Can Sikhs tie their beards?

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa 

Vaheguru Ji ki Fateh!

Sangat Ji, I just came across a video on YouTube in which a renowned Sikh Preacher had his beard tied. (will keep his name gupt only)

I was shocked to see that since I have never seen or heard about any of the puratan Chardikala gursikhs who tied their beards. Personally, I would never tie my beard.

If men do that for fashion purposes, then obviously that's wrong. But what if someone ties his beard for any other reasons?

Is it wrong according to Gurmat? I heard about this only once while listening to Bhai Manvir Singh Ji's (UK) lecture.

Any vichar would be really helpful.

Dhanvaad 

Trimandeep Singh 

5 hours ago, Trimandeep Singh said:

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa 

Vaheguru Ji ki Fateh!

Sangat Ji, I just came across a video on YouTube in which a renowned Sikh Preacher had his beard tied. (will keep his name gupt only)

I was shocked to see that since I have never seen or heard about any of the puratan Chardikala gursikhs who tied their beards. Personally, I would never tie my beard.

If men do that for fashion purposes, then obviously that's wrong. But what if someone ties his beard for any other reasons?

Is it wrong according to Gurmat? I heard about this only once while listening to Bhai Manvir Singh Ji's (UK) lecture.

Dhanvaad 

Trimandeep Singh 

I've seen that. It's kinda cool and I get why people do it, buuuuuut...every time you braid you rip out hairs. 

1 hour ago, GurjantGnostic said:

I've seen that. It's kinda cool and I get why people do it, buuuuuut...every time you braid you rip out hairs. 

If the hairs get damaged/removed while tying beard then surely it's a bajjar qurehit just like dyeing/colouring hairs.

Guru sahib bibek budhi bakshan 

Trimandeep Singh 

23 minutes ago, Trimandeep Singh said:

If the hairs get damaged/removed while tying beard then surely it's a bajjar qurehit just like dyeing/colouring hairs.

Guru sahib bibek budhi bakshan 

Trimandeep Singh 

I allowed my Dhari to be put in a single braid one time for five minutes, and when I saw the hairs when I took the braid out, all pulled by the root etc, I knew right then and there that was the last time a braid would be in my Dhari.

I think my Dhari is as long as it is going to get. When I first started growing Kesh out about three years ago, I did an Ardas to Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaja that my beard not be too long, because I was nervous about taking care of it and training, and lo and behold the Master saw to it that my Dhari is exactly short enough to leave my chest open for Munedori lapel grabs in Aikido, but just long and full enough that I have a real Dhari. 

The Kesh on my head is starting to go down my back though..a ways. I need to learn to tie a Joora because the ends get tangled being out from under my head covering. Not feeling worthy enough to represent Saroop that fully, I cover with slouchies. Which I am not recommending for anyone else, it's just how I've been covering my head while I ready for Amrit and conducting myself to a certain standard in order to not direspect Saroop, especially as a Gora. 

8 hours ago, Trimandeep Singh said:

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa 

Vaheguru Ji ki Fateh!

Dhanvaad 

Trimandeep Singh 

IMHO, you should be able to tie your beard for safety reasons, job related reasons, health reasons, etc.

Bhul chuk maaf

1 hour ago, paapiman said:

Dyeing and coloring hair is not a Bajjar Kurehat. It is a Kurehat.

I have probably heard this in Bhai Manvir Singh Ji's lectures. He said that cutting hairs is not the only bajjar qurehit related to Kesh but it is included in the Bajjar qurehit- 'Kesaan Di Beadbi Nahi Karni' (Don't disrespect your hairs)

This includes cutting hairs, dyeing/colouring them, waxing, applying chemical products deliberately like fixers and beard sprays, throwing kes in the dustbin etc.

He has done research on Khalsa Rehat Maryada for nearly a decade now. He has taken help and advice from gianis and Mahapurakhs of various jathebandis too so he's pretty much reliable in my opinion.

Trimandeep Singh 

8 minutes ago, Trimandeep Singh said:

I have probably heard this in Bhai Manvir Singh Ji's lectures. He said that cutting hairs is not the only bajjar qurehit related to Kesh but it is included in the Bajjar qurehit- 'Kesaan Di Beadbi Nahi Karni' (Don't disrespect your hairs)

This includes cutting hairs, dyeing/colouring them, waxing, applying chemical products deliberately like fixers and beard sprays, throwing kes in the dustbin etc.

He has done research on Khalsa Rehat Maryada for nearly a decade now. He has taken help and advice from gianis and Mahapurakhs of various jathebandis too so he's pretty much reliable in my opinion.

Trimandeep Singh 

What does the so-called Panthic Rehat Maryada say about it?

Thanks

Bhul chuk maaf

The Panthic Maryada is incomplete and has been designed in such a way that it doesn't disturb the peace and cooperation between the panthic jathebandis. So it's not much detailed and is silent on rehats mentioned in puratan Rehatnamey.

And I already told you that Bhai Manvir Singh Ji is a very knowledgeable and khoji gursikh so we can trust him. Anyways, I don't have a problem if you consider it a Paap and not a bajjar Paap.

