Scents for GGS??

makes the room smell nice.

Esp, if the people sitting there had chips n beans for langar.

hahahah.. thats a good one...

but in real life scenario...you think back in guroo's time we had scents invented???

Guest Javanmard

Sant Giani Gurbachan SIngh in his Gurmat Rahit Maryada explains that the use of scents and incense attracts the shahids, the devte and devtian and other celestial beings that come to participate in the sangat and bless it by their presence. Sant Gurbachan Singh gives a whole list of scents that can be used for Maharaj's hazuri.

the tradition of keeping scents and incense in sacred buildings is as ancient as religions. Orthodox and Catholic Christians do it for the same reasons and so do Sufis and SHias who believe that the angels will come down to pray with the believers. In that way all the creation adores God. It also keeps away evil spirits and other nefarious creatures but that's another thing altogether....

Guest Javanmard

When looking at other religious traditions you'll see that only natural scents are used which has to do with the link between spirituality and nature. Grain incense burnt on hot coal is excellent. My Greek friends call it liva and bring lots of it for me each year. It really is excellent when doing long simran sessions or even perfume your kesh like I do.

Guest Javanmard

talking of smells in Maharaj's hazuri I get very very angry at those people, mostly roti granthis and 40+ men who think it's allright to burp and fart in Maharaj's presence. I really feel like punching them really hard in the teeth. I mean how disgusting :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

These people should be locked into a tiny cabin full of stinking bombs and left to die in there. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

really really disgusts me :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

ooooh - frankincence makes you go squiffy - love that stuff. I recently got hold of a really old Ladakhi incence box with traditional tibetan incence of juniper leaves which tibetan buddhists burn on coals in huge bonfires - a very beautiful smell among the stench of tibetan yak tea and rotten ghee at most gompas! I managed to buy a huge bag of the stuff and brought it back. If anybody wants some then PM me. It looks highly illegal when bagged up, but even the anal punjabi customs didn't give it a second look.

I also saw some of the famous black Gujrati sufi pirs who were burning something wild at a zikhr I went to (it completely filled the room making it hard to see and smelt very earthy...no it wasn't THAT stuff!)

fresh, moist dhoof is my favourite. Sant Jagjit Singh Herkhowal (a trained Nirmala no less!) gives a recipe for it in his autobiography.