Superstitionz & Sikhizm

Taken...

While doing Langar Sewa some time back a Non-Sikh sitting in the Pangath refused to take Parshada from me as I was using my left hand to do Sewa of the Parshadas (I am a lefty). I asked him the reason and he said the left hand was impure as we used it when we wash/tissue our backside. I was taken aback but no amount of reasoning got thru to this fellow.

Today a Sikh suffering from Leukederma was doing Parshad ki sewa and it had profound effect on his hands and no one in the Sangath even showed the minutest negativeness while taking Parshad from him. I am sure if he was serving food in some other place people would have flinched from taking food from him. Though medically there is no problem but superstition makes people stupid.

In Sikhi superstition has no place .

thas silly about the left hand. i was watching a tv show on pbs sometime ago where the Gorey Sikhs of Yogi Bhajan mentioned that a man wears a kara on the right hand and a woman on the left hand .. some symbolism with the moon or something ...??

There are supersitions about people who donate Maser di daal at langar on Thursdays and Saturdays that they pass on their bad karams to the sangat who eats langar? dont know the truth to it .. but have been told several times that people donate daal to unload bad karams?

regards,

Umm, less of the butt-washing references please? :? :shock:

Yeah, I heard that daal superstition too. It's really silly, these people who follow these superstitions are responsible for the brahminical influence in Sikhi nowadays. Hindu's have a field day, they are waiting for anything which they can use to prove that we are Hindu's too :roll:

thas silly about the left hand

Muslims believe the left hand is un-holy ..

I guess Mohammed was Right-handed :roll:

My teacher told me that she had a meeting with a students mum, who was FANTICAL muslims..

and they forced their daughter to write with the right hand even tho she was left-handed, but my teacher said that she had a Ugly hand-writing with the right hand, and told that she has to write with the left hand..

and her Mom said

SHES GONNE WRITE WITH THE LEFT HAND..AND THATS IT..and she put on sound-isolating headphones on..IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TEACHER_PARENT MEETING :shock: :LOL:

The hair washing theory is great one, Khalsa Soulja is right, it's nonsense, the version I'm familiar with is not to wash one's hair on Tuesday (Mangal-var) and Thurday (Veer-var) since it brings misfortune to one's husband and one's brother...what utter trash! And as always, these function to undermine women -where's the equivalent for protecting one's Wife or Sister, if this not washing one's hair really does work??? In the same way, I know in India many Sikh Women take part in the Karvachaut fast...sorry, but WAKE UP!!! If you want protection, learn the martial ways and contemplate Maha Kaal -Maha Loh!

Agree with you 100% :)

Da most stupid 1 is where ppl r not allowed (4 sum reason) 2 wash ur clothes or hav bath on Tuesdays!!????

Dis is stupid! :evil:

Ok i'm a meat eater (beef is also meat), and ders another superstition bout meat. Saying dat ur not allowed 2 eat meat on sundays!???

Don't ppl tink these r hindu influses? Cos i do!

Da most stupid 1 is where ppl r not allowed (4 sum reason) 2 wash ur clothes or hav bath on Tuesdays!!????

Dis is stupid! :evil:

Ok i'm a meat eater (beef is also meat), and ders another superstition bout meat. Saying dat ur not allowed 2 eat meat on sundays!???

Don't ppl tink these r hindu influses? Cos i do!

Hindu influses?

its PURE HINDU MAT!

Hindus dont eat meat on Tuesdays and Sunday..depending on which sect the belong to ..

but its PURE BS :roll:

Hindu influses?

its PURE HINDU MAT!

Hindus dont eat meat on Tuesdays and Sunday..depending on which sect the belong to ..

but its PURE BS :roll:

Gur Fateh!

Whilst our Maryada as Sikhs does not entertain the need for such observances, I do feel it important to retain some respect for another's belief and not slate it as 'BS'.

There are reasons for the fasting or refraining of eating meat on the days you mentioned for those groups and whilst the gain from such activities is simply tempory and materialistic, hence discouraged under Gurmat so too is the slander of another's practice and belief.

This is a great site, as I have often mentioned to moderators privately -in fact one of the few forums left today which allows open, frank and full discussion, let's respect this freedom appropriately.

Please do not view this as a comment addressed to any one particular individual, there have been many posts of late using such terminology against groups, people et al...healthy discussion, even argument is fantastic, let's not deteriorate from that.

Humbly at the feet of the Sangat -please forgive any fololishness on my part,

GUR BAR AKAAAL!

Gur Fateh!

Whilst our Maryada as Sikhs does not entertain the need for such observances, I do feel it important to retain some respect for another's belief and not slate it as 'BS'.

There are reasons for the fasting or refraining of eating meat on the days you mentioned for those groups and whilst the gain from such activities is simply tempory and materialistic, hence discouraged under Gurmat so too is the slander of another's practice and belief.

This is a great site, as I have often mentioned to moderators privately -in fact one of the few forums left today which allows open, frank and full discussion, let's respect this freedom appropriately.

Please do not view this as a comment addressed to any one particular individual, there have been many posts of late using such terminology against groups, people et al...healthy discussion, even argument is fantastic, let's not deteriorate from that.

Humbly at the feet of the Sangat -please forgive any fololishness on my part,

GUR BAR AKAAAL!

My intention was not to offend anyone, and if there were Hindus on this board they would probably be offended..

but my being is that

ACCORDING TO SIKHI it is "BS".

as the Same with Idol worshiping...

In our Gurudwara...

Some people consider it being wrong to speak against Idol worshipping

but because some SIKHS DO idol worship today , we need to tell them that its WRONG according to sikhi

If we're not suppose to do Sikhi Parchar in a Gurdwara or on a Sikhi board then where :?

Yes I was a bit harsh saying its BS...But my point being is..that its against SIkhi,, and should thus not be done by Sikhs :? (in this case superstitions)

If I have offended anyone please forgive me... :o

//BHulla chukka maaf

GurFateh

Muslims believe the left hand is un-holy ..

I guess Mohammed was Right-handed :roll:

no....its becoz he believed that eating the food you wash your ass with was unacceptable...so he said used the left hand to clean your Ahem and right hand for eating

im not joking yeah........im chatted to muslims about this :shock:

omg i totally agree about the superstition thing, my nani ma is superstitious and its kinda funny, my mom kind of well tries to inforce some of her superstition on me, even tho she knows it's not true, funny eh? she also says no hair showers on tues and thursday, lol so just to tick her off i wash my hair on tues and thursday!! and other days... lol she knows i don't care, but she said that superstition was from mothers/ fathers living in india with a water shortage, or it costs too much, since they had lots of children and that equals a lot of baths, and since hair baths take a lot of water, they had strict rules, like only wash ur hair on certain days or else u will have an UGLY husband! lol it sounds stupid, but its i guess understandable. And another supersitition was once i was making salad and while making it i popped a cucumber in my mouth, my mom saw this and she said i should eat while making something, it will rain on my wedding. lol everything has to do with marriage! i know why we are not suppose to eat while making food, but that superstition was funny, so i was like LET IT RAIN, maybe it would be a tues so i can have shower on my wedding day too!

--ONE