Punjabi Novel Samurai now available online

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 4:25 PM, ਰੂਪ ਢਿੱਲੋਂ said:

Brooo. The price is so low. Everybody buy this book. You sure you should put the price so low Hanji?

Ohh my God. You have fakes selling books on "Sikhism" for eight dollars a piece. 

No other works on here for me to purchase?

I have google dollars to use. Put your collected works up for 40 I'll grab the whole lot. 

Gurjant Ji Looks like you were the only taker. I got told by publisher despite giving it away at the price he set only 1 person in the USA purchased a copy.

His view ( He is a young Sikh man living in India who publishes books to pay for his education and has managed to get entry into Cardiff  University) is that the reality is compared to the rest of India all Punjabis are illiterate in terms of interest in art, literature etc unless it involves religious writing ( regardless of being Sikh, Hindu, Muslim etc) which is why rest of India looks down on Punjabis. Other languages of India's writers writing in their own language can sell up to 10,000 books ( for India a big number) whilst the best of the best in Punjab struggle selling 100 and those are given away for free as no one wants to read Punjabi.

This is sad as it solidifies the image of Punjabi Sikhs being Agrarian farmers and nothing more, especially since according to him the only things Punjabis are interested is Punjabi pop music, bhangra, jokes and punjabi films with nothing more taxing for the brain than watching the same singers speak punjabi mixed up with Hindi and with girl meets boy, or boy goes west and becomes rich plots. It is all very surface level He says he sells only books written in English by the bucket load to Punjabis, who won't read their own language despite shouting that we should all be proud of it. He is strongly advising me to give up Punjabi, accept our own don't speak or read it anymore and make a living from English the true language of the Punjab and India!

In short I am wasting my time. I suppose one thing verifies his experience and view. I am writing this post in English, and most Sikhs will only read it in English

I have also been told those born after the creation of India have bee raised on Hindi films and language and no one born after 1980 cares for it or can speak it. They only care for the Economically powerful language. English.

So sad that no other Punjabi here took an interest..maybe proves he is right..anyhow do give me feedback on it once you have read it

2 hours ago, ਰੂਪ ਢਿੱਲੋਂ said:

Gurjant Ji Looks like you were the only taker. I got told by publisher despite giving it away at the price he set only 1 person in the USA purchased a copy.

His view ( He is a young Sikh man living in India who publishes books to pay for his education and has managed to get entry into Cardiff  University) is that the reality is compared to the rest of India all Punjabis are illiterate in terms of interest in art, literature etc unless it involves religious writing ( regardless of being Sikh, Hindu, Muslim etc) which is why rest of India looks down on Punjabis. Other languages of India's writers writing in their own language can sell up to 10,000 books ( for India a big number) whilst the best of the best in Punjab struggle selling 100 and those are given away for free as no one wants to read Punjabi.

This is sad as it solidifies the image of Punjabi Sikhs being Agrarian farmers and nothing more, especially since according to him the only things Punjabis are interested is Punjabi pop music, bhangra, jokes and punjabi films with nothing more taxing for the brain than watching the same singers speak punjabi mixed up with Hindi and with girl meets boy, or boy goes west and becomes rich plots. It is all very surface level He says he sells only books written in English by the bucket load to Punjabis, who won't read their own language despite shouting that we should all be proud of it. He is strongly advising me to give up Punjabi, accept our own don't speak or read it anymore and make a living from English the true language of the Punjab and India!

In short I am wasting my time. I suppose one thing verifies his experience and view. I am writing this post in English, and most Sikhs will only read it in English

I have also been told those born after the creation of India have bee raised on Hindi films and language and no one born after 1980 cares for it or can speak it. They only care for the Economically powerful language. English.

So sad that no other Punjabi here took an interest..maybe proves he is right..anyhow do give me feedback on it once you have read it

Are you familiar with perfume marketing?  Most things have intersecting curves of units sold and price. Most things, when you charge less, you sell more units, and so where those two intersect is your max profit. 

However...the less you charge for perfume, the less of it you sell, because nobody associates value with cheap perfume. You take the same perfume and double the price, you double the sales. 

If you are selling no units at the low price, see if he'll jack it up to five, ten plus dollars and see if you don't sell more and if you don't...oh well. If you sell one it's like selling fifteen now and if you don't sell any it's not much different from now. 

There is a reason you wrote these wonderful stories. Many artists are not appreciated in their time. 

Maybe you should also write in english, but again in Punjabi in the future. 

2 hours ago, GurjantGnostic said:

Are you familiar with perfume marketing?  Most things have intersecting curves of units sold and price. Most things, when you charge less, you sell more units, and so where those two intersect is your max profit. 

However...the less you charge for perfume, the less of it you sell, because nobody associates value with cheap perfume. You take the same perfume and double the price, you double the sales. 

If you are selling no units at the low price, see if he'll jack it up to five, ten plus dollars and see if you don't sell more and if you don't...oh well. If you sell one it's like selling fifteen now and if you don't sell any it's not much different from now. 

There is a reason you wrote these wonderful stories. Many artists are not appreciated in their time. 

Maybe you should also write in english, but again in Punjabi in the future. 

I'm glad someone thinks what I write is wonderful..Its not the price that concerns me, that's the publishers decision and choice..it's the other things he says about English VS Punjabi etc..sad if it is all true...but that is his observation sitting in India amongst the new gen of punjabis there

Yeah, I am writinng because,,kee kahi sakda,,Janoon hai..and yeah I rather have 100 readers that get what I am doing, even after my death, then 10,000 who can't comprehend it...