Brits To Erect Statue Of Jinnah

HSD

On 2/16/2022 at 4:54 PM, paapiman said:

What the hell were they (Brits) expecting? Sikhs (and Hindus) to not retaliate after riots in West Punjab and elsewhere against us?

Bhul chuk maaf

11 hours ago, HSD said:

It goes back further than 1947. They supported the sulleh in the 30s when they tried to ban jhatka - most likely to prevent Sikhs from carrying on their insurrection that started in 1919. The start point is the late 1840s when the sulleh came out in support of the british occupation of Punjab. In some parts of Pakistan they derogatively refer to Punjabi muslims as ‘black british’. 

Where did you find out about this ? @HSD

And @paapiman , Statues are not generally a good idea, they can easily be targeted and don't mean much 

5 hours ago, HSD said:

Which part?!

There were plenty of communal riots in the 1930s by Muslims aimed at stopping Sikhs from carrying out jhatka. Kartar Singh Jhabbar was the one who pointed out that if Muslims were allowed to commit halal, Sikhs should be allowed to do jhatka. The brits were encouraging the Muslims to do this as they wanted to  split Punjab along communal lines and knew that the sulleh would happily take the role of controlled opposition. 

In the 1840s the brits had political agents who lurked around in Punjab at the beginning of the 2nd Anglo-Sikh War. They recruited sulleh to fight against the Sikh Empire, in a similar way to how Lawrence of Arabia did in the Middle East. You can find letters from EIC directors to prominent sulleh referring to their common brotherhood as both are ‘people of the book’.

As for the ‘black British’ it’s commonly said by Baloch and Sindhi people when they find out I’m not sympathetic to some people just because of a supposed racial link. 

Which book(s) ?

1 hour ago, dalsingh101 said:

I got that book ages ago but could read it further when he slandered Shaheed Godar Singh. Probably felt he could do that because he came from a Mazhbhi background and showed more balls than most of the others.  

If it’s like first book, I won’t be reading it

3 hours ago, paapiman said:

Why is that bro?

Bhul chuk maaf

It goes into deep details about events which some are quite minor, rather than an overview of the events and it is written from quite a military perspective.

It's good if you like small details, but not a great 'starting point' and unless you really like fine details related to military, it is difficult to read after a few chapters.

I think @dalsingh101 probably will disagree and enjoyed it

17 minutes ago, Premi said:

It goes into deep details about events which some are quite minor, rather than an overview of the events and it is written from quite a military perspective.

It's good if you like small details, but not a great 'starting point' and unless you really like fine details related to military, it is difficult to read after a few chapters.

I valued it for it's wide sources and contemporary quotes, which we can then chase up. I think it gives good details, as does the second volume. It was just the portrayal of Khalsa veteran Godar Singh as a 'drug-sodden fellow' (or words to that effect) that put me off finishing the one on the second anglo-Sikh war. This is presumably to demonise this guy because he was from a Mazhbhi background and had the balls to chopped off the head of the two goray sent by the wasps to rule over Singhs. I think even sending these two twats was a calculated move by the wasps to antagonise and trigger proud Sikh veterans. 

Godar Singh was later hanged for this, but unrepentant till the very end. A shaheed for Sikh sovereignty.

I briefly reviewed the first book 11 odd years ago thus:

I was a tad reluctant to get this book at first, fearing that it wouldn't contribute to what I had already read about the first Sikh conflict with the Anglos (and their supporting subordinates). Having read it, I'm glad that I did. This is plainly the best book published on the subject to date. Amarpal does a wonderful job in narrating the individual battles that made up the conflict, weaving in insightful contemporary/near contemporary accounts from eye witnesses. Although I paid less attention to the second part of the book (covering what I would describe as battlefield details), it is still good to know that this information is available. If you are going to buy a book on the subject - get this one. Historically, the events it covers are monumental in terms of the impact they have had on the Sikh community, especially in relation to its subsequently lost sovereignty. Something that continues to affect them to this day. Recommended reading for any Sikh interested in their history.  

@paapiman (some details of Godar Singh above as requested).

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 6:25 PM, Premi said:

You’re probably better off starting with these:  

https://ospreypublishing.com/the-sikh-army-1799-1849-pb

https://ospreypublishing.com/the-first-anglo-sikh-war-1845-46

The simpler stuff is usually pro-british so you’ll have to read them with a hardened mindset. Eventually you will have to read the more complicated stuff. 

