SHOULD WE TIE OUR BEARD?

honey81online

should we tie our beard?  

24 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

well...i've got a response that may not be too popuular...but:

so hair is hair... if we shave our arms, it's bad... if we leave our kesh uncovered.. it's bad... but if we leave our daari flowing and long and out and uncovered, and seemingly ungroomed...it's GOOD??

i was thinkin about this a few nights ago...

people always say that our daari should be long and flowing...increases spiritual someting something.... so what if i leave my kesh on my head flowing... then i get the eveil eye looks...now i've committed a sin or something.i'm confused... what's the difference/? and if there is none, then therereally ios no harm in tieing our daari....

On sikhnet preetmohan singh ahluwalia have written his response to similar question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"He (Creator) does not need to eat; His Hair is Wondrous and Beautiful; He is free of hate."(SGGS: p.98) "They pluck the hair out of their heads, and drink in filthy water; they beg endlessly and eat the garbage which others have thrown away." (SGGS: p.149) "Those humble beings, with whom the beautifully-haired Lord is thoroughly pleased, sing the Glorious Praises of the Lord." (SGGS:p.203) ":with my hair, I dust the feet of the Guru." (SGGS:p.387) "Your nose is so graceful, and Your hair is so long." (SGGS:p.567)

Obviously this was written before the tenth Guru.

The fact most people forget is that hair has been highly respected in almost all traditions, specially by religious men. The thing about God's Will is basically living life fearlessly and in harmony with Nature. People talk about cutting nails and asking why can't we cut our hair. This has been discussed before.

http://sikhnet.com/sikhnet/discussion.nsf/...800070ce4e?Open

It was not Guru Gobind Singh but his predecessors who thought hair should be kept the natural way. You might ask what has fearlessness got to do with it. Everything. Let me explain.

A Sikh has to be Khalsa because only when he is Khalsa does he reach the pinaccle of Sikhism. Unless you are Khalsa you are never a true Sikh. A khalsa is commited to the Creator only. He/she is beyond the dictates of society for the job of the khalsa is to safeguard a godly society by working towards such an existence. This is the key. The khalsa has reached such a pure existence that it can fearlessly live in a Natural form without being influenced by desires of any sort. They are at peace with themselves and their environment. How many people truly feel this way? Hardly anybody because our actions and thoughts are controlled by our desire and our fear of the environment we live in. It is not easy to overcome this fear and a Khalsa is the one who has succeeded in overcoming it.

The desire to cut hair; the desire to conform; etc., is ineffective to the khalsa for the khalsa's desire is to live a life commited to the service of the Creator, that in Sikhism, requires a life dedicated to the service of mankind. This is what it means by God's Will not that God commanded anyone to keep unshorn hair or die in hell.

People who keep hair are not khalsas. They just fulfill one requirement. As most people who keep unshorn hair will understand that keeping hair has already helped them win the battle to conform to societal pressures that are meaningless. This is one battle they have won. For those who could not win the battle, cutting hair was an easy way out. The effect of pressure on them became so unbearable that they cowed in and became a part of the crowd. Khalsa on the other hand, stands out as a "face in the crowd." The very look of these people makes us realize what we don't possess - insurmountable confidence.

Daddy Why Do You Shave

http://sikhnet.com/sikhnet/discussion.nsf/...6200637aa0?Open

Regards

Waheguru Satnam

well i would leave it flowing because by tying up your beard you are effectively hiding it. any hiding your beard is a temporary version of cutting it, really. just my opinion.

Your Brother

Honey

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning: honey81online, this is your first warning and you have two more chances before you get banned from this site. We welcome even RSS, anti sikhs and people confused about sikhs as far as they have gutts to discuss sikhism with broad mind. We won't let you play dramas by starting topics and then adding someone else's response so it can turn into bashing game. Better watch for next time or leave the site if you just here to waste our time.

Guest Javanmard

1. By tying it you don't hide it: it's still visible

2. by keeping it flowing you give everyone an opportunity to grab it on the battlefield or a fight which is tupid really

3. Why not have plats like Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Carribean

looks cool and sexy :wink:

i think the question is phrased wrong.... maybe not SHOULD we.... but CAN we...or IS IT OKAY TO....

Should makes it sound like there should be religious significance to it.

anyways, i was wondering about what you said honey81online... didn't you say on the sikhsangat.com site that you cut your hair?? so then are you truly in a position to state about dhari cutting and such?

i think the question is phrased wrong.... maybe not SHOULD we.... but CAN we...or IS IT OKAY TO....

Should makes it sound like there should be religious significance to it.

anyways, i was wondering about what you said honey81online... didn't you say on the sikhsangat.com site that you cut your hair?? so then are you truly in a position to state about dhari cutting and such?

I don't think thats his own opinion but he copied it from the discussion links I have provided. Check below response on sikhnet.

http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/discussion....99?OpenDocument

Waheguru Satnam

Who give me this warning :evil: What do u think Sikhi is ur property no one has right to give his opinion.

For ur kind information yea i like this but i read it from a site which is given to me by truth singh

see this :-http://www.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/discussion.nsf/SearchView/88514ED93128D18F87256C280068FE99?OpenDocument

u ppl r feared of RSS. I am in amritsar if u ppl want to meet me u can meet me any time. if u don't want me on ur site. Then i never come to this site again.

:evil: But i want to know the name of the person who give me this Warning. :evil:

HONEY SINGH

Waheguru Satnam

jsb:- anyways, i was wondering about what you said honey81online... didn't you say on the sikhsangat.com site that you cut your hair?? so then are you truly in a position to state about dhari cutting and such?

Sardar/Sardarni jsb

First of all i am pure sikh :evil: If u ppl don't like me on ur site i am going to leave this site.

Waheguru Satnam

Good Bye (Satshriakal)

Your Brother

Honey

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I voted "yes" because while I don't think a Singh should tie his beard all the time, I think it should be a personal choice that is up to the particular Singh.

Some Singhs have extremely long beards. I know one gentleman that mentioned to me once that he "folds his beard" because it goes to his waist...and mentioned that his father has a beard that goes to his knees.

I know another gentleman that has a waist-length beard that is not only long, it is extremely uneven. He also ties it and sets it to maintain a "neater" (his words) appearance.

I personally like the way a Singh looks with a flowing beard...but I can also understand that different Singhs have different beards, and if tying a beard keeps a Singh from cutting it, I like the idea

Guest Javanmard

Well, tie or don't tie, doesn't matter as long as you don't cut it. SIkh soldiers or Ranjit SIngh's times had to tie them because of the guns they were using. Their beards were burning when the guns were fired. The French officers of Maharaja Ranjit SIngh then suggested they sould put a net around their beards! hence the net some people use. :wink: