Another Turban Question!!!!

Quick question, what do you guys think about the "stitched turbans". The ones that are cut in half and then are stitched? For amritdharis do you think it is ok. I have heard from Tapoban singhs that the gurmukhi dastaar should not have the back laar, or be stitched. What do you guys think??? I just find the other non stiched turbans don't tie the right size they tie really small even with a keski underneath.

bhai harjinder singh is a great keertanee in terms of his voice but if you know alot about him ull know why the more spiritually gifted wont feel as much "raas" from his keertan as opposed to "less commercial" keertanees........im nt dissing him........all im saying is dnt use him 2 compare 2 urself, do what is right 4 u........cuz sum ppl arent as perfect as u wud tink.............

u get raas from bani, from the meaning, a higher enlightened person would get more cos they understand it fully :roll:

i personally am offended by the comment "cuz sum ppl arent as perfect as u wud tink......."...... what?? u suggesting that theres soemthing wrong about bhai harjinder singh??

i was informed (from a reliable source) that wearing a stitched turban, or even putting pins in the turban, isnt in line with "sai" maryada

as for bhai harjinder singh....

i believe khalsa souljas point was to find out for urself....rather than just following someone who u believe to be a pooran gursikh

Yo nads yeh your right

But I mean with Bhai Harjinder Singh.....hes not a bad person.....hes a Gursikh no doubt and hasnt done a major paap or anything.....but I know for a fact that he does do 1 or 2 things that probably hinder him from getting to really awesomely high spiritual levels......Im not judging or anything......lol Im nt really expressiving myself to well.....all Im saying is.....we are all dumbass moorakhs.....so we cant judge others......but that doesnt mean the faces u see plastered on CD covers are totally free from the 5 enemies.....I wont say anymore otherwise it might turn into nindya :oops:

The stitched turban must be new, since there wasnt even such a thing as a pleated phug in Gurus times. Dumalla 4 Life!

but I know for a fact that he does do 1 or 2 things that probably hinder him from getting to really awesomely high spiritual levels

That just makes me laugh. First, you and your keski obbession for woman than you on for pins in the turban which restrict you to get salvation????????????????????????????? :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

what about most important thing you refuse to look?? which is bhavna and love for your gurooo??? That....you fullfill that by following gurbani and guroo's hakum...there rehat maryada comes in...yes damdami takshal strict you to put pins in the turban....But that does not mean that people who have pins in their pug will not get mukhti (salvation)/ merge with guroo's sahiban. Rehat maryada suppose to help you in the journey not restrict you anyways. These little things does not matter compare to your naam kaamiya and love towards guroo maharaj ji.

Khalsa soulja seriously if you were in the control you made sikhi an taliban regime.

KS, no offence but you shouldn't be saying things about Keertanias like that, comments that are alluding to slandering their character.

Bhai Harjinder Singh Ji has a very good 'jeevan', and this is what makes them so successful, let's face it, in terms of raag vidya they aren't very advanced, but the ras from their Kirtan is because of their 'ucha jeevan', my family knows them well.

So, let's not talk about their character and concentrate on the turban topic which was the point of the discussion yeah? Don't take it offensively.

Gurfateh

can someone tell me the length that a dastaar should be?? wat shade of blue/orange/black it should be??... how wide should it be?... what angle should the lar be at??.. how many inches should my ears be covered?? cos i dont wanna miss my chance of mukti cos my paag is different :twisted:

Dear all,

I dont think ur reading what Im saying. I couldnt care less how he ties his phug. My point is, alot of people know that some of the stuff he does, which you probably WONT know, isnt exactly something that Guruji would look kindly on. But Im NOT going to say what it is, being it would be nindya. Hes still a great Keertanee and has a good voice, and hes def at a higher level than I ever will be.

If you dont believe me then compare a shabad he does to someone that you know has 100percent killed off all their 5 sins and are total brahmgyanis. Im not comparing but otherwise ur nt gonna understand what Im tryna get across.

In terms of Raag Vidiya I dont think it matters much, my favs are Bhai Ravinder Singh Hazoori Raagi and Bhai Chattar Singh, neither use traditional Raags but their keertan is awesome.

