Full Form/meanings of common words.......

Jaswant

Yesterday My nice (age 9) come to me & speak to me a very common but strange thing which was learnt by her in her school premises that We speak a lot of words in our daily life and few of them are very common.

She said but U KNOW, CHACHU MOST OF US DON'T KNOW THE MEANING OR FULL FORM OF THOSE WORDS. I think she was kidding but gone wondered when she tell me a few ones.

So that is why i M going to start a discussion in which i hope U all will contribute such type of common words, their origin & full form of such words.

I M taking the initiative to have 2 common words & their meanings:

1. TIE(neck-tie) - To Impress Everybody

2. HELLO

H How R U

E Everything all right ?

L Like to hear from U

L Love to See U soon !

O Obiviosly, I Miss U

These aren't the meanings or origin, full form , and etc. of these words..

This is just something we as humans have created through the evolution of that word.

Tie isn't always about impressing someone. Is it?

Hello is right to a certain extent but it isn't the origin and full form and etc.

Individuals have basically taken these words as acronyms and made up Phrases/Words to go along with them.

Hello Miss desi,

Might be u 're right to extent but u must have to provide logical aspects to prove UR viewpoint. I hope u'll do it for heaven sake. Anyway i M not here to critisize U, but demands UR contribution to full. I hope might be in UR language 'those aren't the meanings or origin, full form , and etc. of these words.. ', but have a sniff to compare it with words true sense.

But i M sure that my dear respected fellow TIE is nothing but part of a formal dress code, part of Personality development programme & in westren culture it is a part of professional life. I hope u know that is in eastren regions only a 0.086 % of working professional who use TIE as their daily dress code. So now compare My Gudia's(Nice) definition or URz acronyms with my full form.

I hope u dont mind if something not liked by U. & Will definetly contribute to the discussion.

Thanx & Hope with ...

JOY(ce)

I am really surprized to find out that all the memberz in this Forum are STUPID... :twisted: ehem hey dont get annoyed. :oops: I am tou just prasing you all... What I meant was:

All Memberz are quite :

S Smart

T Talented

U Unique

P Person

I In

D Demand

As I said earlier, its something we individuals have created through evolution of time..

Hello does not mean the following:

H How R U

E Everything all right ?

L Like to hear from U

L Love to See U soon !

O Obiviosly, I Miss U

How are you is ok to certain extent as well is everything all right..

Well if your are face to face talking with an individual "like to hear from you" ..well you are already hearing from them.

Same with love to see you soon- In our daily lives we say hello to every enemy friend and etc. , we don't want to see everyone do we..Plus if it is face to face, your seeing them right there..

I miss you part ..again another exaggeration. Isn't always true for all circumstances..

Hello is just a greeting similiar to good night, good afternoon, good morning..-Its a way we start a conversation formally.

TIE ...As I said, some businesses/places/schools require a tie as dress code..So how is it you are impressing someone.. Its more of self-actualization.

S Smart

T Talented

U Unique

P Person

I In

D Demand

How can you be stupid and smart on the same hand. The words/phrases you correspond with the full word have to have some sort of relation..You can just take a word and add phrases/words to make it sense..

RSVP =Rondey Sarey Viah Picho..

Again one of those words that is evolved..Originally means Respond Soon Via Phone/Postal ...So what does it got with crying after a wedding? ..So you see the words have evolved through times.. Although, Rondey Sarey Viah Picho is berry berry true!! :P:P

S Smart

T Talented

U Unique

P Person

I In

D Demand

How can you be stupid and smart on the same hand. The words/phrases you correspond with the full word have to have some sort of relation..You can just take a word and add phrases/words to make it sense..

Take it Ezee. Dependz on how you take thingz in life...

I think, what has happened in this situation is, what kids do best, make up their own funny meanings for words.

RSVP = Ron sare Viah pichoo :LOL:

No Dear Ladla & Miss Desi it is

'Respondez S'il Vous Plait'

which means we (all the list after RSVP word) expects UR reply or UR holy & precious presence on the occasion.

This term has its origin from French language.

so RSVP with JOY(ce)

Well if your are face to face talking with an individual "like to hear from you" ..well you are already hearing from them.

Same with love to see you soon- In our daily lives we say hello to every enemy friend and etc. , we don't want to see everyone do we..Plus if it is face to face, your seeing them right there..

I miss you part ..again another exaggeration. Isn't always true for all circumstances..

