ALL THAT IS 3HO...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately sometimes in life there are many obstacles to one not keeping there hair, esp in the western counteries....I know of some immigrants that had to cut their hair in order to keep a job that gave them and their families a decent living, it's a hard decision, but sometimes people have to do it for the good of everyone else....

Also some ppl end up losing their hair during medical treatments, what is one to do then.....

And sometimes people feel that those that do keep their hair are actually no better than the ones that don't as they continually judge, and have no real love for the all of Waheguru's creation...

I fall in the latter category, I have consciously since i was 13 made a decision to cut my hair every year in may, because i've seen to many pakhandi's in my city, and would rather focus on the Lord himself, then try to fit in with those that condemn.... i understand ur view point, but i don't think u'll understand mine.....

So Rab Rakha

We do feel this topic is getting side-tracked.

Please benti(request) on everyone's charan(feet). Lets stick to the topic- 3HO Practices. Please discuss it with our fellow member- Prabhu about any 3ho practices that you may find weird and remove ignorance.

Ok, I agree, it has side tracked, i'll be the first one to bring it back...

Prabhu Ji,

I was just wondering what is the tantric yoga that 3HO practices, the philosophy behind it?

(and also if u've been able to find out the answer to my first question about Yogi Ji's teacher?)

Thanks

Prabhu Jee,

I have one question for you. Why most of the harbhajan Singh Yogi's organization 3HO Sikhs attach "khalsa" with their name? You have shown great enthusiasm in bringing true Sikhism and I think it would be great favor to this forum and members if you will enlighten us on significance of attaching khalsa with 3HO/American Sikhs? It seems like you understand Guru Granth Sahib very well in English format, so please add few quotes from Guru Sahib to support that usage of khalsa with every single one of 3HO Sikh is right?

Also, I have come across so many Sikhs from Punjabi background and they have problem with American Sikhs where they try to preach Sikhism more than learning it by themselves. I have heard them complaining that 3HO Sikhs are living under the impression that they have found the true Sikhism and try to act like Gurus of rest of the Sikhs and nit-picking is one of their choices.

This is a SIKH discussion board, about AWARENESS right?

Be straight no harm in it. We will allow your thoughts as long as you keep the honesty. No one is going to take any offense as we know members of this forum. Also, N30S!ingh, I think it is ok if we go little bit off topic because it’ll help us to explore and understand the American concept as well.

I also have one question to prabhu ji.

Why lot of 3ho sikhs use "Guru" in their name...like Guru Fatah Singh, Gururam Singh??

I have put this question forward to other 3ho singhs as well. They say they use those names because its inspiring but i think its quite dis-respectful to use such names within sikh community.

We all know from Guru Nanak Dev Nirankar Sikhi. Finall guru is Satguru guru granth sahib ji . End of the story. The lineage ends there.

I m not saying they are not wrong in this. They might feel they get inspired by having these names but to others (especially punjabi sikh community) its quite hurting to see such names.

Also this is funny question.lol...but let me ask you-

- How come white sikh woman marry within 3ho??

I think they should try different flavours, races, colors within sikhi. It gives us (singhs) oppurtunity too live in grisht jeevan without scarificing sikhi practices. As you know the current sad state on sikh matrmonial sites where punjabi sikh woman want clean-shaven guys all over the place ...

Please let us know...why 3ho sikh woman marry within in the jatha? Dont see any mixed breeds... :)

Let the colors mix and dissolve in the ocean of anand :D:P

To Canadian Jatti: Without personally attacking you I would like to ask rather than condem why you think it is necessary to list your caste? The Guru is very clear on castes.

Next I would like to ask why you feel yours or anybody else's excuses supercedes the directive of the Guru? The Guru is very clear on hair.

Are you responsible for your actions or are others? If other people with hair offend you, you should have the courage to lead the way, not hide with cut hair.

The job excuse has been told a thousand times. Only those who truly have faith in the Guru know that that their support comes from God and that they will always be supported when they side with the Guru and not Capitalism. Sometimes I worry about job security, and then I think "The only security I have is that God is with me at all times." With or without hair you will be supported as God wills it.

In response to ur question about my name, this name i chose of three years ago as my online persona, since then I have grown more spiritually, but have kept the name as that is what my online community knows me as, however if u were to talk to me, get to know, and see what i'm about, i have never supported the caste system and on the contrary have spoken against it whereever the topic was raised....

I don't hide behind my cut hair, if i did then i would prolly put it up or try to cover it so that others may not see it..... I instead flaunt it, dye it and do whatever i please with it.... but that doesn't mean my actions are disrespectful towards the Guru Sahib... how many out there actually take time to do naam simrin, to do their Jap Ji Sahibs, on this site there are many, but out there in the world?

Well i find your statements kind of confusing, here u state that one is supported as God wills it, but when I made the statement that God chooses ur destiny as a Gursikh, u stated that those ppl are cowards that don't keep their hair...

