Enjoyment

SinghMunda

Are we as Sikhs supposed to refrain entirely from any sort of enjoyment whatsoever, because it's maya? What I mean is that each time we feel "good" when it's not related to paath/Waheguru, is that gonna go into our negative accounts when we die? I mean, are we supposed to have no enjoyment whatsoever, no matter what we achieve, like say a goal in football, or good exam results? Family enjoyment?

If you are chardhi kala, does that mean you have no emotions whatsoever, apart from enjoyment of the Lord?

Are we as Sikhs supposed to refrain entirely from any sort of enjoyment whatsoever, because it's maya? What I mean is that each time we feel "good" when it's not related to paath/Waheguru, is that gonna go into our negative accounts when we die? I mean, are we supposed to have no enjoyment whatsoever, no matter what we achieve, like say a goal in football, or good exam results? Family enjoyment?

If you are chardhi kala, does that mean you have no emotions whatsoever, apart from enjoyment of the Lord?

Arrey bhai.. Sab kero... Maze kero..live the life to the fullest... bas.. rembeber.. don't hurt anybody... don't do bad to anybody..

Guest Javanmard

well there are two ways of looking at things

1. YOu think that everything is Maya or illusion and you have to detach yourself from the world and abandon all kinds of pleasure. This is the Buddhist and Advaita Vedanta view

or

2, You view the world as a mainfestation of the divine who hides itslef beneath the veil of that manifestation. The universe is then real. In that context Maya is not so much illusion but rather the inability to see the Divine beyong its manifestation. But if one follows the teachings of Maharaj then one realises that the Universe is not so much a place to be abandoned but a set of infinite doors to discover the Beloved One.

There is this story of Sant Udasi Baba Shri Ramakishna Paramahamsa who was once asked by a woman who had difficulties in doing simran to help her. She said she was unable to concentrate. He asked her: Who do you love most in this world? She said: My little daughter! He replied: See her as God, serve her and love and do simran whilst doing that.

The woman soon experienced brahmgian.

It's not the world that is he ennemy but our inability to perceive the Divine in it.

Guest Javanmard

It's a brilliant story, But the most brilliant thing is that Shri Ramakrishna, the master of Swami Vivekananda, was an Udasi. The Bengalis had too much of a problem admitting that one of their great figures had been initiated into a "Panjabi" Panth. That's why they've hidden that fact although some Bengali scholars have shown the evidence. Ramakrishna's master was Udasi Baba Totapuri who had a large following aroung the Ludhiana area.

Don't get into too much attachment and forget God and that's the message of sikhism. So, in that case sikhism allows enjoyment. Sikh should follow balanced life. Sikh should follow family life. Sikh is not monk. Sikh is not yogi. Sikh is person who lives in society and do simran and attach himself to God but still don't ignore his creation.

Remember Vahiguru in pleasure too, not just pain.When you eat that nice choclate cake, say thanks to Vahiguru for the chocolate cake.When you enjoy anything, say thanks to your Creator for giving you this pleasure.

I don't mean to be rude, but if you are married or getting married, remember Vahiguru when you are, you know - doing it, with your marriage partner.You will have good jivatma come to your house then.

Vahiguru will send you good jivatma, if you thank Vahiguru for any plaesure. :wink:

When you are married ofcourse :wink:

Guest Javanmard

Loving Akal Purakh in a line is:

I don't want to be honey, I want to enjoy honey

I know I am one with Akal Purakh but yet I want to retain a bit of light haumai to enjoy Akal Purakh. Haumai is the origin of our suffering but it can also be a bringer of bliss

well there are two ways of looking at things

1. YOu think that everything is Maya or illusion and you have to detach yourself from the world and abandon all kinds of pleasure. This is the Buddhist and Advaita Vedanta view

or

2, You view the world as a mainfestation of the divine who hides itslef beneath the veil of that manifestation. The universe is then real. In that context Maya is not so much illusion but rather the inability to see the Divine beyong its manifestation. But if one follows the teachings of Maharaj then one realises that the Universe is not so much a place to be abandoned but a set of infinite doors to discover the Beloved One.

There is this story of Sant Udasi Baba Shri Ramakishna Paramahamsa who was once asked by a woman who had difficulties in doing simran to help her. She said she was unable to concentrate. He asked her: Who do you love most in this world? She said: My little daughter! He replied: See her as God, serve her and love and do simran whilst doing that.

The woman soon experienced brahmgian.

It's not the world that is he ennemy but our inability to perceive the Divine in it.

Brilliant!!! Maza aa gaya padh ke..