Aad Chand and Shivji Maharaj

Narsingha

Guest chamkila

well look up in Dr. Harbans Singh's Encyclopaedia of Sikhism in four volumes and check. You'll be surprised how "anti-SIkh" the site is. :wink:

Don't believe things just because someone puts it up on a website!

Check for yourself! :wink:

Do you think that I really belive what it says on the Internet, I would never trust any information from the Internet. Where did I say that I belive in stuff on the internet ?

How can I belive people you talk rubbish all the time, like I asked Narsingha for Baba Sant Singh information he said he will be able to get it, but has he NO.

So please don't give me advice that as no use.

• 11 months later...

Ok coming back to the orginal topic. !

Here are two different variations of interpertations I heard about Aad Chand.

First one is by Nihang Gurmant Singh:

Aad Chand is representation of Half Moon..thus, calmness. The reason Nihangs wear it because wherever Khalsa walks he spread calmness. Thats why it was blessed by Guru Maharaj.

Know if this interpertation of aad chand is true then how come does this interpertation relates with shiv ji maharaj. Thats right shiv ji also had aad chand but that didnt mean he was in control of Moon?? Was he?? I m sorry i m bit confuse to understand this concept. Within nihangs there are so many different interpertations of their way of life.

Ok second interperation is by Singh who has three Nirmala ustads/gurdevs:

He said Aaad Chand....the shape and form of Aad Chand is similiar to shastar that Nihangs use so he said its derived from there rather than Shivji Maharaj.

help :? :cry: :cry:

in essence,

a nihang singh threw the weapon so high that the moon got darshan of akal purakh and it came back down with alot of force...and a jatha of wahabi nihang singhs came who are now called takshali's, and as a reverence to the moon, they wear dark clothes and have fantasies about riding on rafts in the middle of the night and doing kirtan.....

...those wahabi sgpc's deras need a samparda tapovani smagam in akhand raagi jatha style with with ruggra made from the maple leaf!!!!!

Singh47, I mean this in the nicest possible way but...

'tis better to be a fool and remain quiet than to speak out and remove all doubt' oscar wilde I think

If you don't understand something, or have the wrong end of the stick, then try to listen first.

I presume your post was reactionary (lalleshvari wrote it, therefore I disagree), yet our very own panthic scholars as printed by the SGPC such as Dr. Sher Singh in his text 'Philosophy of Sikhism' written in the 1940s doubts the merits of such a term as 'Hinduism' for it is a meaningless term beyond referring to a people of a geo-cultural location, and hence is therefore no 'ism'.

Yes, as I said, when you don't understand, try to find out.

Perhaps you could point to one line from the above mentioned sources where the term 'Hinduism' is used? The term 'hindu' is used, and in relation to objects and symbols of a religious nature such as shaastra, ved, simriti. But where is this 'Hinduism' you talk of Singh47?

Furthermore in Suraj Prakash there is reference to Guru Gobind Singh referring to 'Turk' and 'Pathaan' in the same line (I'll find the quote tomorrow). How can this be that there are Muslims (turks) and Pathaans (who were muslims)?

And the phrase 'turk' is often used alongside 'hindu' in Gurbani. So if you apply these to each other you come to the conclusion that 'hindu' and 'turk' are geo-culturally specific terms, and by implication signify both muslims and the conglomeration of traditions existent within the sub-continent that were termed 'hindu' because of a common set of shared principles and concepts.

Hopefully that has cleared your understanding a little. Perhaps lalleshwari would add more, drawing on Richard King's work also.

The reason for this is that if we are to talk more seriously about Sikhi within a sociological milleau in pre-colonial times, and since this is a serious forum, we must understand a situation in which such constructed terminology did not exist at the time of our Gurus. The reality is and was a lot more complex.

So your comment of 'what the heck are you talking about?' is just a testimony to your ignorance and reactionary asumption rather than a valid coherent and informed standpoint with which to discuss the nature of the religious and social diversity within India at the time of the Gurus.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sardar Moderator Singh

I was present at the Tuesday Sanatan Sikhs lecture, when the topic of the Nihang Sing Bana with respect to Shiv Saroop and Islamic implications was presented.

Despite the hype and the despite the controversy that surrounds these events, I would personally recommend that all attend the remaining sessions regardless of your views on the topic.

There are Q&A sessions available for raising such issues and challenging any of the presented points and Nihang Niddar Singh is also available for discussion after the talk for an extended dialogue.

It would be interesting and more useful for the general Sikh populace looking to understand more about Sikhi in its puratan format and its implications on us today if these events were not simply attended by the UK Nihangs and some 'neutral' parties, but if those who oppose the ideology of the Sanatanists could actually attend and be vocal with their arguments and points for all to hear.

In my experience thus far, not all answers are given owing to time contraints (however the presenters are available afterwards for extended discussion) and hence are not 'academically' always complete, nonetheless, the opportunity to actually go through various points is far better in person than through internet forums and more so than the bickering we all witness in the individual cliques.

For me personally, it has so far been interesting to observe both the questions and answers provided during these talks as a means of (a) understanding the issues and (B) understanding the 'mat' of the both those asking and those answering.

Hope to see you all soon,

SMS

It would be interesting and more useful for the general Sikh populace looking to understand more about Sikhi in its puratan format and its implications on us today if these events were not simply attended by the UK Nihangs and some 'neutral' parties, but if those who oppose the ideology of the Sanatanists could actually attend and be vocal with their arguments and points for all to hear.

moderator can you clarify: Who are the Sanatanists ?? Never heard of them before ? Are they knew ? Who, How and When did they start ?

Thanks in advance - ironlion

Guest Sardar Moderator Singh

Dear ironlion,

The Sanatan Sikhs are being discussed below:-

http://www.sikhawareness.com/sikhawareness...opic.php?t=5757

As per the actual term "Sanatan Sikhs", this was coined during the Singh Sabha period by those following Baba Khem Singh Bedi and Avtar Singh Vahiria, so is not a new concept as such.

Look forward to seeing you on the aforementioned 101 discussion.

• 3 weeks later...