Hello is just a greeting similiar to good night, good afternoon, good morning..-Its a way we start a conversation formally.

TIE ...As I said, some businesses/places/schools require a tie as dress code..So how is it you are impressing someone.. Its more of self-actualization.

Hey Miss Desi Check it out it is always required to have constent conversation to achive some meaning full result. It is not the end of conversation if u wish someone. for example in armies there r 2 code Over & out & i think u well aware bout difference of both so like to hear from u means now its UR turn to talk after me.

2nd Love to C U soon is for both no matter for a friend or a rival/enemy.

3rd if U cant miss U somebody U cant say Hello to that particuler guy or gal. I dont think U say HELLO to all 'RAH JANDE NU KHA-M-KHA style' or U do so. I dont.

I fully appriciate with UR urge with that Hello is a wayout to wish.

And talking upto the TIE , we all learned a lot of thinks from school self-discipline & knot of TIE is just 2 from them. We learnt it from school coz seniors know that we need it in future & that is why we have it in our (professional) life & not in personal life(where required).

One more think I dont want to be the part of controversy. I have my views with all U. If u have some better history or meaning of the word i 'll obiviosly expect to hear from U.

Please dont mind if something pinchs U.

so, search it with JOY(ce)

How can you possibly not understand that Hello does not mean what ever you are saying

Hello is just a word we use in our everyday lives...

And that acronym has been created ...by an individual like us..

It does not mean that its Hello's definition

Hello is just a greeting same as Good Night, Good Day, Good Evening, Hey, Sup, and etc.

History of Hello?? Do you really think there is history to every word in the English language..

History belongs to those words that have changed/evolved through out time..

Ex:

The word Gay

In 1950s

It meant happy

Later on..and (Now)

It was a term for homosexuals

and NOW

In pop culture, its used to describe something different, weird, awkard

Ex: That car is gay, That color looks so gay on you, You are so gay, and etc..

Not everyword in the english language has a history...(As far as I know)

In addition, hello has always meant the same..

Second of all, I know RSVP is a french word in origin, but it does not mean the expect your "holy and precious presence on the occasion"

I said, it meant Reply soon via phone/postal...and you said OR UR reply...and wots the difference???..LOL, lack of reading is what I say..

For you information, here is a whole load on RSVP:

R.S.V.P. stands for a French phrase, "répondez, s'il vous plaît," which means "please reply." The person sending the invitation would like you to tell him or her whether you accept or decline the invitation. That is, will you be coming to the event or not? Etiquette rules followed in most Western cultures require that if you receive a formal, written invitation, you should reply promptly, perhaps that same day. For hosts who are planning a dinner party, a wedding or a reception, this is important from a practical point of view, because they need to know how many people to count on and how much food and drink to buy. More important, though, is the simple courtesy of responding to someone who was nice enough to invite you, even if it is to say that you regret that you will not be able to attend.

Many wedding invitations come with a response card that you can mail back right away. Other written invitations will carry the host's telephone number so you can call with your reply, although under strict etiquette rules, a written invitation requires a written reply. Nowadays, invitations often carry a "regrets only" notation at the end. That means that the host will count on your being there unless you tell him or her otherwise. Some people even use "R.S.V.P." as a verb, as in "Have you R.S.V.P.ed to that invitation?"

You might wonder why we use the initials of a French phrase in an invitation that is written in English. You could say that the French "invented" etiquette, although that would be a simplification because there have always been rules of courtesy to follow in civilization. In fact, an Italian diplomat, Conte Baldassare Castiglione, wrote the first book about proper behavior among nobility in the 16th century. Many of the practices of Western etiquette, however, came from the French court of King Louis XIV in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. At Versailles, his palace, Louis XIV had the rules for court behavior written on what the French referred to as "tickets," or "étiquette." The tickets either were signs posted at Versailles or were the invitations issued to court events with the rules of behavior printed on the back; experts give different versions of the origin. And French was the language of refinement and high society through the 19th century in the United States. Judith Martin, the author of etiquette books and a syndicated newspaper columnist known as "Miss Manners," thinks that "R.S.V.P." came about as a polite way of reminding people of something that they should already know: If you receive an invitation, you should reply.

AND TELL ME IF THIS DIDN'T EXPLAIN OR CONVEY THE SAME THING I SAID ..KI IT MEANS REPLY SOON VIA POSTAL/PHONE/ (PERSON)

and the next question you ask is: There is always a name not a phone number.

