(APNA) - Academy of the Punjab in North America

Guest Punjabi Nationalist

For people who are interested in the Punjabi language, literature, culture and heritage.

And for those who want to preserve, develop and promote Punjabiyat and unity of all Punjabis through these shared things, regardless of difference of faith or nationality.

(This post is directed towards the adults and young adults here)

http://www.apnaorg.com/

APNA: INTRODUCTION AND OBJECTIVES

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

------

Punjabi language and culture have gone through great stress since the last two

centuries. Due to historical reasons Punjabi was not patronized by its rulers;

while the alien rulers from the north had no interest in promoting Punjabi, its

indigenous ruler Ranjeet Singh could not replace Punjabi with Persian.

Furthermore, Punjabi was the only language that was not recognized as the

medium of elementary education by the British. After the independence,

Pakistani rulers despised this language, while in India, the position of

Punjabi was weakened by dividing the Punjabi speaking areas into many

provinces. The only bright spot was the newly carved East Punjab where it has

been recognized as the official language. Despite such prolonged hostility by

the rulers of the Punjab, it has been kept alive by Sufis, Gurus, Bhagats and

the intellectuals of the Punjab. Nevertheless, the advancement of communication

technology is creating new pressures on the Punjabi language and culture. Some

feel that Punjabi will be extinct if special efforts are not made to revive

Punjabi language and culture. The Academy of the Punjab in North America (APNA)

has been created to be a partner in saving the Punjabi from extinction.

Aims and Objectives of APNA:

The essential purpose of APNA will be to promote Punjabi in all communities of

the Punjab. Therefore, it is intended to be a non-political, non-religious,

non-racial and gender neutral organization. To achieve this purpose, APNA will

stress on the following activities:

(1) Teach written Punjabi in all parts of the Punjab. It will encourage the

learning of Shahmukhi and Gurmukhi scripts by all Punjabis.

(2) Special efforts will be made to involve Punjabi females who are going to be

the most important factor in influencing the future of the Punjabi language. No

"mother tongue can survive unless it has the blessings of the mothers."

(3) To overcome the geographical limitations, APNA intends to transcribe the

essential Punjabi literature in all scripts (Shahmukhi, Gurmukhi and possibly

Hindi) and make arrangements to publish them in India, Pakistan and abroad.

(4) APNA will publish a Punjabi magazine that can be monthly or quarterly.

However, the magazine will be published both in Shahmukhi and Gurmukhi scripts.

(5) APNA will establish a theater and film group to produce Punjabi stage

plays, TV plays and films.

(6) APNA will establish a library for books and audio-visual material for the

purpose of preservation and education.

(7) APNA will make arrangements to import the Punjabi books magazines and

newspapers from East and West Punjab in order to keep the community updated.

(8 ) APNA will arrange seminars and workshops on subjects related to the Punjab

and Punjabi.

Become a member of APNA here:

Click here: http://www.apnaorg.com/memberslist/members.php

map.JPG

The site is FANTASTIC. I have highly recomended it to my students!!! Amazing how you can get most of Panjab's SUfiana Kalam on one site in Shahmukhi script. beautifull!!!!

Sat Sri Akaal.

lalleshvari, please think about showing your solidarity with APNA and become a member. Also, if you have some spare time, join in some of the discussions there: - http://www.apnaorg.com/guestbook/guestbook.html

APNA is an organization which combines what is every Punjabis heritage under one roof.

Also encourage your students to join.

ps, Im glad to have found at least 1 person here who has knowledge about Shahmukhi script and does not shy away from it!

Guest Javanmard

Shahmukhi si absolutely beautiful. I practice calligraphy and Nastaliq is so so so so so so beautiful. What I trying now is to apply some of the techniques to Gurmukhi to create similar effects. If you look at the Gurus' handwriting... :bow: such grace, majesty and beauty. Their ekomkars are so fluent and graceful, nothing to do with the contrived printed form used nowadays... THe beauty of cutting your own kalam and preparing your own ink... :D:D:D:D:D:D I love calligraphy!!!!