On 3/3/2022 at 6:41 PM, dalsingh101 said:

I valued it for it's wide sources and contemporary quotes, which we can then chase up. I think it gives good details, as does the second volume. It was just the portrayal of Khalsa veteran Godar Singh as a 'drug-sodden fellow' (or words to that effect) that put me off finishing the one on the second anglo-Sikh war. This is presumably to demonise this guy because he was from a Mazhbhi background and had the balls to chopped off the head of the two goray sent by the wasps to rule over Singhs. I think even sending these two twats was a calculated move by the wasps to antagonise and trigger proud Sikh veterans. 

Godar Singh was later hanged for this, but unrepentant till the very end. A shaheed for Sikh sovereignty.

I briefly reviewed the first book 11 odd years ago thus:

@paapiman (some details of Godar Singh above as requested).

I don’t think that’s the author’s view but instead a british description. It’s not surprising that the author included it as the publisher is british and that’s how a lot of the books they print tend to be. He also devotes very few pages to the civilian suffering in Multan due to the brishit and the atrocities they committed.

I don’t think Godar Singh was hanged either, I heard he escaped in a breakout towards the end of the siege. The british never captured him, so that would explain why they were so derogatory to him. 

• 2 months later...
Her Majesty The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Week Of Celebrations Begin in Pakistan

Islamabad: Her Majesty The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Week Of Celebrations began in Pakistan.

Her Majesty The Queen’s Birthday and Platinum Jubilee celebrations kicked off at the British High Commission in Islamabad tonight (Wednesday). It is the first in a series of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee week which will also see birthday events in Karachi and Lahore. Pakistan’s legendary classic singer Rahat Fateh Ali Khan is also expected to enthrall the audience.

Elaborate measures were taken by the British High Commissioner to Pakistan to mark the celebrations. The British High Commissioner Dr. Christian Turner hosted a reception in Islamabad tonight which was attended by the Prime Minister of Pakistan Shehbaz Sharif as chief guest along with other senior ministers, foreign dignitaries, and celebrities. The British High Commissioner delivered a speech and threw light on Her Majesty’s life dedicated to service.

It is worth mentioning that events across the world have been marking Her Majesty’s Platinum Jubilee and her 70 years of service to the people of the UK, the Realms, and the Commonwealth. It is also the year marking 75 years of Pakistan and the UK’s bilateral relationship. As part of the Platinum Jubilee on the weekend of June 4-5, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in collaboration with the British High Commission lit a beacon to celebrate the occasion at the same time as it was done in the Commonwealth capitals.

Preparations have been finalized to lit up the Pakistan Monument in Islamabad up tonight (Wednesday) in purple, the color of the Platinum Jubilee celebrations.

The event also underlines Pakistan and the UK’s 75-year partnership – at the heart of which are people-to-people links, a 1.6 million Pakistani diaspora in the UK, 500,000 approximate annual visits in both directions, and around 100,000 British nationals based in Pakistan. Prime Minister Boris Johnson last month spoke to Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on the phone and welcomed the United Kingdom and Pakistan’s strong partnership over the past 75 years. They agreed to strengthen those ties further and boost trade and investment.

Speaking at the occasion, the British High Commissioner to Pakistan Dr. Christian Turner CMG said Her Majesty The Queen’s 70 years of servant leadership show a remarkable record of integrity, hard work, and selflessness that are needed more than ever today.

“Her Majesty The Queen’s 70 years of servant leadership show a remarkable record of integrity, hard work, and selflessness that are needed more than ever today. We are honored to celebrate her Birthday, her Platinum Jubilee, and also 75 years of deep UK-Pakistan relations,” stated the British High Commission at the event.

Speaking to the ‘Islamabad Telegraph’ His Excellency Syed Shaheen Chishty, a prominent personality from South Asia, paid rich tribute to the Queen.

” Queen a symbol of unity across the world and a fine person in her own rights. She has dedicated all her life and the last 70 years to public service for all the countries.
In my humble view, she is an appropriate candidate for a Nobel Peace Prize. A true English Queen who dealt with good and bad with a sense of maturity and never slipped her lines.
An outstanding achievement of self-dedication to our others over her own self and a scarifies made for humanity from a very young age. My salute to the Queen who is in essence everyone’s Queen. Long live the Queen Elizabeth of U.K,” Mr. Chishty said.

” In the U.K. we are celebrating Queen’s Jubilee celebrations. Wow, she has been the Queen since 1952 till today. Tireless working for all without ever complaining. 70 years is a long time. My Queen, your Queen, and our Queen Long live the British Queen Elizabeth. It is iconic as the sun is slowly setting on her time as she is nearly 96 years old but long way to catch her mother who died at 105. So God bless the Queen and we look forward to many more years of her,” Syed Shaheen Chishti added.

https://islamabadtelegraph.com/2022/06/08/her-majesty-the-queens-platinum-jubilee-week-of-celebrations-begins-in-pakistan/

• 2 months later...