That is because YOU LIVE IN INDIA!

Indian invitations mention names of individuals because the following:

India does not have a good postal service..So, why even bother??

Not everyone in India has a phone at home..So, you can't respond via phone..

The only other way to do it India is

Talk in person, therefore they list names of people...

In India, I don't know what they think RSVP is or whatever forth...

They list like 100 Rishtedaars ...anywhere from Fuffards to Chacha's Taya to Fuffard's Masard and etc..

LOL!

Hope this answers your questions..

How can you possibly not understand that Hello does not mean what ever you are saying

Hello is just a word we use in our everyday lives...

And that acronym has been created ...by an individual like us..

It does not mean that its Hello's definition

Hello is just a greeting same as Good Night, Good Day, Good Evening, Hey, Sup, and etc.

History of Hello?? Do you really think there is history to every word in the English language..

History belongs to those words that have changed/evolved through out time..

Ex:

The word Gay

In 1950s

It meant happy

Later on..and (Now)

It was a term for homosexuals

and NOW

In pop culture, its used to describe something different, weird, awkard

Ex: That car is gay, That color looks so gay on you, You are so gay, and etc..

Not everyword in the english language has a history...(As far as I know)

In addition, hello has always meant the same..

Second of all, I know RSVP is a french word in origin, but it does not mean the expect your "holy and precious presence on the occasion"

I said, it meant Reply soon via phone/postal...and you said OR UR reply...and wots the difference???..LOL, lack of reading is what I say..

For you information, here is a whole load on RSVP:

R.S.V.P. stands for a French phrase, "répondez, s'il vous plaît," which means "please reply." The person sending the invitation would like you to tell him or her whether you accept or decline the invitation. That is, will you be coming to the event or not? Etiquette rules followed in most Western cultures require that if you receive a formal, written invitation, you should reply promptly, perhaps that same day. For hosts who are planning a dinner party, a wedding or a reception, this is important from a practical point of view, because they need to know how many people to count on and how much food and drink to buy. More important, though, is the simple courtesy of responding to someone who was nice enough to invite you, even if it is to say that you regret that you will not be able to attend.

Many wedding invitations come with a response card that you can mail back right away. Other written invitations will carry the host's telephone number so you can call with your reply, although under strict etiquette rules, a written invitation requires a written reply. Nowadays, invitations often carry a "regrets only" notation at the end. That means that the host will count on your being there unless you tell him or her otherwise. Some people even use "R.S.V.P." as a verb, as in "Have you R.S.V.P.ed to that invitation?"

You might wonder why we use the initials of a French phrase in an invitation that is written in English. You could say that the French "invented" etiquette, although that would be a simplification because there have always been rules of courtesy to follow in civilization. In fact, an Italian diplomat, Conte Baldassare Castiglione, wrote the first book about proper behavior among nobility in the 16th century. Many of the practices of Western etiquette, however, came from the French court of King Louis XIV in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. At Versailles, his palace, Louis XIV had the rules for court behavior written on what the French referred to as "tickets," or "étiquette." The tickets either were signs posted at Versailles or were the invitations issued to court events with the rules of behavior printed on the back; experts give different versions of the origin. And French was the language of refinement and high society through the 19th century in the United States. Judith Martin, the author of etiquette books and a syndicated newspaper columnist known as "Miss Manners," thinks that "R.S.V.P." came about as a polite way of reminding people of something that they should already know: If you receive an invitation, you should reply.

AND TELL ME IF THIS DIDN'T EXPLAIN OR CONVEY THE SAME THING I SAID ..KI IT MEANS REPLY SOON VIA POSTAL/PHONE/ (PERSON)

and the next question you ask is: There is always a name not a phone number.

That is because YOU LIVE IN INDIA!

Indian invitations mention names of individuals because the following:

India does not have a good postal service..So, why even bother??

Not everyone in India has a phone at home..So, you can't respond via phone..

The only other way to do it India is

Talk in person, therefore they list names of people...

In India, I don't know what they think RSVP is or whatever forth...

They list like 100 Rishtedaars ...anywhere from Fuffards to Chacha's Taya to Fuffard's Masard and etc..

LOL!

Hope this answers your questions..

