Sikh woman raises sepsis awareness after losing brother to disease

Premi

Someone accepting death for a change !

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/uk-news/sikh-woman-raises-sepsis-awareness-26551046

Sikh woman raises sepsis awareness after losing brother to disease

Kamaldeep Kaur Sandhu is working to raise awareness of the dangers of Sepsis after losing her brother to the disease last year.

By
Amneet KaurCuriously writer
  • 14:09, 24 MAR 2023
  • UPDATED14:45, 24 MAR 2023

Rickey Singh Flora

•  

A sister is fighting to raise awareness after losing her brother to a common but deadly condition. Kamaldeep Kaur Sandhu is working to highlight the dangers of Sepsis after her family's devastating loss last year.

Kamaldeep, 38, of West London, is working with The UK Sepsis Trust using her faith as inspiration to raise awareness to help out other people affected. She lost her brother Rickey Singh Flora in June last year after he contracted invasive Strep A, which lodged itself in his knee, causing Sepsis. Kam works for Microsoft and she arranged for the charity to have a session at the company.

Rickey was 41 when he sadly passed away leaving behind his wife, two young children, parents and sister. Speaking to BirminghamLive she told us how her faith helped her deal with her loss, she said: "There’s a big part that Sikhi plays with everything that happened.

"I started following Basics of Sikhi seven or eight years ago. I learnt a lot about Sikhi by going to those classes and one of the things I learnt is that when you do an aardas (prayer) that’s your opportunity to ask whatever you want to ask to guru ji (God) because you’re going to get an answer in the hukumnama (hymn from the Guru Granth Sahib ji which is given as an order to Sikhs).

"When we realised how sick my brother was we went and did an aardas and the last three ardases that we did, the hukumnamas were all saying that he’s with Waheguru (God) now. When he passed away I can’t tell you how much that saved me.

Kamaldeep was able to access bereavement therapy through her work at Microsoft and she has since embarked on individual therapy. Describing her relationship with Rick, Kamaldeep said: “I cannot explain enough how close my brother and I were. He was my rock. We were close, a happy family, and we always have been, and I am incredibly grateful for that.

"But he was the perfect husband, perfect brother, dad, perfect son. It just could not have happened to a more pinnacle person. In the corporate world, they say you cannot have single points of failure. I feel like my brother was a single point of failure for our family.”