Punjabi Literature : Descriptive Writing Challenge

Sat Sri Akaal everyone

So I am completely new to Sikhawareness ( page) and only became aware of it due to Dalsingh’s postings, specifically because for years he has been putting links up to my works for years which I only really discovered fairly recently. Then I decided to try and respond to him and naturally I was asked to sign up, so I have.

I am a British born Sikh, whose real name is Rupinderpal Singh Dhillon, and at school Ioved reading fiction, to the point I did an English Literature GCSE and then A level.

I am of the generation that always wondered why there aren’t any positive Sikh Characters in English Literature so I embarked on a journey which started at the V&A exhibition of the 300th anniversary of the Sikh Khalsa and ended up being this unpaar in Punjabi ( meaning no punjabi lessons were ever taken) learnt the Painti Alphabet and then thought now what…and promptly attempted to write in Punjabi to mainly counteract the kind of fiction our parents generation wrote.

Why? Because in it all British born punjabis ( Sikh or otherwise) were portrayed in a negative light and by those who don’t know what it is like growing up with both cultures.

So 20 years later, here I am, an amateur Punjabi Fiction Writer.

So Why am I posting this?

Dalsingh has given me the impression there may well be others out there like me who have been raised here, can read Punjabi, but not relate to the Punjabi of Punjabi Fiction or those locals and experiences and need Literature to read that either reflects their lives and thoughts or touches on fields that traditional Punjabi Literature doesn’t. Such as Science fiction, Spy stories, etc etc.. I can do a post about that later.

The reason I have done this post is a kind of a challenge to those of you who can read Punjabi but maybe would like to write fiction and particularly in an imaginative way as i have heard punjabi students have never been taught to write like that or think like that…

So here is Photo I found on the net and I have written below it in Punjabi, my attempt at writing an imaginative description..Would love to see others who are up to the challenge sharing their attempts..

172102720_Screenshot2021-09-17at17_29_28.png.f479df323c394aad2cfa2438e67ca34e.png

ਉਸ ਦਾ ਮੁਖੜਾ ਦੁੱਪਟੇ ਵਿੱਚੋਂ ਖਿੱਝ ਕੇ ਨਾਪਸੰਦ ਚੁੰਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨਾਲ਼ ਖੱਬੇ ਪਾਸੇ ਝਾਕਿਆ। ਦੁੱਪਟਾ ਕੱਚ ਵਾਲ਼ੇ ਮਣਕਾਵਾਂ ਨਾਲ਼ ਸਜਾਇਆ ਹੋਇਆ ਸੀ। ਕਦੀਮ ਅੱਖਾਂ ਉੱਪਰ ਓਨੇ ਪੁਰਾਣੇ ਭਰਵੱਟੇ ਇਕੱਠੇ ਹੋਏ, ਨਾਲੋਂ ਨਾਲ਼ ਨਾਸਾਂ ਫੈਲ ਗਈਆਂ। ਖੱਬੀ ਨਾਸ ਵਿੱਚ ਕੋਕਾ ਇੱਕ ਚੰਦ ਸੀ, ਜਿਸ ਤੋਂ ਇਲਾਵਾਂ ਖੱਬੇ ਕੰਨ ( ਜੋ ਦੁੱਪਟੇ ਵਿੱਚ ਲੁਕਿਆ ਸੀ) ਤੋਂ ਵਾਲ਼ੀ ਝਾਤੀ ਮਾਰ ਕੇ ਵੀ ਖੱਬੇ ਪਾਸੇ ਹੀ ਦੇਖਦੀ ਸੀ, ਜਿਵੇਂ ਉਸ ਨੇ ਮੂੰਹ ਦੇ ਮਾਲਕਣ ਨੂੰ ਸਹਾਰਾ ਦੇਣਾ ਸੀ ਜਾਂ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਨਾਲ਼ ਹੀ ਜਿਸ ਵੱਲ ਨਿਗ੍ਹਾ ਮਾਰ ਰਹੀ ਸੀ ਵਿਰੋਧ ਕਰਨਾ ਸੀ। ਉਂਝ ਮੁਖ ਇੱਕ ਛੁਹਾਰਾ ਕੀਤਾ ਖਜੂਰ ਵਰਗਾ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਦੇਖਣ ਵਾਲ਼ੇ ਨੂੰ ਜਾਪਦਾ ਸੀ। ਬੁੱਲ੍ਹਾਂ ਇੱਕ ਤੇਵਰ ਵਿੱਚ ਕਸ ਕੇ ਜੁੜੇ ਸਨ, ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਦੇ ਆਲ਼ੇ ਦੁਆਲ਼ੇ ਮਾਸ ਉੱਤੇ ਸੁੱਕੇ ਦਰਾੜਾਂ ਗੰਜੀਬਾਰ ਵਾਂਙ ਝਰੀਟਾਂ ਪ੍ਰਗਟਾ ਦੀਆਂ। ਇੰਝ ਹੀ ਸਾਰੇ ਮੁਖੜੇ ‘ਤੇ ਝਰੀਟਾਂ ਸਨ, ਗੱਲ੍ਹਾਂ ‘ਤੇ, ਨੱਕ ‘ਤੇ ਅਤੇ ਮੱਥੇ ‘ਤੇ। ਹਰ ਝਰੀਟ ਉਸ ਦੀ ਬੀਤੀ ਦੀਆਂ ਕਹਾਣੀਆਂ ਦੱਸ ਰਹੀਆਂ ਸਨ। ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਝਰੀਟਾਂ ਨਾਲ਼ ਤਿੰਨ ਸ਼ਾਹੀਆਂ ਜਿਦ ਕਰ ਰਹੀਆਂ ਸੀ। ਉਂਝ ਇਹ ਪੁਰਾਣਾ ਮੁਖੜਾ ਇੱਕ ਦਮ ਕੁਲਵੰਤ ਜਾਪਦਾ ਸੀ, ਇੱਕ ਦਮ ਗਿਆਤਾ, ਭਾਵੇਂ ਇਲਮ ਵਿੱਚ ਨਹੀਂ, ਪਰ ਜ਼ਰੂਰ ਹੱਡ ਜੱਗ ਬੀਤੀ ਵਿੱਚ। ਅੱਗਲੀ ਪਲ ਵਿੱਚ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਹੋਠਾਂ ਉੱਤੇ ਮੁਸਕਾਨ ਨੱਚ ਸਕਦਾ ਅਤੇ ਕਿਸੇ ਦੀ ਦਾਦੀ ਜਾਂ ਨਾਨੀ ਲੱਗੇਗੀ। ਜਾਂ ਹੋਰ ਰੁਸ ਕੇ ਤਿਹਾਈ ਧਰਤ ਵਰਗਾ ਮੂੰਹ ਦਿਸਣਾ ਹੈ, ਹਰ ਲੀਕ ਇੱਕ ਖੁਣਸੀ ਡਾਟ ਜਿਵੇਂ ਡੈਣ ਦੇ ਨੈਣਾਂ ਵਿੱਚ ਦਿਸਦੀ ਹੋਵੇ। ਜਾਂ ਉਸ ਦੀ ਸ਼ਕਲ ਸਿਰਫ਼ ਇੱਕ ਮਾਯੂਸ ਬੁੱਢੀ ਦੀ ਹੈ। ਰੱਬ ਜਾਣੇ ਸੱਚ ਕੀ ਹੈ।

i'm no expert at all at Punjabi, and there may be errors, but I hope I have at least attempted something that depicts the photo in words. Certainly I will remain a student all my life...Be interesting to you your interpretations