Urgent Response needed!!!!

I am amritdhari and have been volunteering for the UNIted Way. One of the things we do is sell Bingo Tickets!!! We sell them amd some people win money from them and some don't. Is this considered gambling????? Should I not be doing this? I have sold some already, but as per the maryada we are not allowed to gamble, so I need advice ASAP. PLease respond if you are knowledgable about the rehat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Steel Bangle and Mr Singh;

Could I use your same excuse for being an amritdhari pimp and crack dealer, that as long as I don't actually use either, then I'm as kosha as falafel?

NO!

Cause the purpose is Good!

being a PIMP OR A CRACK DEALER doesn't have any Good purposes do they ?

Now if you say that the Pimp and the Crack Dealer are also collecting money for a good reason then i still say that they are not acceptable b'coz

Crack does "nooksaan" to a person..

lottery doesn't ...!

a Pimp ....well i dont know how to compare that with a lottery seller,

OR MAY'BE I DO!

lottery isn't a GREAT SIN in Sikhism.

while Sex outside /before marraige is a GREAT SIn infact it is one of the Kurehits...!

WHile lottery isn't rally a BIG BIG SIN..or as BIG AS the Pimp thingy

but once again the lottery thing is for a good purpose thus i believe Guru ji knows everything and Forgives!

I hope this helps :?

//BHulla CHukka Maaf

NO!

Cause the purpose is Good!

being a PIMP OR A CRACK DEALER doesn't have any Good purposes do they ?

Now if you say that the Pimp and the Crack Dealer are also collecting money for a good reason then i still say that they are not acceptable b'coz

Crack does "nooksaan" to a person..

lottery doesn't ...!

a Pimp ....well i dont know how to compare that with a lottery seller,

OR MAY'BE I DO!

lottery isn't a GREAT SIN in Sikhism.

while Sex outside /before marraige is a GREAT SIn infact it is one of the Kurehits...!

WHile lottery isn't rally a BIG BIG SIN..or as BIG AS the Pimp thingy

but once again the lottery thing is for a good purpose thus i believe Guru ji knows everything and Forgives!

I hope this helps :?

//BHulla CHukka Maaf

Certainly, I am with jtsingh on this one...a sin is a sin ..whether big or small....

lottery doesn't ...!

LOL, how can you possibly say that lottery doesn't do no harm to individuals?? :oops::oops::oops::LOL::LOL: :? :? :? :? :?

LOL, here is hold 'schpeel' on ...gambling and its gudzz:P

The lottery is “a predatory tax and a ticket to crime and corruption.†[from “Six Attorneys General Join in Bid to Stop Legalized Gambling,†The Boston Globe, Nov 23, 1993]

Columnist William Safire calls gambling “inherently immoral, corrupting public officials, enriching criminals, addicting and impoverishing the young and the vulnerable.â€

The Lottery and the Poor

The lottery cannot succeed without compulsive gamblers and without the poor and the poorly-educated. To be profitable, states must engage in heavy and misleading lottery advertising. Five to ten percent of lottery players account for half of all lottery purchases.

One low-income Massachusetts community with many on welfare found that its residents spent nearly 8% of their incomes on lottery tickets. A store owner said, “When the social security and welfare checks arrive, local residents line up outside the store and down the sidewalk hoping to parlay their meager subsistence into instant wealth.â€

In Florida, business owners tell of people defaulting on payments because of the lottery. One businessman stated that every time he repossessed a mobile home, the floor was littered with lottery tickets. Another said, “we found bucketsful of lottery tickets in each repossessed car.†(Money Matters, 9/15/92)

“For the poor, the lottery is not ‘harmless entertainment,’†says Dr. J. Emmett Henderson. “It is a desperate but vain attempt to survive. But the odds of winning are so cruel that the lottery turns out to be theft by consent.†Dr. Henderson is head of the Georgia Council on Moral and Civic Concerns.

