Your Birthday in Sikhi

jsb

i found this on the sikhsangat board...i think it's awesome

you can find your birthday on the calendar and see what happened on that day in history...pretty cool if you ask me :D

http://allaboutsikhs.com/history/index.htm

for example....mine:

september 23

although unofficial, today is the day that Chopai Sahib was ever uttered

Bhai Gurdas, the great Sikh Scholar and Poet, passed away.

6th January

1846 Battle of Budowal between Sikhs and British.

1989 Sirdar Satwant Singh and Kehar Singh hanged for gunning down Indira Gandhi. As Prime Minister of India, she had ordered the June 1984 attack on Harimandir Sahib by the Indian Armed Forces.

Sardar Satwant Singh and Sardar Kehar Singh were hanged till death. They were co-accused with Sardar Beant Singh for gunning down Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984. Sikh Panth holds Indira Gandhi, then Prime Minister of India, responsible for the dessicration of Harminder Sahib in 1984's Bluestar operation.

Lord Gifford, a forner judeg and member of Britain's House of Lords, was deeply shocked by the death sentence because the execution took place on highly ambiguous and speculative circumstances. Furthermore, a committee consisting of retired judges, several lawyers and writers of India were of the opinion that these executions will be a source of undying shame to India.

-Source Globe and Mail, 6th Jan. 1989.

Pretty depressing :cry: Although technically my real birthday is the day I took Amrit, which is 21st September:

21st September

1845 Raja Gulab Singh Dogra got Jawahar Singh killed by Mia Prithi Singh Dogra. Jawahar Singh was brother of Rani Jindan Kaur. Jawahar Singh had become very unpopular. So Rani Jindan had abandoned Jawahar Singh. As a result Jawahar Singh and some of his followers were murdered.

==> Maharani JIND KAUR: was daughter of Sardar Manna Singh Auhlakh, a resident of village Chandh, district Sialkot, Tehsil Jafarwall. She was wife of Maharaja Ranjit Singh and mother of Maharaja Dalip Singh. Once the British government gained control of the Khalsa Raj's affairs, she was initially kept under house arrest at Saekhupura and subsequently jailed at Chunar fort (U.P. district Mizapur). However, she escaped in a beggar's attire and reached Nepal, where she lived with dignity. In 1861, Maharani Jind Kaur reached England to visit her son Maharaja Dalip Singh, where she died on Aug. 1, 1863 at the age of 46. Her body was brought back and cremated in Nasik Nagar, on the outskirts of Bombay.

On March 27, 1924, Maharaja Dalip Singh's daughter, Bamba Dalip Singh, brought the ashes of Maharani Jind Kaur from Nasik Nagar and buried it next to Maharaja Ranjit Singh's samadh. Sardar Harbans Singh Rais of Atari performed the last rights (antim Ardas) on this occasion.

-Ref. Mahan Kosh (pp. 523)

More killing?! :cry: Maybe I'l end up with depression :(

We should not percieve these events as depressing coz every event is responsible for evolution of Sikhism... although mine too is pity depressing.. :roll:

20th June

1670 Guru Tegh Bahadhur Ji arrested in Delhi.

1923 Babu Santa Singh arrested at Tapa Railway Station.

1972 20 GurSikhs killed in Gurdwara Sadabarat.

1977 Parkash Singh Badal became the Chief Minister of the Punjab.

1984 Major General R.K. Ghoad, announced 4 officer, and 4 JOC, and 92 soliers killed while 287 injured during the bluestar operation. Later Rajiv Gandhi, while addressing a Congress gathering in Nagpur, announced 700 soliers killed and 2400 Sikhs arrested. The actual count as per eye witnesses in thousands.

1984 Sirdar Harinder Singh Khalsa resigned his position at Indian Embassy, Norway, in protest of Indian Army's attack on Sri Darbar Sahib and sought asylum along with his family.