Do u or don't u believe that we live in the accordance of God's will???

Here we go again. I'm sorry if I sound sarcastic, but the name thing has been discussed a thousand times. The best discussions are on the Sikhnet discussion boards. If you search the archives you will find a lot of material.

Yogi Bhajan wanted his Sikh students to identify themselves as Khalsa first. He wants the Khalsa to permeate every aspect of our lives. When everybody has the name Khalsa, no single person is distinguishable. There are no castes, races, or even genders.

As far as having Guru in your name it is just a different spelling. There are many Punjabis who have the name Gurnam, so what is wrong with Guru Nam? Being named after the naam of the Guru is great. I have a friend named GuruJot. When you call him, you are remembering the Guru's divine light.

The point about marriage is extremely misrepresentative of 3HO. To get my point across once and for all: 3HO IS NOT LIMITED TO WHITE PEOPLE. We have people of every race. My brother is marrying on Sunday to a girl from Chile (South America). There are white, black, brown, yellow, and any other color Sikh you can think of. There are several white women married to Punjabi men in my community and they have beautiful multi-racial children.

As far as sticking with people from 3HO, this is the basics of marriage. You cannot marry somebody who you are incompatible with. If you are a strong proponent of rising in the Amrit Vela, practicing yoga to strengthen your body and prepare you to meditate, meditating on the naam, and living as Khalsa, you will wish to have a partner who thinks the same.

I was thinking about this discussion last night when I was at a going away party for a really cool guy from Singapore, who came for the summer. All I could think was, why do people continue to question and write things on the internet? Furthermore, what does it matter if I make any statements, I don't speak for 3HO. I know admitting that there are mistakes in 3HO would offend some people. If anybody here wants to learn about 3HO or "American Sikhs" that are not Punjabi, all they need to do is meet people. I'm sure everybody here could find somebody in 3HO who they could get along with and shares similar ideas on Sikhism. Those apostates, will never agree with me, but you may find a small few in 3HO who agree with you.

how many out there actually take time to do naam simrin, to do their Jap Ji Sahibs, on this site there are many, but out there in the world?

Who cares what other people are doing? You may not be outright disrespecting the Guru, but you cannot claim to be a disciple (Sikh) of the Guru. Maybe somebody who picks and chooses in accordance with their manmat. Guru Gobind Singh stated that it is not the Sikh he likes, but the roop, the form of the Sikh.

Do u or don't u believe that we live in the accordance of God's will?

Of course we live in God's will. The gift that God has given us in this life form is consciousness. God can show us the Guru's path, but if our ego doesn't allow us to accept it, then that is our own undoing.

To clarify, my point in bringing up the party I went to last night, was to emphasize that we are normal and happy people. I participated in many great discussions on Sikhi, shaster vidiya, and yoga. The latter two are subjects I would love to learn more and more about. The more I learn about yoga, and try it, the more I'm convinced it's inline with the physical stamina and conditioning required for a warrior.

Anyway, there were so many people with a divine light, who look like saints to me, at that party. Any one of our community get togeters will involve great people, great activities, great discussions, or great meditations. And when we have Gurdwara, I feel that presence that I have only ever felt at the Hari Mandir Sahib. Gurdwara is beyond amazing when everybody is their to sing Gurbani, meditate on the naam, and enjoy the sangat. Whatever "un-Sikh" practices or confusing things people think are prevalent in 3HO are left at home during Gurdwara and it is just a sangat of saintly people, who are all in turbans.

Look, i'm just trying to extend my knowledge to learn, but Prabhu Ji, u seem to like to attack my posts more than answer my questions, how am i to come out of my ignorance, if my questions aren't answered....

As far as my hair being cut, that is how i feel comfortable at the moment, as i don't feel i personally am ready for Amrit... and who knows perhaps w my thirst for knowledge and quest for God, perhaps i may come to a point where i feel that that is my roop as well... I have respect for those that commit themselves to Amrit, that follow through, and live a pious life, however i haven't seen many ppl that actually live like that, but the few that i have, i respect them....

I am not attacking anyone here on whether they should or shouldn't keep their hair.... instead i focus on myself and state that that is not what i am comfortable with.... so please... chill

I apologize if you feel that I have attacked you. I have respect that you are learning and wish you the best in your process.

I will always take a strong stance about hair, because it is sacred. I am confrontational on occasion, so that I may challenge somebody's beliefs. As soon as somebody gets comfortable in their belief that they know better than the Guru, they are slipping away from Gurmat. As soon as that argument is at my door, so to speak, I will act. Nobody wants to hear slander of the Guru, or see disrespect shown to the Khalsa, and for some the continual debate about hair can feel like an attack on Sikhi.

Nothing would make me happier than to embrace you as my Khalsa brother. Until then, if you feel like there is an attack coming from me, it is only in the form of challenging some beliefs in the face of the Guru's instruction.

Sat Siri Akal!