Sikhism and Islam Essay: Are They Really the SAME?

Hey y'all. I'm in a religions 100 class. My prof is a muslim and when he was discussing Sikhism, it appeared that he was trying his hardest to make it and Islam out to be very similar. SO newayz, i've decided to research this in my essay, so i was wondering if anybody could provide some really good links or pieces of writing comparing the two, and proving that they ARE different, cuz my prof is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllly annoying me :LOL: . It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could throw in your own two cents too, if you want ofcourse. Thanks in advance

Suleman tape is a good one !

1)A core-teaching of sikhi is that you need to meet God and that is only done by Guru's -Grace or you need to have a True Guru. This is there in the mool mantra as "Gur Parsaad". Islam recognises this as kafir-ism, plus we got a concept of re-incarnation and karma, they dont. i will post here later on.

Similarities:

Preach monotheism

Emphasis on God's will

Theory of creation by God's will

Giving alms to the poor and needy

Condemning the practice of asceticism and idol worship

Concept of Holy War, but for Sikhism it is only to fight injustice

Differences:

Doesn't believe one Holy book to have precedence over any religion, nor any religions prophet is the final messenger of God.

Sikhism believes anyone of different religions can attain salvation while still following their own religion.

The love of God has a great emphasis in Sikhism as opposed to fear of God.

Belief that God has infinite names, not just the ones given by the Holy Book

Non-Sikhs are allowed to visit and enter the most sacred shrines, even the Golden Temple

Belief In Reincarnation and Cycle Of Life & Death

Belief that everyone can obtain salvation, no idea of Kafir'ism

Women are allowed to lead congregations

Belief that women don't need to wear a veil

Doesn't believe in fasting or pilgrimage

Doesn't believe in circumcision

Rejects the idea of killing animals by evoking prayers or slow death, thus Halal meat is prohibited by the Sikhs.

anyone else please add anything that i may have missed out :)

I wanna beat your teacher up :x

:LOL: Penji ehi tae usdee intention hae... somebody bashes him up (coz he deserves it) and he calls for all muslims to UNITE :LOL: for a Jihaad again Sikhs... coz muslims ain't good in anything but ofcourse starting a Jihaad... :twisted:

Similarities:

Preach monotheism

Emphasis on God's will

Theory of creation by God's will

Giving alms to the poor and needy

Condemning the practice of asceticism and idol worship

Concept of Holy War, but for Sikhism it is only to fight injustice

Differences:

Doesn't believe one Holy book to have precedence over any religion, nor any religions prophet is the final messenger of God.

Sikhism believes anyone of different religions can attain salvation while still following their own religion.

The love of God has a great emphasis in Sikhism as opposed to fear of God.

Belief that God has infinite names, not just the ones given by the Holy Book

Non-Sikhs are allowed to visit and enter the most sacred shrines, even the Golden Temple

Belief In Reincarnation and Cycle Of Life & Death

Belief that everyone can obtain salvation, no idea of Kafir'ism

Women are allowed to lead congregations

Belief that women don't need to wear a veil

Doesn't believe in fasting or pilgrimage

Doesn't believe in circumcision

Rejects the idea of killing animals by evoking prayers or slow death, thus Halal meat is prohibited by the Sikhs.

anyone else please add anything that i may have missed out :)

To add to the list...

In Islam, Music is Haraam while in Sikhism whole Gurbani is based on Raags...

Music isn't haraam in islam... nusrat fateh ali khan was a sufi muslim who prayed to god through his music. mosdef not haraam..just that there are those who don't listen to music and who do consider it haraam

on a widescale level, however, it is not

Music isn't haraam in islam... nusrat fateh ali khan was a sufi muslim who prayed to god through his music. mosdef not haraam..just that there are those who don't listen to music and who do consider it haraam

Music is banned in islam. My co-worker who i do carpooling with...says sufism is an man-made cult has very little influence of islamic masses

Sat Sri Akal:

The Qua'ran does not make mention of this ban, but music is generally nto accepted in Islam as they associate it with dancing women and other carnal things not to be associated with religion.

(Wierd, as the Namaz is almost "sung" to the masses)...

I knew this question would be raised... please follow the link below of a Muslim discussion forum and find it out for yourself... itz a wierd forum... the funny thing is they are themselves badly confused to find the right answers from Quoran... there is one person who is repeatedly saying Inshallah..... makes a funny reading... you would enjoy your stay there... :D There is also one thread like "Sikhism on Islam" it makes a very interesting reading too...

http://www.gawaher.com/i2/index.php?act=ST&f=53&t=2034&