Surrogate Motherz & Sikhizm

How does a Sikh react to this relativly new phenomenon :?:

A surrogate mother is a woman who carries a child for someone else, usually an infertile couple. There are two different types of surrogacy. They are traditional surrogacy and gestational surrogacy. Explanations for both types can be found below.

Traditional Surrogacy

In traditional surrogacy, the surrogate mother is artificially inseminated with the sperm of the intended father or sperm donor. The surrogate's own egg will be used, thus she will be the genetic mother of the resulting child.

Usually, the intended father's name is put directly on the birth certificate and the intended mother will need to do a step-parent adoption, however, laws regarding this issue vary from state to state. Consult a lawyer who is knowledgable about surrogacy laws in your state to learn more.

Gestational Surrogacy

In a gestational surrogacy, the surrogate mother is not genetically related to the child. Eggs are extracted from the intended mother or egg donor and mixed with sperm from the intended father or sperm donor in vitro. The embryos are then transferred into the surrogate's uterus. Embryos which are not transferred may be frozen and used for transfer at a later time if the first transfer does not result in pregnancy.

In many areas, the intended parents may petition the court during the third trimester of pregnancy to have both of their names placed directly on the birth certificate, however, laws regarding this issue vary from state to state. Consult a lawyer who is knowledgable about surrogacy laws in your state to learn more.

• 2 weeks later...

This is just not natural! I don't mean to denigrate the feelings of parents that desperately want children and just can't have them...the fact of the matter is that there is a woman in the picture that goes through the entire experience of pregnancy...and then has to give up the baby.

There have been cases where the surrogate mother has not wanted to give up the baby, and thus gone to court to keep it. The mother's gestational marvel is dismissed to a contract clause, and the innocent child in question gets tangled up in a nasty court case.

All the while, there are children that have already been brought in to the world that are desperate to have a mommy and daddy to love them.

An institution like the Massachusetts Hospital School is home to kids that will live most/all of their childhood parentless, because they are not only orphaned, they have some kind of disability. (Most children, able-bodied or not, are nearly impossible to place in adoptive homes once they reach school age).

I'm going to stop shy of saying that surrogacy is something that should be "banned". I trust my fellow Sikhs to be able to see the situation for themselves.

However, given the choice of contracting a woman for an unnatural pregnancy vs. giving a loving home to a lonely child that may have never known a parent's love, I can't help but think Waheguru would see us choosing open our minds and heart to a needy child as worthy seva.

However, given the choice of contracting a woman for an unnatural pregnancy vs. giving a loving home to a lonely child that may have never known a parent's love, I can't help but think Waheguru would see us choosing open our minds and heart to a needy child as worthy seva.

Very well summed up... Are there any legal hasstles which promoted this phenomenon of Surrogation ? Is finding and adopting a parentless child more difficult than searching a women for surrogation ?

Isnt this phenomenon so degrading for the wife ?