ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਵੱਧ ਦਿਲ ਤੋੜਨ ਵਾਲੀ ਗੱਲ ਹੈ ਕੇ ਯੂ. ਕੇ ਚ 700,000 ਤੋਂ ਵੱਧ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਲੋਕ ਹਨ ਪਰ ਸਿਰਫ਼ 112 ਬੱਚੇ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਪੜ੍ਹ ਰਹੇ !

22 hours ago, ਰੂਪ ਢਿੱਲੋਂ said:

ਇਸ ਦਾ ਇਹ ਹੀ ਕਾਰਣ / ਇਸ ਦੀ ਵੱਜਾ ਇਹੀ ਹੀ ਹੋ ਸਕਦਾ/ ਸਕਦੀ ਕਿ ਸਚਾਈ ਵਿੱਚ ਜਿੰਨਾ ਮਰਜ਼ੀ ਲੋਕਾਂ'ਚ ਸ਼ੋਰ ਮਾਰ ਦੇ ਹਾਂ ਕਿ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਬੋਲੋ, ਪੜ੍ਹੋ ਤੇ ਲਿਖੋਂ, ਦਿਲ ਤੋਂ ਕੋਈ ਆਪਣੇ ਵਿਰਸਾ ਨੂੰ ਪਿਆਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦਾ

They love materialism much more. 

1 hour ago, Premi said:

What happened to make the numbers high in 2009?

am surprised so few A Levels taken despite Sikh schools being numerous now. I would have thought they make it compulsory and even take them 1-2 years or more earlier than 17-18

Yeah I don't know I wondered that. I also don't get it, If there are 700,000 Indian Punjabis ( Forget Lendha punjab for these purposes as they sit urdu) and 423K claim to speak Punjabi at home there should be thousands taking GCSE and hundreds taking A level and yes your point of the Punjabi schools makes it a mystery?

Maybe people lie that they speak Punjabi at home with kids?

10 minutes ago, ਰੂਪ ਢਿੱਲੋਂ said:

sadly that may just be it

Also, their 'engaging' with Panjabi 'culture' is more likely to be in the form of listening to someone like Moosewala or Diljeet Dosanj than reading.    

On 8/18/2022 at 4:31 PM, ਰੂਪ ਢਿੱਲੋਂ said:
 ਸੋ ਹੈਰਾਨੀ ਵਾਲੀ ਗੱਲ ਹੈ ਕਿ ਯੂ.ਕੇ ਦੇ ਵਿੱਚ 700,000 ਦੇ ਖਰੀਬ ਭਾਰਤੀ / ਚੜ੍ਹਦੇ ਪੰਜਾਬ ਵੱਲੋਂ ਵਾਸੀ ਨੇ ਪਰ ਜ਼ਿਆਦਾ ਜਣੇ ਹੁਣ ਬਾਹਰਵਾਸੀ ਹੀ ਪੈਦਾ ਹੋਏ ਨੇ ਕਿਉਂਕਿ ਇਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਵਿੱਚੋਂ ਕੇਵਲ 273,000 ਕਹਿੰਦੇ ਅਸੀਂ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਬੋਲ਼ ਸਕਦੇ ਨੇ। ਠੀਕ, ਪਰ ਫੇਰ ਸਭ ਤੋਂ ਸ਼ਰਮਨਾਕ ਗੱਲ ਹੈ ਕਿ 273,000 ( 7 ਲੱਖ ਦਾ 40 ਪ੍ਰਤਿਸ਼ਤ ਅੰਕ) ਵਿੱਚੋਂ 112 ( ਜੇ ਆਪਾਂ ਫ਼ਰਜ਼ ਕਰੀਏ ਕਿ ਤੀਜਾ ਹਿੱਸਾ) ਸ਼ਾਇਦ 90,000 ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਬੋਲ਼ਣ ਵਾਲੇ ਬੱਚਿਆਂ 'ਚੋਂ ਹੀ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਏ ਲੇਵਲ ਕਰਨ ਤਿਆਰ ਸਨ! 112 ਤਾਂ 273 ਹਜ਼ਾਰ 'ਚੋਂ ਸਿਰਫ਼ 0.04 ਫ਼ੀਸ ਹੈ!
ਇਸ ਦਾ ਇਹ ਹੀ ਕਾਰਣ / ਇਸ ਦੀ ਵੱਜਾ ਇਹੀ ਹੀ ਹੋ ਸਕਦਾ/ ਸਕਦੀ ਕਿ ਸਚਾਈ ਵਿੱਚ ਜਿੰਨਾ ਮਰਜ਼ੀ ਲੋਕਾਂ'ਚ ਸ਼ੋਰ ਮਾਰ ਦੇ ਹਾਂ ਕਿ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਬੋਲੋ, ਪੜ੍ਹੋ ਤੇ ਲਿਖੋਂ, ਦਿਲ ਤੋਂ ਕੋਈ ਆਪਣੇ ਵਿਰਸਾ ਨੂੰ ਪਿਆਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਕਰਦਾ ਅਤੇ ਤਿਆਰ ਹੈ ਇਕੱਲੇ ਯੂ.ਕੇ ਵਿੱਚ ਮੇਜ਼ਬਾਨ ਨਾਲ਼ ਇੱਕ ਕਰਨਾ ( ਜਿਹੜੀ ਚੰਗੀ ਗੱਲ ਹੈ) ਪਰ ਆਪਣੀ ਮਾਂ-ਬੋਲ਼ੀ ਉਜਾੜਣ ਨੂੰ। ਜੋ ਕੁੱਝ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਨੂੰ ਇੱਕ ਦੂਜੇ ਤੋਂ ਵਾਂਝਾ ਕਰ ਦਾ ( ਧਰਮ ਮਜ਼੍ਹਬ, ਜਾਤਪਾਤ) ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਕਾਇਮ ਰੱਖਣ ਤਿਆਰ ਹਨ। ਵਾਵਾ ਬਾਰਹਲੇ ਪੰਜਾਬੀਓੰ, ਚੰਗੀ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ ਆਪਣੇ ਪੈਰਾਂ ਵਿੱਚ ਕੁਹਾੜੀ ਮਾਰਨ ਤਿਆਰ ਹਨ! ਕੱਲ੍ਹ ਤੁਰ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਕਨਾ। ਜੋ ਬਾਹਰਵਾਰਸ ਨੇ ਕਰਨਾ ਹੀ ਹੈ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਤਾਂ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਖ਼ੁਦ ਹੀ ਤੇਜ ਕਰ ਦਿੱਤਾ!
ਪੱਕੀ ਗੱਲ ਹੈ ਤੁਸੀਂ ਬੱਚਿਆ ਨਾਲ਼ ਸਿਰਫ਼ ਇੰਗਲਿਸ਼ ਬੋਲ਼ ਰਹੇ ਨੇ ਅਤੇ ਜ਼ਬਰਦਾਸਤੀ ਉਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਨੂੰ ਘਰ 'ਚ ਪੜ੍ਹਣਾ ਲਿਖਣਾ ਨਹੀਂ ਸਿੱਖਾ ਰਹੇ! ਮਤਲਬ ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਵਿੱਚ! ਬੋਲ਼ ਕੇ ਕੁਝ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੋਣਾ। ਜਿਹੜੀ ਕੌਮ ਜ਼ੁਬਾਨ ਕਿਤਾਬਾਂ'ਚ ਨਹੀਂ ਪਰ ਦੀ ਉਸ ਦੀ ਜ਼ੁਬਾਨ ਕੱਲ੍ਹੋਂ ਮਰਦੀ। ਇਹ ਜੰਮਾ ਨਾ ਕਿ ਗੁਰਦਵਾਰਾ ਦਾ ਹੈ , ਨਾ ਕੇ ਸਕੂਲਾਂ ਦਾ। ਸਿਰਫ਼ ਮਾਂ-ਪਿਓ ਦਾ!