Trimandeep Singh 

23 hours ago, Trimandeep Singh said:

The Panthic Maryada is incomplete and has been designed in such a way that it doesn't disturb the peace and cooperation between the panthic jathebandis. So it's not much detailed and is silent on rehats mentioned in puratan Rehatnamey.

And I already told you that Bhai Manvir Singh Ji is a very knowledgeable and khoji gursikh so we can trust him. Anyways, I don't have a problem if you consider it a Paap and not a bajjar Paap.

Trimandeep Singh 

The idea behind having a Panthic Rehat Maryada is great. It makes sense to have one basic Rehat Maryada, which will apply to all Baptized Sikhs.

But, our so-called Panthic Rehat Maryada needs improvement. There is no doubt about it.

Bhul chuk maaf

On 8/2/2021 at 2:41 PM, Trimandeep Singh said:

We should things simple. Cutting hair is Bajjar Kurehat. We should not be adding new Bajjar Kurehats to the list below.

Four Bajjar Kurehats:

Hukka – Consumption of tobacco in any form.

Hajamat – Cutting hair (by any means) from any part of the body.

Halalo – Consumption of Halal meat in any form.

Haraam – Any form of sexual activity, outside of marriage.

Bhul chuk maaf

9 hours ago, paapiman said:

The idea behind having a Panthic Rehat Maryada is great. It makes sense to have one basic Rehat Maryada, which will apply to all Baptized Sikhs.

But unfortunately there are disputes between jathebandis and it is liable to happen because Gurbani is beyond human intellect and we may interpret things differently...eg: whether to take any hukam or revelation as metaphorical or literal.

I think the current Rehat Maryada is still better. If we come up with a uniform Rehat for all khalsa Panth, then most likely people will reject it with reasons like it (The Rehat Maryada) is biased towards this particular jathebandi.

After all, it's Kalyug. Everything under Guru Sahib's hukam.

Trimandeep Singh 

39 minutes ago, Trimandeep Singh said:

But unfortunately there are disputes between jathebandis and it is liable to happen because Gurbani is beyond human intellect and we may interpret things differently...eg: whether to take any hukam or revelation as metaphorical or literal.

I think the current Rehat Maryada is still better. If we come up with a uniform Rehat for all khalsa Panth, then most likely people will reject it with reasons like it (The Rehat Maryada) is biased towards this particular jathebandi.

After all, it's Kalyug. Everything under Guru Sahib's hukam.

Trimandeep Singh 

It is still not that hard to come up with a Basic Panthic Rehat Maryada. The document can be worded in such a way, so as to accommodate almost all Jathebandis.

For examples,

• Bhog of Sri Akhand Paath can be done at Salok M5 or Sri Raagmala Saab.
  • Kesh or Keski is a Kakkar.
  • 4 H's (the ones mentioned above) apply to all Baptized Sikhs.
  • Don't mention anything about Dhoop, Jot, Coconut, etc. Just say that the place and the atmosphere, where Sri Akhand Paath is being done, should be extremely clean.
  • Bhog or Parvaan word can be used.
  • Bhog may be done for food.
  • Respect of Shastars (Weapons) is important.
  • So on....

Bhul chuk maaf

2 minutes ago, paapiman said:

It is still not that hard to come up with a Basic Panthic Rehat Maryada. The document can be worded in such a way, so as to accommodate almost all Jathebandis.

For examples,

• Bhog of Sri Akhand Paath can be done at Salok M5 or Sri Raagmala Saab.
  • Kesh or Keski is a Kakkar.
  • 4 H's (the ones mentioned above) apply to all Baptized Sikhs.
  • Don't mention anything about Dhoop, Jot, Coconut, etc. Just say that the place and the atmosphere, where Sri Akhand Paath is being done, should be extremely clean.
  • Bhog or Parvaan word can be used.
  • Bhog may be done for food.
  • Respect of Shastars (Weapons) is important.
  • So on....

Bhul chuk maaf

Almost everything you pointed out is mentioned in the Panthic Rehat Maryada except second and fourth point. And there's no mention in it whether bhog can be done to other eatables except Karah Prashad. (This should be cleared)

Trimandeep Singh 

5 minutes ago, Trimandeep Singh said:

Almost everything you pointed out is mentioned in the Panthic Rehat Maryada except second and fourth point. And there's no mention in it whether bhog can be done to other eatables except Karah Prashad. (This should be cleared)

Trimandeep Singh 

They should also remove any references to Sampat Paath. It should be left to the discretion of the Gurudwara or a Jathebandi to do them or not.

Bhul chuk maaf

14 minutes ago, paapiman said:

They should also remove any references to Sampat Paath. It should be left to the discretion of the Gurudwara or a Jathebandi to do them or not.

Bhul chuk maaf

Does it say anything against Sampat Paths?

31 minutes ago, Trimandeep Singh said:

Does it say anything against Sampat Paths?

It states that it is against Gurmat, which is wrong.

Even before Baba Nand Singh jee/Nanaksar made Sampat Paaths popular within the Panth, Gyani Sampradai (Taksaals), Hajuriye Singhs and Nihang Singhs knew about this type of Paath.

Bhul chuk maaf