COFFEE

jjj

Are amritdharis allowed to drink cofee. is it an intoxicant? I just drank once and I am about to drink one more time. I usually never drink tee and coffee.. but I liked this one with cappacuhino

WEll it kinda depends...

I personally believe that if you get addicted to it..then yes...its wrong..but if u drink it once in a while or soemthing....then why not..

and to the subject of it being an intoxicant..I'm not aware of coffee containing any drug or something, except caffiene if you interpret that as a drug that is...

Addiction is wrong....

and if you do it to get "high" or something :? ( :LOL: ) its wrong

but i.e. If you need it for you to become healthy ( If you ill or something)

then I dont see anything wrong with it :?

I tink dis is a bit extreme! I bet guys drink Soft drinks 2, why don't u be even more extreme and say dat ur not allowed Soft drinks too? Red Bull drinkers and all other energy drinks cut dem off too.

Sugar! Dats an intoxicant! Cut sugar!

Da list will go on and on.

Stop being dis extreme.

Caffiene can help u wake up @ 5am and do simran.

I tink dis is a bit extreme! I bet guys drink Soft drinks 2, why don't u be even more extreme and say dat ur not allowed Soft drinks too? Red Bull drinkers and all other energy drinks cut dem off too.

Sugar! Dats an intoxicant! Cut sugar!

Da list will go on and on.

Stop being dis extreme.

Caffiene can help u wake up @ 5am and do simran.

CAffiene destroys night sleep, give restlessnes as symtomp..

so I think ur gonne be quite tired to do Simran ;)

U want my project on Caffiene ;)?

(note: 18 pgs :P)

Yeah i kno, even da doctor warns us bout drinking too much caffiene.

How Much Is Too Much?

There has been much discussion but little agreement on how much caffeine is too much. Several international organizations cite 300 milligrams a day as a moderate intake of caffeine. This is equal to about three cups of coffee or six cups of tea.

The American Medical Association and American Heart Association both state that moderate amounts of caffeine are generally not dangerous to most people.

If you get the jitters from one cup of coffee, then that is too much for you. If you can't sleep after drinking a cup of coffee, then don't drink coffee in the evening. There is a wide variability in the amount of caffeine people can tolerate before having negative symptoms like those mentioned.

If you are trying to reduce caffeine intake, it may be more comfortable to do it slowly. Cutting down your coffee drinking by one-half cup every other day, drinking half-decaffeinated coffee, or drinking several fewer cola drinks each week over a period of time can reduce your need for caffeine without the headaches common to most who quit cold turkey.

http://vanderbiltowc.wellsource.com/dh/content.asp?ID=101

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just speaking for me...and I should first say that I have not taken Amrit myself.

I don't see coffee/tea/soda as an intoxicant, nor do I see it as something that generally someone should pesh for (NOT that I am an authority here!!!)

Guru gave us things that were enjoyable....look at Prashad!

Trying to stay awake, or trying to wake up is not an intoxicant as far as I'm concerned. Naturally it is best if a Sikh gets a proper amount of slep in the night, and trying to increase alertness by caffeine or any other artifical stimulation (cold water/air) may be too much of a shortcut, or even a bit stupid, but not a sin. I see it as kind of a reminder that sometimes we need to treat our bodies better.

Waheguru knows what we do, and he knows why we do it.

I do see coffee/tea/soda as something enjoyable to drink. I like drinking soda and carbonated water by myself, and I enjoy drinking tea and coffee in the company of others.

I dunno...I like having something nice to drink to share with company. Its enjoyable, and it is something that I like sharing. Much like I like sharing good food, opinions, or ideas with others. Wanting to share something you enjoy is not addiction in my eyes...its just part of being in a community.

I don't really want to lobby for drinking tea/coffee if there is a Sikh that is uncomfortable with it. This is more the way I see it for myself. The Panj Pyares are the ones to make a formal decision...I'm just describing the way I see it through my unbaptized eyes.