cannabis( is it true nihang singhs used to_still do_cannabis

lion singh

Guest Javanmard

le petit receipe for le sukha prasad 8)

get a morsar and a salotar (could be small could be a trunk)

add black pepper, pumpin seeds, almonds, cardamoms and ganja (dried cannabis indica leaves)

grind it and add water

filter le green water through a white cloth and drain the liquid

and voila.... taraaaaa ze sukha prasad!!! 8)

some people add ze rose petals or le rose sirup

mmmmmmm c'est bon

le petit receipe for le sukha prasad 8)

get a morsar and a salotar (could be small could be a trunk)

add black pepper, pumpin seeds, almonds, cardamoms and ganja (dried cannabis indica leaves)

grind it and add water

filter le green water through a white cloth and drain the liquid

and voila.... taraaaaa ze sukha prasad!!! 8)

some people add ze rose petals or le rose sirup

mmmmmmm c'est bon

Vous parlex Francais :| :shock:

C'est tres bien

vous voulez aimez moi avec mes deviours francais :P?

i heard that they use cannabis as prashaad, is this a good or bad thing may i have your opinions?

I was 5 years old when I first drank Sukha Degh.It's been a few years since I last drank some.It's so tasty :D

Nihang Singhs certainly know how to make nice sukha Degh and bhang vale pakore :wink:

Oh, and Mahaparshaad :wink:

Cannibis was used by Nihang Singhs as a pain supressant in battle, so they could battle for longer in extreme pain from cuts and blows :evil: :evil: :evil:

Nihang Singh = vanguard of Khalsa Fauj of Satguru Gobind Singh, I would say.I may be wrong.Correct me if I am.

well bani says

"Kabeer, those mortals who comsume marijuana, fish and wine - no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ||"

- page 1377 , written by Kabeer ji

so the CORRECT answer is , sukha is BAD

this is totally unrelated, but i thought there was no hell in our religion. I'm confused. If there isn't, why is there reference to it? or is it assumed that we know hell is life without god?

Gur Fateh Sukh Singh,

I had trouble reconciling my historical research in the Sikh Chronicles with this shabd too for quite sometime. Clearly the use of Maha Prashaad and Canabis (and in some instances wine) was freely made within the Panth and the Kurayt viewed to be the abuse of these items.

Recently I have looked at this another way (if you have access to the article on Meat and Sikhi by Giani Sergill Ji, I recommend having a read for a balanced view on the subject):-

Bhagat Kabir says that those who consume bhang (marijuana), fish (machhali is also a name given to a kind of drug), or alcohol, will lose the benefit of practising “Tirath Burt Nem” the holy rituals.

However, Gurbani repeatedly says there is no benefit at all of “Tirath Burt Nem” like actions.

In this hymn, the words, “Tirath Burt Nem” are used as a phrase (which does not mean these three specific things, that is, just these three rituals, i.e., visiting holy places, daily rituals, and fasting, but refer to all kinds of rituals.

The meaning of the hymn, therefore could well be that one does not benefit at all by performing holy rituals or doing religious deeds, if one continues to lead a vicious life (sinful life). The message is that one must give up vices to benefit from religious practices. This hymn, thus, prohibits a vicious life, it does not say anything “for” or “against” eating meat.

Now agreed for some, partaking in bhang and mahaprashad may equate to a vicious life, but this is a relative judgement dependent upon your situation. I for one, living and working in London, UK as a professional do not face the same physical challenges a front soldier would and can do without the need for bhang or mahaprashad, that said, should the need arise, then as I have stated elsewhere, I firmly believe that the Khalsa are Khshatyrias (Warriors) who can adapt to any situation and win...

...as Bruce Lee said..."no way is THE way"

Forgive any foolishness on my part...

GUR BAR AKAAAL!

well bani says

"Kabeer, those mortals who comsume marijuana, fish and wine - no matter what pilgrimages, fasts and rituals they follow, they will all go to hell. ||"

- page 1377 , written by Kabeer ji

so the CORRECT answer is , sukha is BAD

Guest Javanmard

Dear MrSIngh

oui tres cher je parle francais et ce serait pour moi un plaisir de vous aider avec vos devoirs de francais!

avec mes salutations respectueuses

lalleshvari, comte de Montecristo! :wink:

Dear MrSIngh

oui tres cher je parle francais et ce serait pour moi un plaisir de vous aider avec vos devoirs de francais!

avec mes salutations respectueuses

lalleshvari, comte de Montecristo! :wink:

Mods note (From Mr Singh): English please!

Lol :LOL:

Merci Beaucoup

Now here theres a stop on my FRENCH vocab so I'll use English instead

So I'll contact u when i got some french texts to translate ;)

oh btw Lallesh..Ur on ur good way of learning 16 languages :| :shock: (Sanskrit 5abi English French :? )

Sat Sri Akal:

Khalsas are Kshytrias?

Yeah...?

The same Kshytrias who refused to take Amrit because the "lower castes" had drank from it? The same Kshytrias that married off their own daughters to the Mughals to prevent their little kingdoms from being trampled? Or maybe the Kshytrias who were do craven that they attacked Guru Gobind Singh?

Which Kshytria are you?

Sat Sri Akal!

Bhai Sahib, thank you for your response, and I’m glad you raised this point as this is exactly that thought that ran through my mind when I first came across Guru Gobind Singh’s Shabd

“Khshatriya ka poot ho, Bahmin kaa nahi...”

