Chicopee (Massachusetts) rescinds controversial Sikh proclamation

GOI again...

https://www.masslive.com/news/2022/06/chicopee-rescinds-controversial-sikh-proclamation-that-raised-ire-of-indias-consul-general.html

Chicopee rescinds controversial Sikh proclamation that raised ire of India’s consul general

Published: Jun. 12, 2022, 8:34 p.m.
facebook
twitter

CHICOPEE — Mayor John L. Vieau has rescinded a proclamation that unintentionally angered a local group of business leaders of Indian heritage and sparked a visit from the consul general of India.

In a letter on Friday to A.J. Vitjayakrishnan, officer of community affairs for the Indian consul general in New York, Vieau rescinded the April 29 proclamation that recognized the Sikh community but drew ire by supporting the historic fight for an independent nation for the Sikhs in the Punjab region.

“Please know that my administration and the City of Chicopee have no interest in diplomacy, as foreign affairs are handled in Washington,” Vieau said in his letter. “I promise that there were no ill intentions toward the nation of India and those of Indian heritage who call this country home.”

This was the second year the city raised the Sikh flag to recognize the community. It was not the flag itself that created the controversy, but the proclamation which was given to the city to read.

The proclamation is the same one that was read at similar Sikh flag raisings this spring, including those held by the Connecticut General Assembly and in Holyoke, so Chicopee officials were not concerned about it, said Michael Pise, chief of staff for Vieau.

But the proclamation has created controversy. India’s consul general has asked the Connecticut General Assembly to rescind the document and there is an online petition also asking for it to be annulled.

“It was our understanding that it was a proclamation adopted by other communities and I personally apologize on behalf of my staff and I, for not vetting the contents thoroughly,” Vieau said in the letter........

“Our city is welcoming of all religions and peoples ad we appreciate the dedication of these groups,” Vieau said. “It was our understanding that the people practicing Sikhism fought against injustice and valued freedom of speech and expression which are values we hold in the community.

2 hours ago, Premi said:

GOI again...

https://www.masslive.com/news/2022/06/chicopee-rescinds-controversial-sikh-proclamation-that-raised-ire-of-indias-consul-general.html

Chicopee rescinds controversial Sikh proclamation that raised ire of India’s consul general

Published: Jun. 12, 2022, 8:34 p.m.
facebook
twitter

CHICOPEE — Mayor John L. Vieau has rescinded a proclamation that unintentionally angered a local group of business leaders of Indian heritage and sparked a visit from the consul general of India.

In a letter on Friday to A.J. Vitjayakrishnan, officer of community affairs for the Indian consul general in New York, Vieau rescinded the April 29 proclamation that recognized the Sikh community but drew ire by supporting the historic fight for an independent nation for the Sikhs in the Punjab region.

“Please know that my administration and the City of Chicopee have no interest in diplomacy, as foreign affairs are handled in Washington,” Vieau said in his letter. “I promise that there were no ill intentions toward the nation of India and those of Indian heritage who call this country home.”

This was the second year the city raised the Sikh flag to recognize the community. It was not the flag itself that created the controversy, but the proclamation which was given to the city to read.

The proclamation is the same one that was read at similar Sikh flag raisings this spring, including those held by the Connecticut General Assembly and in Holyoke, so Chicopee officials were not concerned about it, said Michael Pise, chief of staff for Vieau.

But the proclamation has created controversy. India’s consul general has asked the Connecticut General Assembly to rescind the document and there is an online petition also asking for it to be annulled.

“It was our understanding that it was a proclamation adopted by other communities and I personally apologize on behalf of my staff and I, for not vetting the contents thoroughly,” Vieau said in the letter........

“Our city is welcoming of all religions and peoples ad we appreciate the dedication of these groups,” Vieau said. “It was our understanding that the people practicing Sikhism fought against injustice and valued freedom of speech and expression which are values we hold in the community.

There is a method to this madness. 

Why should anyone care?