N30 Singh, read what is there, not what you want to be there :LOL:

mkay.......i wnt spell it out bt ill make it pretty obvious

for example bhai chattar singh will NOT allow his pic to be taken for tapes or cds even tho hes got LOADS of keertan

when people give money to bhai chattar singh, he gives it BACK to the gurdwara or another charitable cause. he does NOT keep it for himself and own personal benefit not even to rent out a studio or anything - he just does it in all the gurdwara, in the presence of the saadh sangat and guru granth sahib ji.

thus bhai chattar singh does keertan purely out of love of god and there is not even 0.000000000001% other reason for it.

that is my idea of a perfect keertanee.

KS, everyone needs money to survive, these Keertania's also have families to support, so there is no shame in them earning their money through honest means, and what could be more honest and worthy than Kirtan Sewa?

It is unrealistic to have this stereotypical idea of a Raagi who accepts no money and is expected to do Kirtan for nothing, it doesn't work like that in this day and age, no one is saying it should become a business, but the Guru provides to all through different means, and within a limit it should be ok for Keertania's to use some of that money they get to survive. Don't be so harsh, because it's not practical.

Think about it, while they are singing, do you have any idea about how many people may be affected by their Kirtan? How many people have joined with Vaheguru even for a split second due to a Shabad sung by them? That is priceless Sewa, and if they take their earnings provided by the Sangat, what's wrong with that? It's nothing to what they provide, the Gurbani Ras? What a small price to pay!

If you have this attitude, and I know many people have, then no one will feel like doing Kirtan in a Jatha, because Keertania's are people just like us, they have needs, they cannot be expected to sing all day long for nothing, because their families would suffer, you can't have it both ways!

Gurfateh

Heritage of the Turban

http://www.sikh-info.com/turban.htm

To Sikhs, their turban is sacred. Their Gurus instructed them to wear it, and they have sacrificed their lives to protect its honor. The following collection of how the turban has been regarded throughout history has been put together for your information.

"Once they enter the gates of the court, they are to wear linen vestments, They shall wear linen turban, and linen drawers on their lions."

(Old Testament: Ezekiel 44:18-19)

The name "turban" is found in this form in European languages only: English-turban, turbaned; French-turban, tulband; German-turban; Italian, Spanish and Portugese-turbante; Dutch-tulbans; Romanian-tulipan; and it is generally traced to the Persian sarband. In Turkish sarik is the usual name for turban. In ancient Egyptian civilization the turban was considered an ornamental head dress. They called it pjr from which perhaps is derived the word pugree, so commonly used in Punjab and India. The Egyptians removed the turban at the time of mourning, a custom which prevailed in the Punjab up to the end of the last century. The Sikh apostle, Bhai Gurdas Ji humorously narrates an incident in his Vars, that when an elderly Punjabi came to his home with his turban accidentally off, the women folk took it to be a sign of mourning and started weeping and wailing although no one was dead. The old man's turban, off his head,gave a false alarm

gurpreet kaur

i know wat u mean, but common, bhai harjinder singh isnt exactly poor, hes like one of the best known and probs best paid keertanees around.......i know for a fact that many keertanees do not accept any money........how do they survive?

as soon as u start accepting money for praising god........i am pretty sure that subconsciously, in ur mind, ur intentions become much less pure

as for phugs i dnt think it really matters, personally i think its best to wear a dumalla or taksaali phug in order to maintain traditions of the gurus times bt its nt exactly gunna hinder you if u dont..........anyways i think modern phugs are a little impractical for sports etc....they just sorta fall off

no kirtani ever comes n says "cmon give me some money" ur comparing them to buskers - they do their kirtan and the sangat give money because they enjoy the kirtan etc

no one is forcing u to give them money - if u have a problem with kirtanis takin money dont give em any... jus put the money in the golak if thats where u want it to go

anyways this has nothing to do with the main topic.. sorry

if ppl wanna carry this on - please make a new thread :D

Fateh Ji,

This is new to me, stitched turban :shock: .It was fun reading all the different comments. I personally dont think there is anything wrong with tying that sort of turban. Similar to all the different styles of turbans their are, this stiched turban is probably the latest fashion around. As for Bhai Harjinder singh ji, I totally agree with Gurpree kaur ji. Took the words right out of my mouth! :bravo: .

Fateh ji.