[Krishna Avtar, Sri Dasam Granth Sahib]

Historically speaking, yes Bhai Sahib the scenes you described are correct, however consider the above shabd and others like it and you’ll see why we are Khsatriyas. The incidents that you speak of are related to the Hindu Khshatriya caste who indeed did refuse to take Amrit from the same Bata on grounds of their superior caste –it is here that Maharaj speaks of creating a race of true Khshatriyas (warriors) based on deed and action rather than caste lineage, free from pseudo –brahmanical issues (hence the Shabd above). The Khalsa is the true Khshatriya (Warrior), combined of all the 4 varnas and unique, the Sant Sipai ideal is concurrent with this.

Of late there has been much talk of Bir Ras, a term derived from ‘Veer Rasa’ forming one of many types of ‘rasa’ (essence, sweetness...) evident in Indian poetry. This is integral to the Khalsa as the true model of a Khshatriya when we look at the 4 qualities of (Veer) Bir Ras:-

Dharam (Righteousness) Veer

Daya (Compassionate) Veer

Dhan (Charitable) Veer

Yudh (Battle) Veer

With the last (Yudh) being subservient to the first 3. It is the Khshatriya Marg that I refer to in my post, the Warrior Way or Warrior Path had we thread upon.

I hope this helps and again, please forgive any foolish comments in the foregoing. I trust that all can appreciate that I am NOT claiming to right in my view, I simply present these as effectively this is where I am in my present understanding, as limited as it maybe, as such I welcome any feedback and corrections where necessary.

BIR RAS DE NAAL (!),

GUR BAR AKAAAAAAAAL!!!!

Sat Sri Akal:

Khalsas are Kshytrias?

Yeah...?

The same Kshytrias who refused to take Amrit because the "lower castes" had drank from it? The same Kshytrias that married off their own daughters to the Mughals to prevent their little kingdoms from being trampled? Or maybe the Kshytrias who were do craven that they attacked Guru Gobind Singh?

Which Kshytria are you?

I'd just like to say this: just because cannabis was used as a pain supressant in battle, it doesn't mean that cannabis is to be used as a recreational drug.Like lalleshvari said above, use of pain suppressant is good, it allowed the Nihang Singhs to fight for longer.However abuse is obviously bad.

But I wonder nowadays, is it (Shaheedi Degh) necessary nowadays?I mean, what face to face war do we face today?

The only threat to Sikhi I see is from "within" ranks, so to speak.By that I mean: AKJ, Radhaswamis, Darshan Dasi, Nakali Nirankari et al.Although the previous groups I've mentioned consider themselves pure Sikh, they are not, in my own personal opinion.

Today Sikhi faces a different war, one of doubting Gurbani (Raag Mala, Dasam Granth/Sarloh Granth) and puritanical/politically motivated movememnts in Sikhi.

And on meat eating.Jhatka is a historical fact.I don't know about the rest of the Khalsa Fauj, but Nihang Singhs have carried out jhatka for centuries, any Nihang Singh will tell you that.If you can't kill an animal, sacrificed to Vahiguru, then how you going to kill your enemy?How are you going to feel when you literally taste the blood of your enemy?War was a dirty and nasty thing in those days, still is.But at least nowdays soldiers don't have the blood of their enemy splashed onto their faces very often, well not unless they're doing up close killing, known as "wet works".

Can you imagine the amount of Turkoo and Khalsa blood and gore that would've been on the body and Bana of a Khalsa in those days, during and after a battle?

Imagine it.

Sat Sri Akal:

What about the Brahmin aspect...they one in which the Sikhs mind is continuously engaged in Gurbani? What about the Vaishvyas...who had to carry on a hard day's work to earn money? What about the humility of the Shudra?

A ideal Sikh is the embodiment of ALL FOUR castes...the perfect human, not just one.

Guest Javanmard

You are totally right but mind you the kshatriya element is more predominant. The panj kakars can be taken as a trifunctional (see Dumezil's and Eliade's works) and hence represent the Khalsa of Guru Gobind SIngh as a replica of the Primordial Being, the Cosmic Man, Mahapurusha in the Indian tradition or Adam Kadmon in the Abrahamic tradition.

Gur Fateh!

Dear ms514 Bhai Sahib, I understand what you're saying and certainly my traditional view on the matter was that a Sikh embodied in one person all 4 aspects and castes as you have mentioned and still is...manu created the castes by separating the human into 4 (head for brahmin, arms for kyshatriya...feet for Shudra)...Khalsa is a complete human embodying all qualities...

That said, look at the 4 qualities of Bir Ras and one can see that these are still manifest within Dharam, Daya, Dhan and Yudh...in a looser sense, Brahmin, Shudra, Vaishvyas and finally Kyshatria respectively...

...again, I do feel we are essentially 'singing from the same hymn sheet' here...please do keep providing more input as these are only my personal ideas and understanding and by no means scholarly or certain...

SAT SRI AKAAAAL!

Sat Sri Akal:

Oh Jathedar Sahib, is a Sikh not supposed to be a Saint first and a Soldier next?

NEVER is the Soldier component to ever override the Saint. Even in combat, the Sikh's Shastar is driven by Gurbani.

Therefore, stating that the Kshytria component is to be predominant is not in line with the concept of Sant-Siphai.

And following this logic, a Sikh would have to be called a Brahmin...which does not go over too well with anyone!!!