Preet Kaur Gill discusses being the first Sikh female MP (and death threats)

Sikh MP Preet Kaur Gill contacts police after 'watch your back' email

4th March

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23363400.sikh-mp-preet-kaur-gill-contacts-police-watch-back-email/

Preet Kaur Gill, the first female Sikh MP and the shadow secretary of state for international development, spoke out after receiving an email telling her: “Watch your back”.

The Birmingham Edgbaston MP told GB News that she has felt the need to increase security at the constituency surgery meetings, where she also has a bodyguard.

“It was very direct. It’s a worry because I’m with my daughters in the constituency all the time. My family live there. It really puts into context the kind of job that you do.

“It’s tough enough as it is, but then when you’re faced with that, there’s very little support.

“This latest direct threat has really worried and concerned me. As a woman, when you put yourself forward and you want to address injustices and you care about issues that affect your constituents, you’re then faced with people that think it’s OK to say this sort of stuff to you.”

“I could not believe that this person used their place of work email to actually make that threat,” she told the broadcaster.

“Normally most people would probably use an alias, or try different ways of sort of creating a hate campaign. I’ve had huge amounts of hate campaigns created against me through WhatsApp groups too.”

She has contacted West Midlands Police about the incident.