War Footage

HSD

22 hours ago, dalsingh101 said:

'To be fair, I don't think I would be much help shooting': British man, 37, who volunteered to join Ukraine's 'foreign legion' of fighters is rejected as a 'liability' by Kyiv after admitting he has no military experience

• Leon Dawson visited the Ukraine embassy in London to volunteer to fight
  • He was told he would be a 'liability' and there are no resources to train him
  • The gym-owner has now travelled to the Polish border to help refugees 

A British gym-owner who volunteered to fight for Ukraine despite having no military experience has been turned down because he would be a 'liability'.

Leon Dawson, 37, visited the Ukrainian embassy in London last week offering his services for the foreign legion in the war against Vladimir Putin's invading forces.   

But Ukrainian officials turned down the Surrey businessman, who has never held a gun before, saying he would be a hindrance.

He was told: 'We don't have the resources to train you, we don't have the time to train you either.' 

Dawson has now travelled to the Polish border with Ukraine with his friend Kai Portlock to help refugees and says he would still be willing to take up arms if necessary and die for the cause.

Leon Dawson (pictured), who volunteered to join the Ukrainian army despite having no military experience, was turned down because he would be a 'liability'

Leon Dawson (pictured), who volunteered to join the Ukrainian army despite having no military experience, was turned down because he would be a 'liability'

The 37-year-old visited the Ukrainian embassy in London last week offering his services in the fight against Vladimir Putin's forces

The 37-year-old visited the Ukrainian embassy in London last week offering his services in the fight against Vladimir Putin's forces

Dawson is now travelling to the Polish border town of Medyka in a van full of food, medical supplies and children's toys, and he still hopes to enter Ukraine (pictured in Poland)

Dawson is now travelling to the Polish border town of Medyka in a van full of food, medical supplies and children's toys, and he still hopes to enter Ukraine (pictured in Poland)

He told Sky News:  'I'm not a stupid person. I understand war is way more than just people shooting.

'To be fair, I don't think I would be much help shooting. I haven't used a gun before, I don't know the language, I don't know the tactics. I would be better put to work doing something else.' 

Dawson was interviewed when he visited the London embassy on February 28 to volunteer.

He said at the time: 'We've come to join the Ukrainian army, or whatever they're called, the foreign legion.

'We're young, strong, fit men, we can help so why not.'

When asked if he had any military expertise, he replied: 'Absolutely none.' 

The embassy provided him with contact details to join the foreign legion, but his mission was aborted when he was later told: 'You'll be more of a liability than a help.'

He was one of several volunteers wanting to take on Putin despite warnings they could be prosecuted on their return to Britain.

Dawson is now travelling to the Polish border town of Medyka in a van full of food, medical supplies and children's toys, and he still hopes to enter Ukraine. 

He said his family are scared for his safety but he had to take action after hearing stories of women and children being killed.

His friend Portlock said he wanted to help after a volunteer friend said orphans as young as three were arriving in refugee centres.

He said: 'I was just willing to do whatever. We're happy to help. It's being realistic with what we can do, without being idiots.'

Ukraine set up an 'international' legion after Volodymy Zelensky appealed for foreigners to come and fight against Russia. 

But the Foreign Office has said: 'If you travel to Ukraine to fight, or to assist others engaged in the conflict, your activities may amount to offences against UK legislation and you could be prosecuted on your return to the UK.'

The British Army has also banned any personnel from travelling to Ukraine.

According to the Foreign Enlistment Act of 1870, Britons are banned from fighting in a war with a country that the UK is 'at peace' with. 

Another man who visited the embassy intending to fight in Ukraine was Brian Grove, a 60-year-old former Territorial Army (TA) member from Kent. 

He told Sky News reporters he had 'decided to do something' to help under siege Ukrainians. 

'I used to be in the TA, I've also got a lot of first aid training so I've decided to come and do something,' he said.

Asked if he's prepared to fight, Mr Grove replies: 'Yes, I can get on a flight tomorrow.' 

But after sending off his details by email, he said he has not received a response.  

It comes as four British soldiers including a teenager paid to protect the Queen are feared to have gone AWOL after booking a one-way ticket to Ukraine.

A 19-year-old member of the Coldstream Guards regiment, reportedly dropped his ceremonial duties as one of the prestigious Queen’s Guards in Windsor and signed up for Ukraine’s International Legion of foreign volunteer fighters.

The shock development has sparked panic at the Ministry of Defence, with security chiefs racing to intercept the teenager in case Russia tries to claim that Britain has entered the war if active army soldiers are found fighting on the frontlines.

The soldier reportedly wrote to his parents before booking a one-way ticket to Poland over the weekend with an intention to then cross the border into Ukraine. He has since posted a photo of his boots on Snapchat, according to The Sun. 

When Putin launched his brutal war to ‘demilitarise’ and ‘de-Nazify’ Ukraine, he warned foreign powers tempted to intervene that they would ‘face consequences greater than any you have faced in history’. Days later, the Russian despot put the Kremlin’s nuclear deterrent forces on ‘alert’, in a dramatic escalation of international tensions that sparked fear across the West.

And in a chilling threat at the weekend, Moscow vowed to punish London for its support for Kyiv, ominously warning: ‘Russia will not forget Britain's desire to co-operate with ultra-nationalist forces in Ukraine and the supply of British weapons to the Kiev regime’.

Ex-Army chiefs slammed the AWOL soldiers as ‘totally irresponsible’, and warned they could be jailed if they return to Britain. 

Until now, only former military personnel from the UK are thought to have signed up for Ukraine’s volunteer army, and serving members of Britain’s armed forces have been banned from joining the war effort.

More than 20,000 people from 52 countries have already volunteered to repel the Russian invaders in Ukraine, where they will serve in a newly created international legion, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said over the weekend. 

Foreign Secretary Liz Truss appeared to encourage Britons saying she would 'absolutely support' those who wished to sign up to fight as part of the Ukrainian armed forces.

But lawyers then warned Britons could be prosecuted under UK terror laws - much like those who took arms for Kurdish militia forces against ISIS in Syria.

Boris Johnson also waded into the debate, warning members of the so-called 'Lads Army' that they could be breaking British law by going over to Ukraine to fight.

Defence secretary Ben Wallace also urged them not to travel, saying it is 'very dangerous' and they could get killed. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10594037/Briton-volunteered-fight-Ukraine-turned-liability.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed_article_desktop_news

@dalsingh101 you're much more street-smart than me. What do you think Leon's agenda was? 

On 3/10/2022 at 2:09 PM, sarabatam said:

More BULLSHIT this time from royals:

What, the spiders in the very middle of the international wasp web. And that too for centuries.....

On 3/10/2022 at 3:28 PM, Premi said:

A lot of them know that, I think. Or they pretend they don't know

I don't even know. These people have a enormous capacity to delude themselves with alternate realities. 

On 3/10/2022 at 3:30 PM, Premi said:

@dalsingh101 you're much more street-smart than me. What do you think Leon's agenda was? 

I think it may have simply been machismo and attention seeking? "I'm a big lad!" "I'm tough!" "I can fight in this war!" "Look at me!"

On 2/28/2022 at 11:29 PM, dalsingh101 said:

Burning crosses have a long provenance in the US......

That was a medieval thing the KKK appropriated to try and make themselves seem tough. 

The Azov lot are trying to portray themselves as the frontline defenders of western civilisation so they copy what classical civilisations did even though they have no connection to them. The Azov nazis even copied the Roman salute and mixed it with the Hitler one.