Hey dont mind i m a funny guy, but it applouds from UR views that UR a real desi. How did u belive that there is no histoty of any (word) or something else. There is nothing in this galaxy which evolve & hasn't its own hostory. If U & me dont know bout that it does not mean it hasn't any background. Did U think one day early morning all the earth's creatures or said human beings awake from their sleeps & said to each other HELLO . How funny it is, isnt it think & respond. No my dear fellow lady it does not happen like this. Open UR imagination & be flexible.

Regarding bout RSVP read my views again & u'll got what i written over there. RSVP means response expected it dosn't mean vie mail/phone or by person. It has a broader meaning now after Oxford's new dictionary. G o in the book store & ask for a newer version of the book. Be updated.

& talking bout as u said 'been rules of courtesy' , there is nothing like rules in courtesy there R norms respected fellow.

I M not a fan of any language or culture coz every one has its own sphare & features exclusive in its own, like UR for French.

And lastly talking bout the mailing system of INDIA. This is only INDIA who is tackling the population of 106 Crores & running its infrastucture for them. & For UR kind INFO this is the INDIA where more then 57 MILLION people r connected to eSATTELITE services including Cell & email facilities.

Go for some better statics if u does have for any other country. I M waiting a few more facts which relize u the true success of UR devolped couries U called what ever they R . I ask U to think bout they development without such following invetion which give India to the whole planet:

India invented the Number system. Aryabhatta invented ‘zero.’

According to the Forbes magazine, Sanskrit is the most suitable language for computer software.

Although western media portray modern images of India as poverty striken and underdeveloped through political corruption, India was once the richest empire on earth.

The art of navigation was born in the river Sindh 5000 years ago. The very word “Navigation” is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH

& U said HELLO hasnt its own history..

The value of pi was first calculated by Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is now known as the Pythagorean Theorem. British scholars have last year (1999) officially published that Budhayan’s works dates to the 6th Century, which is long before the European mathematicians.

Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came from India. Quadratic equations were by Sridharacharya in the 11th Century; the largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Indians used numbers as big as 1053.

USA based IEEE has proved what has been a century-old suspicion amongst academics that the pioneer of wireless communication was Professor Jagdeesh Bose and not Marconi.

Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600 years ago he and health scientists of his time conducted surgeries like cesareans, cataract, fractures and urinary stones. Usage of anaesthesia was well known in ancient India.

Who is the creator of Pentium chip (needs no introduction as 90% of the today’s computers run on it)?

Vinod Dahm

Who is the founder and creator of Hotmail (Hotmail is world’s No.1 web based email program)?

Sabeer Bhatia

K BABA LIST IF UNLIMITED I CANT PUBLISH OVER HERE . ask me personally if u want to view the whole list, coz this discussion is not for such controversies.

So be flexible & appriciate others if u dont have any ideas. I hope u'll in future.

with JOY(ce)

If you support that there is a history to every word..

Please ..find me the history to the words "the" "an" "a"

And we will see how far that goes...

Hey dont mind i m a funny guy, but it applouds from UR views that UR a real desi.

LOL, Leave me a DeSi!..

Did U think one day early morning all the earth's creatures or said human beings awake from their sleeps & said to each other HELLO .

Hello is a word ..that someone came up with...and then over period it became a part of everyday life...Few examples include: FOB, ABCD ....They really don't have history to them..other then being vice-versa..and we now desis use 'em in our lives...

Perhaps...you might wanta read this "childish" book...called Frindle By: Andrew Clements...Although it is fiction, but you'll get the idea of how words just "appear" sort of.

RSVP means response expected it dosn't mean vie mail/phone or by person.

LOL What other way is there to respond..You've got your mail , your phone, and in person..and of course these days Email..but not everyone has it !!..

And lastly talking bout the mailing system of INDIA. This is only INDIA who is tackling the population of 106 Crores & running its infrastucture for them. & For UR kind INFO this is the INDIA where more then 57 MILLION people r connected to eSATTELITE services including Cell & email facilities.

LOL, If you mail a parcel from abroad..with some high tech machine/device in there...and tell me what are the chances of it reaching the receipent .....and then tell me how likely is it for the postman to take it..

You mail those cards with the tune shyt in them..LOL Where do they go?? ..Back with the postman...

Did I ever say India didn't contribute anything to the world??

LOL You gave me facts and stuff...that tell nothing about the mailing system...?? Whats your point??

So stop twisting my words..and let me know the history of the above words ...again " the" "an" "a"

Ok??