Capture.JPG

Look at the Urdu intake compared to other   Indian languages 

8F042C7E-4A90-4844-A785-7053BB327887.jpeg

Urdu number is still quite low 

The Polish clearly value their language/culture.

The Turkish number surprises me. The Cypriot Turks/Turks in Britain are not known for being academic, plus they have been over for many generations and are relatively integrated with the whites 

• 5 months later...
On 8/19/2022 at 6:26 PM, ਰੂਪ ਢਿੱਲੋਂ said:

Look at the Urdu intake compared to other   Indian languages 

8F042C7E-4A90-4844-A785-7053BB327887.jpeg

On 8/19/2022 at 7:54 PM, Premi said:

Urdu number is still quite low 

The Polish clearly value their language/culture.

Over 20 years ago, when I was doing my dissertation on using tech to teach Panjabi I learnt that is was actually a Polish-Canadian academic (a women in Canada if I recall rightly, can't remember her name?), that first highlighted the cognitive benefits of bilingualism. Prior to then, it was seen as a hindrance to children learning the tongue of the country the parents had immigrated too, by this they talked about the children being confused and scoring low on language aptitude tests, so it was discouraged by teachers. This might then help explain (at least in part) why Polish people are keen to have their children learn both (as well as cultural pride reasons), if they were privy to such research. 

We also have the idea of 'cultural capital', and some of the other european languages like French and Italian are considered to be attractively exotic to the white middle and upper classes, who see them as sophisticated.     

^^^ Actually I think this might be her?

Ellen Bialystok

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellen_Bialystok

1 hour ago, ਰੂਪ ਢਿੱਲੋਂ said:

Sadly true

That being said I think it's very important to acknowledge and recognise exactly what (if anything) does propel anyone to start to explore and develop their Gurmukhi Panjabi language skills. And I'd say by far, the most potent and powerful engine of this can be easily identified as Sikhi or Sikh culture.

As time goes on and we are more and more realising how a determined and conscious effort was made after 'annexation' to disconnect and destroy the average Panjabi's language skills - it doesn't surprise me that hordes of apnay are in some state of intellectual deficit. We are just only now (as in literally the last decade or so) grasping the systemic destruction of indigenous Panjabi literary culture by the british. I wonder if once this becomes more commonly known, what reaction this may cause in the wider panth. Even more modern, and sophisticated explorations of Dasam Granth point at a strong indigenous emphasis on using and developing literary narratives, so we have home grown antecedents in this very area. 

Also, when it comes to modern literature, aesthetics, style etc. are paramount. I mean even Dickens had top draw illustrators to punctuate his works with striking images, and that was all the way back then.   

Learn about the original illustrations for Dickens' works

The Illustrations

George Macy's illustrated editions of Charles Dickens's Christmas classic

David Copperfield by Charles Dickens - illustration to chapter 8 by  H.K.Browne. Caption: 'I make myself known to my aunt' Stock Photo - Alamy

File:Works of Charles Dickens (1897) Vol 1 - Illustration 1.png - Wikimedia  Commons

George Cruikshank Illustrations of Charles Dickens