Shahmukhi si absolutely beautiful. I practice calligraphy and Nastaliq is so so so so so so beautiful. What I trying now is to apply some of the techniques to Gurmukhi to create similar effects. If you look at the Gurus' handwriting... :bow: such grace, majesty and beauty. Their ekomkars are so fluent and graceful, nothing to do with the contrived printed form used nowadays... THe beauty of cutting your own kalam and preparing your own ink... :D:D:D:D:D:D I love calligraphy!!!!

I agree. Shahmukhi script looks good. Being the first developed script used for the Punjabi language, it is a shame that Shahmukhi is almost dead now.

Shahmukhi should be taught to all school children in East Punjab.

If you speak Punjabi you can learn it youself here: http://www.apnaorg.com/shahmukhi/

• 5 weeks later...

Programme on Punjabi culture tomorrow

Our Correspondent

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20031225/ldh2.htm#8

Ludhiana, December 24

The Punjabi Culture Study Circle International (PCSCI) and the Punjab Majlis International (PMI) are organising a literary programme on December 26 at the Punjabi Bhavan here to felicitate Mr Safir Rammah, coordinator of America-based Academy of Punjab in North America (APNA).

According to Ms Manu Sharma Sohal, chief coordinator, PCSCI, and Mr Charanjit Singh, Chairperson of PMI, Mr Rammah will be honoured with the award of “Wirsay da Waris†award Dr Jagtar Dhiman and Prof Kulwant Jagraon said that on this occasion, Ms Aisha from the USA, Mr Jaswant Zaffar and Mr Prem Singh Bajaj will also be presented “Sarghi di Loeâ€, “Kaav Deep†and “Sahit Sagar,†awards respectively, in recognition of their contributions towards the promotion of Punjab and Punjabiat, Punjabi poetry and cartoon art and the conservation of literary collection and the maintenance of the Reference library in the Punjabi Bhavan.

Mr Rammah is a known international figure for his efforts in promoting Punjabi and Punjabiat across the borders through APNA. The meeting would be presided over by Dr Surjit Patar and attended by literary persons from different parts of the state, including NRIs and representatives of different literary organisations.

On this occasion, the first phase report of a comprehensive survey on cultural pollution in Punjab, carried out by Dr Jagtar Dhiman and Mr Manu Sharma Sohal of the PCCI, will also be released. A DVD on a Punjab village, prepared by Canada-based Joginder Kalsi will be presented. Executives of the PCCI and the PMI have urged residents to participate in the function.

I want to ask this question. Whats the difference between shahmukhi and Urdu? I want to learn now as it seems interesting but I want to finish sanskrit first which im learning from this pundit ji lives near to my house.

I want to ask this question. Whats the difference between shahmukhi and Urdu? I want to learn now as it seems interesting but I want to finish sanskrit first which im learning from this pundit ji lives near to my house.

Shahmukhi is a script which is used to write Punjabi whereas Urdu is different language.

Urdu script was taken from Punjabi (Shahmukhi) so it more-or-less has the same alphabet but when you read something written in Shahmukhi it is in the Punjabi language and when you read something in Urdu, obviously it is going to be in Urdu.

Its like French and English use the same alphabet, but are different languages. An English speaking person can read French but cant understand it (unless he knows the language).

An Urdu or Persian speaking person could probably read Shahmukhi, but unless they know Punjabi they wont understand what they are reading.

Safir Rammah honoured

Our Correspondent

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20031228/ldh1.htm#12

ldh3.jpg - Dr Surjit Pattar honours Safi Rammah at a function organised by the Punjabi Cultural Study Circle and the Punjabi Mazlis International at the Punjabi Bhavan.

Ludhiana, December 27

The Punjabi Culture Study Circle International (PCSCI) and the Punjabi Majlis International (PMI) organised a literary programme at the Punjabi Bhavan to felicitate Safir Rammah, coordinator of an America-based company in North America. Safir Rammah was honoured with “Virsay da Wasi†award. Mohtarma Aisha from the USA, Jaswant Zaffar and Principal Prem Singh Bajaj were also awarded with “Sarghi di Loeâ€, “Kaav Deep†and “Sahit Sagar†awards, respectively, in recognition of their contribution towards the promotion of Punjabi, Punjabi poetry, conservation of literary collections and maintenance of reference library at the Punjabi Bhavan.

Safir Rammah is a known international figure for his outstanding efforts in promoting Punjabi and Punjabiat across the borders through the academy of the Punjab in North America (APNA).