Why do we do Matha Tek to the holy Guru Granth sahib ? Is it

Bowing before Guru Granth Sahib is not idol worship. The answer has been discussed

earlier. It is to make us feel humble and reduce our ego, the cause of our all problems. To

explain it further, culture plays a very important role in the rituals of a religion. We can find such

examples all over the world. There are different methods of greeting your friend in different

cultures.

i) Folding hands in front of your chest and bending head slightly,

ii) Bending your body at the waist with your head bending downwards and hands going

backwards, as with the Japanese

iii) Shaking right hands, the most common international custom

iv) Embracing each other, particularly Panjabi women.

v) Exchange of kisses, as among the people of the middle East.

In India, bending down so as to touch the feet of an elderly holy person, is an age old

custom to express respects to him/her. It is practiced even today as good manners. When the

children in the Punjab go to or come from their school, they bend to touch the feet of their

parents, particularly their grandparents. In the same way children in the West wish good night to

their parents before going to bed.

Respecting your parents by bending your parents by bending before them is not human worship. It is a ritual to pay respect. In the West, people take off their hats to respect a woman or a senior person. Similarly, Sikhs, instead of taking off their hat (with a turban they cannot do it, even if they wanted to do it just like their Western friends), do math tek before the Guru to pay their respect and regards. Bending before Guru Granth Sahib is to show one’s respect and regards for the Guru; it is not idol worship.

Philosophically, this means that the person who bows before Guru Granth makes a

promise to himself to follow the path suggested by the Gurbani. It is something similar to taking

an oath to the constitution by raising a hand. In this case, we bow the head instead of raising the

hand. The act of bowing reminds a person of his or her being a Sikh and a believer in the

teachings of Gurbani. It strengthens the faith in Gurbani which is essential to help us to walk on

the path of the Guru.

Plzzz Post Ur opinions ....fateh ji

U jus answered da question urself :D . U said Guru Granth Sahib! Its jus 4 respect dat we matha tek. Remeber Guru means teacher and a sikh means student. If u wanna learn from ur teacher u hav 2 shown respect 2 ur teacher and den ur teacher will show u da way.

dude, you've done it on all your posts. as fascinating as your monologues are, when they said question and answer section, im pretty sure they meant by different people.

hint number 1: make another username......

hint number 2: Use it..

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

only joking harjinder.

hahaha that's IDEAL styles! haha

Catholics have many novenaas to different Saints. The idea of having patron saints meant a Catholic could say a novena to a particular saint for a particular need.

There are novenas for small comforts, such as praying to St. Anthony to help find something important that has been lost.

There are novenas for medium comforts, such as praying to St. Christopher for safety while traveling.

There are novenas for when one is in great need, such as praying to St. Jude in situations that seem hopeless or insurmountable. Many Catholics also pray to the the Blessed Mother (St. Mary) when in need...and they Hail Mary/Ave Maria, is one of the most sacred prayers that Catholics pray.

Catholics do not believe that the Saints are deities. However, they believe Saints have the power to act as an intercessor. When Catholics say a novena to the Saints, they do so with the intention that the Saint gives the message to God. St. Mary has particular importance because in the Bible, Jesus never turned down his mother, regardless of what she asked. Catholics never truly pray to the Saints, Catholics only pray to God.

Having been brought up with these concepts, for me it is very easy to understand that Sri Guru Granth Sahib is representative of Waheguru. When I bow to SGGS, I do not feel like I am bowing to a book, or to binding, or ink or paper. I am bowing what represents Waheguruji in this realm. My mind is not what word is on what page, nor is it focused on wondering what page it may be open to. My mind is on being one with Guru.

I'm not sure if that made any sense or not. Sometimes the connections that I draw in my own mind make sense to me are not necessarily ones that I can verbalize with coherency.