Father Thomas O’Gorman, serving a poor black congregation on Chicago’s West Side, out of curiosity, asked his parishioners to save their losing lottery tickets for a week and bring them in to the services next week. The next Sunday he collected nearly $5,000 in losing ticket stubs. (“The Big Gamble,†Chicago Reader, 5/15/92)

The Georgia lottery sells $250 of tickets per person in poor neighborhoods compared to less that $100 per capita in affluent areas. Meanwhile, Georgia families receiving HOPE scholarships have an average income $13,000 higher than the state average. No matter how proponents attempt to dress it up, the government-sponsored lottery continues its shameless exploitation of the poor.

The Lottery and Crime

Crimes like burglary, larceny, and auto theft increase an average of 3% with the adoption of a state lottery. Sixty percent of heavy gamblers admit to some sort of criminal activity within the past year. [from An Oklahoma State Lottery: Seducing the Less Fortunate?]

There is no question that a lot of the revenue the state receives through the lottery is stolen money [John Steele of the Maryland Treatment Program for Gamblers]

Forty percent of white collar crime has roots in gambling. [from Legalized Gambling as a Strategy for Economic Development]

Gambling increases domestic violence. A Maryland study found that rates of domestic violence and child abuse skyrocket when legalized gambling is introduced into a community. Suicide, and financial ruin were also associated with the introduction of legalized gambling.

Anyhow, I'd never imagine United Way selling lottery tickets...Perhaps just volunteer at a different time and different event...Because its better to be safe now, then be full of guilt and be sorry later...

By the way, Very good point -jtsingh..Kudos to you!

Sat Sri Akal:

It is obvious that selling tickets for gambling is bothering you. So Don't. Do other service, volunteer in other ways. I am sure the organization will not care.

Good to hear people doing service in their communities. A true Sikh tradition. Keep it up Samosa Singh Sahib!

Certainly, I am with jtsingh on this one...a sin is a sin ..whether big or small....

LOL, how can you possibly say that lottery doesn't do no harm to individuals?? :oops::oops::oops::LOL::LOL: :? :? :? :? :?

LOL, here is hold 'schpeel' on ...gambling and its gudzz:P

Anyhow, I'd never imagine United Way selling lottery tickets...Perhaps just volunteer at a different time and different event...Because its better to be safe now, then be full of guilt and be sorry later...

By the way, Very good point -jtsingh..Kudos to you!

WEll anyway we can't really compare CRaCK with lottery coz crack does a lot of nooksaan to the eprson using it

lottery dioesn't do AS MUCH HArm and its not permanent while crack is :shock:

IN other hand I do agree that it is a good point raisen :?:

How do you know that the old ladies are not going to start dealing and whoring just to fuel their lottery habit? Have you ever played bingo, do you know how psychologically addictive it is?

Mr Singh:

You say that crack does more nooksaan, but how about this:

person is addicted to crack, gets therapy, is clean for life.

old lady buys a lottery ticket, keeps buying them, needs help...who does she turn to? Who can she seek help from? Dorothy is out with her granchildren. Edith is playing Bridge with the fellas. So she instead gets involved in jumping young boys on the street just to fuel her habit...ends up in the smacka, dies a cold lonely death.

How do you know that the old ladies are not going to start dealing and whoring just to fuel their lottery habit? Have you ever played bingo, do you know how psychologically addictive it is?

Mr Singh:

You say that crack does more nooksaan, but how about this:

person is addicted to crack, gets therapy, is clean for life.

old lady buys a lottery ticket, keeps buying them, needs help...who does she turn to? Who can she seek help from? Dorothy is out with her granchildren. Edith is playing Bridge with the fellas. So she instead gets involved in jumping young boys on the street just to fuel her habit...ends up in the smacka, dies a cold lonely death.

You gotta point there and there is "Sachy" no opposing points I have. :roll: :LOL:

But it still SEEMS TO BE WORSE TO SELL Crack and be a PImp then selling lottery

but i can't prove it :?

you've gotta good point there bhaji :idea: