For whom do we do Keertan for?

GURFATEH

ok everyone, ill lay my cards flat out; i play the vajaa, can sing, and play table, and regularly play on the stage at my local gurdwara; however; i feel uneasy playing infront of people; whereas i prefer to recite keertan byy myself at home.

my mom on the other hand pressurises me to do keertan at gurdwara

i know the fact that; in a sangat; u get more fal; however; the main reason which is pushing me away from doing keertan is the fact that i keep on being pressurised to do keertan in public; the more i do at home; the more my mom pushes me to go on stage...and i dont like that.

how can i go about this problem?; i want to do keertan because it mellows me out; but i dont see the real point of me doing it at gurdwara

im trying to weigh up the arguments; the more i do keertan on stage; the more it will spur future sikh generations to do keertan and follow the trend..... help?

Bhaji I can understand your problem. My dad is the same, well he was but things changed as I felt that I wanted to share my Kirtan with the Sangat. There is nothing wrong with doing it on your own, it's the most beautiful gift from Vaheguru and you have been blessed with it. Kaljug mein Kirtan Pardhana!

However, don't do it because you feel forced or obliged, build up your confidence in your own time, explain to your Mum that when you yourself out of love for the Sangat do it on stage, that will affect people more because it shows from your voice. Otherwise, you will feel nervous and it will just make you feel like it's a chore.

It's hard to be patient with parents who have such high expectations, trust me, I know :roll: but you have to try and explain, continue doing Kirtan as your personal meditation but build up your confidence slowly in your own time to perform on stage because when you are doing Kirtan, and someone's mind enjoins with Vaheguru, it's a great Sewa for which you yourself will get 'ful'.

Gurfateh!

singh, learn a raag, with all the notes.

when you go on stage, just sing the notes and come off.

Guru Gobind Singh ji told the singh's to sing True Raag when Aurgenzeb banned the singing of Raags. Aurengzeb knew that only Sikhs sing raag, cos our bani is written in Raags. He didnt know that people in the future we going to give up the tradition of singing in Raags and change it to crappy hindi film tunes. Some people have done the Job that Aurengzeb couldnt.

nutters the lot of you :shock:

Bhaji I can understand your problem. My dad is the same, well he was but things changed as I felt that I wanted to share my Kirtan with the Sangat. There is nothing wrong with doing it on your own, it's the most beautiful gift from Vaheguru and you have been blessed with it. Kaljug mein Kirtan Pardhana!

However, don't do it because you feel forced or obliged, build up your confidence in your own time, explain to your Mum that when you yourself out of love for the Sangat do it on stage, that will affect people more because it shows from your voice. Otherwise, you will feel nervous and it will just make you feel like it's a chore.

It's hard to be patient with parents who have such high expectations, trust me, I know :roll: but you have to try and explain, continue doing Kirtan as your personal meditation but build up your confidence slowly in your own time to perform on stage because when you are doing Kirtan, and someone's mind enjoins with Vaheguru, it's a great Sewa for which you yourself will get 'ful'.

Gurfateh!

thanx gurpreet kaur!! thats a gud response. They do have high expectations :? . There was actually 1 time where i did want to go on the stage and ur right, its much more free flowing rather than that 'force singing'. mmmmmm.....now i need to break the news to them