry the kirpaan. I vaguely recall some rahit saying not to carry your sword slung over your back (like a Ninja). 

On 7/4/2021 at 1:25 PM, chatanga1 said:

The moghals had been using forms of canon and such, since Babur. I'm still not convinced yet that guns had become a norm by that time though. I haven't heard many instances in Sri Gur Panth Parkash of Sikhs using guns, but it would be interesting to see where and what time Bhai Ratta Singh Bhangu does mention them.

Here's an interesting hukam nama from Ashok's collection. If genuine, it seems that Guru ji was acquiring a small canon or bandook (ਤੁਪਕ)? 

SGGS Gurmukhi-Gurmukhi Dictionary
Ŧupak. ਛੋਟੀ ਤੋਪ, ਬੰਦੂਕ। small cannon, carbine. ਉਦਾਹਰਨ: ਓਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਤੁਪਕ ਤਾਣਿ ਚਲਾਈ ਓਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਹਸਤਿ ਚਿੜਾਈ ॥ Raga Aaasaa 1, Asatpadee 12, 5:2 (P: 418).

SGGS Gurmukhi-English Dictionary
[Per. n.] Gun
SGGS Gurmukhi-English Data provided by Harjinder Singh Gill, Santa Monica, CA, USA.

Mahan Kosh Encyclopedia

ਫ਼ਾ.੧ ਤਪਕ. {ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ}. ਛੋਟੀ ਤੋਪ। (2) ਬੰਦੂਕ. ਤੁਫ਼ੰਗ. "ਓਨੀ ਤੁਪਕ ਤਾਣਿ ਚਲਾਈ". (ਆਸਾ ਅਃ ਮਃ ੧) "ਤੁਪਕ ਤਬਰ ਅਰੁ ਤੀਰ". (ਸਨਾਮਾ) ਦੇਖੋ, ਤੁਫ਼ੰਗ.

Mahan Kosh data provided by Bhai Baljinder Singh (RaraSahib Wale); See http://www.ik13.com

1611601927_ashoktoopakhukam.png.9fbb4b6fe77d5abb96eca7eb412e6ff4.png 

On 7/27/2021 at 5:59 PM, paapiman said:

According to Bhai Daya Singh Rehatnama:

• Singhs are suppose to keep a dagger on their heads.
  • Singhs are suppose to take a bath with milk, yoghurt and butter milk

I have never heard or read about these rehats though. Anyways, thank you for posting...i will start my research on puratan Rehat Maryada again.

I wanted to get a book of Bhai Manvir Singh UK on Authentic Rehat Maryada which can be purchased from Khalsa Foundation Store but they don't export it. But they can deliver in Canada.

Bhaisaab, if you want to research more about Rehat Maryada...then do get that book and don't forget to share some valuable information from it : )

Trimandeep Singh